TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

A little perspective-My final visit to an ICE car dealership

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by Al Sherman, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

I'm sitting in the waiting room at the Toyota dealer. It's strange but I really feel as if I don't belong here. The Prius is getting a new 12 volt. 210 dollars for the battery and another 100 bucks to put it in. Ranger service at the house anybody?

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

That's expensive. Mine have been ~$200 including installation from the dealer. In the Prius groups I tell people to find another dealer.

3. Al Sherman

The local auto parts guy quoted 210 without install. My local mechanic said I should take it to Toyota. Never thought about a different dealer. Probably not a bad idea.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

I changed mine myself with Toyota Prius 12 Volt Auxiliary Battery with install kit for 2004 - 11, before there was a direct fit (pencil post) version. This guy was more work since I had to change out the negative cable and positive terminal. It's not THAT tough. As I posted at Optima D51 battery - why elearnaid? Seattle area installers? | PriusChat, it took me about 1.5 hours while parked in front of an auto parts store (so I could either borrow or buy tools, if I needed them).

The direct fit version (Optima DS46B24R Optima battery direct fit replacement for Prius 2004 + with Instructions) is less work. No need to change terminal or cable.

If you have a Gen 3 Prius (2010+ model year), it looks like WAY less work than a Gen 2. On Gen 3, there are fewer things in the way that need to be removed.

$210 w/o install sounds high, see New 12v Battery, Part #28800-21171 | PriusChat (I actually met the OP and he's quite a car DIYer). The price was crazy and later got fixed, see New 12v Battery, Part #28800-21171 | Page 3 | PriusChat.

If I were going to spent $210, I'd buy the Optima Yellow Top.

5. Al Sherman

Sounds as if I paid too much. Oh well. The new owner will be happy. I'm selling it to a friend for what the trade in would have given me.I caught up on all the recalls too. My friend is happy, and I will not have the trade in/private market hassle. It's a Gen 2 and I would never consider doing it myself. Too many wires.:smile: My local ICE mechanic respectfully opted out.

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Do a group hug with all the people there before you leave to say goodbye:smile:

7. Al Sherman

LOL. I felt kinda sneaky about not telling them I wouldn't be back. It really WAS a strange feeling of NOT belonging there.