Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Mostly Positive CPO Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just purchased a early 2015 pre refresh S85 with 32,000 miles out of the Bay Area. It took 9 days from deposit to delivery. I am very happy with the car. It looks great. The delivery experience was not seamless but in the end it worked out. One of the pictures showed an error on the display that said "Vehicle needs service, cannot DC fast charge". I just assumed that it had been fixed already when i put the deposit down. I asked my contact at Tesla about it and he said he didn't know but the car was under warranty so it wouldn't be a problem. We set up a delivery date and the day before delivery he called me and said it had not been fixed yet and that the car could be charged from a wall charger but not a supercharger. He offered to delay the delivery while it was fixed but gave me the option to take delivery as is and get it fixed at the Rocklin service center. As I already had a wall charger installed at my house and no plans to supercharge, I decided to take delivery figuring that it would let me scope the car out for other issues that could then be fixed at the same time. I let them know i lived 160 miles away and requested the car be charged enough to get me home. On the way down to pick the car they called and said it didn't have enough charge and the delivery would be delayed while they charged it. We were going to meet them about 30 miles my side of the Fremont delivery center so we offered to go all the way to Fremont and meet them 2 hours late at noon in the Target parking lot. Unfortunately I didn't get the phone number of my delivery person. I had non contact from Tesla from 9:30AM on. We waited and waited while i tried contacting every person I had ever had contact with at Tesla with no luck (it was Saturday). Finally at 1:30 PM we decided to go 30 miles up I680 too the original delivery point thinking maybe they had gone there. We got there at about 2PM and just as we arrived my delivery person called the car was in detail and he would be leaving with it shortly. We arranged to meet where we are at (Alamo is sure a neat town, the Ace hardware store is awesome). He finally showed with the car and it met all my expectations until I looked at the range. It only had 144 miles of range and home was 131 miles away with no ability to supercharge. I had only driven my friends S85D for a few miles and had never charged one. I didn't know where to find a destination charger along the way and needless to say was not very happy about the situation. The car computed that we could get home by staying under 60 MPH and not using climate control. I told my 3 teenage daughters they had to ride home in the other vehicle :)

Posted that before i was done. Maybe the best it was getting long. I set my cruise on 55 and headed home up 680, 80, 505 and I5. We made it with a little to spare but it was not a good first drive. I drove along thinking about all the people passing me thinking " there goes another Tesla driver trying to make it to a charger"

Now the saga continues. I set up a service center appointment to get the charger fixed. A friend of mine had just had an appointment and the offered to fix it in the new service center in Chico. I know, your going to say they don't have a service center in Chico. Well, that's true but the are currently setting one up at the Solar City location. My friend got me the managers number, I called him and he moved my service from Rocklin to Chico. The car wouldn't update, had a trim piece loose and a bug in the taillight and the drive unit was making more noise than I thought it should. It currently is in for service. They are replacing the trim piece, the taillight, the MCU, the main charger, and the drive unit. The service manager doesn't know if the MCU will be MCU2 or not he says its is a retrofit kit classified as MCU premium???? He believes I will be getting the new more efficient drive unit also. That seems to good to be true so we will see. I have my fingers crossed and hoping it is. We drove the car for a little over a week and love it. Hoping to get it back from service early next week.

Now the saga continues. I set up a service center appointment to get the charger fixed. A friend of mine had just had an appointment and the offered to fix it in the new service center in Chico. I know, your going to say they don't have a service center in Chico. Well, that's true but the are currently setting one up at the Solar City location. My friend got me the managers number, I called him and he moved my service from Rocklin to Chico. The car wouldn't update, had a trim piece loose and a bug in the taillight and the drive unit was making more noise than I thought it should. It currently is in for service. They are replacing the trim piece, the taillight, the MCU, the main charger, and the drive unit. The service manager doesn't know if the MCU will be MCU2 or not he says its is a retrofit kit classified as MCU premium???? He believes I will be getting the new more efficient drive unit also. That seems to good to be true so we will see. I have my fingers crossed and hoping it is. We drove the car for a little over a week and love it. Hoping to get it back from service early next week.

Wow! A little jealous even though you had problems off the rip, they seem to be delivering on the backend. Fingers crossed you get the MCU 2 and new drive unit!

Reactions: rafacq
Sorry to hear about the SA and the dent Rafacp, but otherwise the car looks amazing. I've usually heard really good things about the SA's and Delivery advisors in the San Diego area. My SA was in the So Cal area actually.

Neither my sales advisor nor the Internal Delivery Advisor were in San Diego. The delivery advisor gets an 8/10, the sales advisor a 0/10. San Diego Delivery Team 9.5/10. Took half a point because I think the dent on my car should have been better disclosed. It was hard to see and because I read in this group to make a careful visual inspection, I almost missed it. They claim you could see it in a photo they sent me, there is no way I can see it in the photo. They should have flagged it for repair by Tesla at my home location. They didn't and I did not want to fight it. But it is ok, the 2 dents were fixed perfectly by a Local Tesla Service Center recommended Paintless Dent Repair repair man. $250. Not bad for an otherwise very low miles, MINT condition car.

rafacq - is that the deep blue paint? Beautiful car!

Yes, the original Pacific Metallic Blue (PMMB). Since we had only seen the car in photos, which were not great quality, we thought it was going to be a different blue, more like the newer ones. When we were told the car was outside waiting for us to view/inspect it, WOW! Both my wife and I could not believe what a great blue color we got! WE SIMPLY LOVE IT!