TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

A Model S was on fire in US, what do you think of a reason caused?

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by nov3698, Oct 3, 2013.

1. nov3698

nov3698 Member

#1 nov3698, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    A Model S was caught on fire in US, what do you think of a reason caused?

As titled, a kind of concern why it happened and how they can prevent that in future production. Will this cause longer or even delay more our deliveries due to improvement?

I know it is unusual and only happened once, but still, not a very good news to the market (even this causes their share price dropped about 9% yesterday at most).

Just share your thoughts please, bros.

PS. Will try to find more info as just got this news from my friend before leaving the office today...! :)

2. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

There's a ridiculously long thread on this here, with speculation ranging from propane tanks to UFO's (I kid you not!). The bottom line is that right now, nobody really knows what happened, but, at the very least, the incident was triggered by a large metal object in the road, whatever that might have been. Statistically,even if it does prove to be a pack fire (caused by a puncture or multiple punctures to the underside pack), it's still trivial compared to the fire incident rates in ICE vehicles.

3. nov3698

nov3698 Member

Thanks Pete, it's really a long thread there. I have to take sometime to see if the owner did say something to this incident (i truly want to see what his has experienced). Also hope this doesn't cause us even higher insurance expense in HK though.

4. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Understood. Not sure what the roads are like in HK these days (I was a kid when I was last there), but there's all sorts of junk on the roads over here. Stuff falls from trucks and cars all the time, sometime contents, sometimes actual bits of car, maintenance standards over here, at least in Texas, are minimal. I hit a scaffold plate (the 'foot' of a scaffold pole that would normally site on a hard surface) in my last car and it made 7 or 8 punctures in the underside before lodging itself near the rear (just before the fuel tank). So I don't doubt that a 'metal object' could cause serious damage to any car, but there's no reason to believe this one-off incident would cause a hike in insurance rates, Tesla have already gone on the record to say that the damage was caused by the metal object, it's not a spontaneous event.

5. jkliu47

jkliu47 Member

Here is link to the official response from Elon Musk, along with the driver's email correspondence with Tesla.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/model-s-fire

And pete8314 fyi the roads in HK and mainland China are in equal or better condition than what we encounter here in the US.

6. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Not a surprise, unfortunately :-(

7. lx3h

lx3h Charged.hk TSLA Grp Rep

8. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Don't you know that in case of fire Tesla will give you back a new Model S for free? This should mean no increase of the insurance expense at all IMO.

9. MarkR

MarkR Member

The internet-connected nature of the Model S probably makes the car the single most monitored car ever produced. I've been watching Tesla as a company for more than four years and have been an owner for the past 13 months. I'm impressed with their ability to spot many problems before they are apparent to owners and their desire to correct challenges as soon as anyone notices an issue. Frankly, due to the newness of the technologies that Tesla has deployed, I'm surprised with the lack of problems.

10. CCT

CCT Member

lx3h, that's precisely why I'd spend that much money to get a Model S as my first car instead of other cars, just like yourself! Of course, buying an EV in HK means saving you A LOT of costs such as FRT, License fees, petrol, etc. too!

11. lx3h

lx3h Charged.hk TSLA Grp Rep

Can't agree more. CCT. I just hope I can afford it, because currently, I can't.