Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A few FLIR photos of the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very interesting pictures! My guess is that it would be the temperature control system for the battery pack. Maybe the driver side of the car is where the HVAC for the interior of the car is. I believe there are two or three small radiators up front in the nose area of the car, so perhaps the passenger side radiator is tasked with managing the battery heat exchange and all the connectors are run on that side and the interior HVAC exchange system is linked to the driver side radiator. If there is a radiator behind the nose (can't remember off hand if there is one or not) that might be shared between the two systems?

Try turning on the AC in the car and see if that causes the driver side area to heat up and display on the FLIR photo.

Cool to see some reflections in the thermal, especially the charge port shot.

The pumps that are actively involved in managing the battery coolant as it charges, are in the floor of the Frunk.math at is expected. I'm not sure what is so hot above the microwave hole of the Frunk.

It would be interesting to capture the pack and see where those hotspots are.

Thanks for sharing.

These infrared shots of the model s charging show a surprising amount of heat build up in the frunk. Any idea what component is on the left hand side active during charging?

Thermal Model S - Imgur
I'm guessing the images were taken in full sun and the left side is reflection.
There are radiators in front and if that's on a supercharger you'll have heat pouring out of the wheel wells in ~10 minutes. It should not be on one side only.

Aluminum is an awesome conductor of heat... that much of a localized temperature difference is most likely due to the sun... here's what a supercharging MS looks like...
FLIR0133.jpg