Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Question of Objectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

S4WRXTTCS

May 3, 2015
Snohomish, WA
I'm starting to get really irked at the growing influence corporations have over our social network. The way corporations permeate their way through our network of friends. People we interact with online, and sometimes in real life.

Some of it at first glance seems rather benign like the Tesla referral program. Tesla can say they're simply rewarding people for what they know has already been happening. Where owners themselves have sold quite a new of them. But, the problem is once the manufacture starts to rewards them then it can lead to owners being disingenuous about their ownership experience.

It's easy to chuckle at that one because it's not too bad. It's something I can simply disagree with, and not participate.

But, there are times where i feel like I have to participate in some ridiculous game. The other day I went to pre-order the next generation boosted board, but then I realized I'd get a $100 off if a friend who pre-ordered the board referred me, and they'd get a $100 credit as well. He ordered first (using someone else's referral), and then I ordered (he's a teacher and I'm an engineer so the math is easy on that one). But, if I didn't make as much I'd be in a tough spot. Where my desire to have the board would push me to convince a bunch of people to buy the board so that i would get $100 for each one who ordered and kept the board through the 30 day return policy.

There are also times where it corrupts an entire group of people. There is a Facebook owners group page for another electric longboard. On that group the manufacture (who isn't the owner of the group) cherry picked a few people to be ambassadors. Where the manufacture gave them free boards, etc. It sounds like a cool thing at first because they can talk about their experience with the board, and everyone knows who they are. They were the cool people that posted a lot before they ever became "ambassadors". The problem is once they became ambassadors they lost the ability to be objective since of course they didn't want to lose the ambassadorship.

I'm starting to get really irked at the growing influence corporations have over our social network. The way corporations permeate their way through our network of friends. People we interact with online, and sometimes in real life.

Some of it at first glance seems rather benign like the Tesla referral program. Tesla can say they're simply rewarding people for what they know has already been happening. Where owners themselves have sold quite a new of them. But, the problem is once the manufacture starts to rewards them then it can lead to owners being disingenuous about their ownership experience.

It's easy to chuckle at that one because it's not too bad. It's something I can simply disagree with, and not participate.

But, there are times where i feel like I have to participate in some ridiculous game. The other day I went to pre-order the next generation boosted board, but then I realized I'd get a $100 off if a friend who pre-ordered the board referred me, and they'd get a $100 credit as well. He ordered first (using someone else's referral), and then I ordered (he's a teacher and I'm an engineer so the math is easy on that one). But, if I didn't make as much I'd be in a tough spot. Where my desire to have the board would push me to convince a bunch of people to buy the board so that i would get $100 for each one who ordered and kept the board through the 30 day return policy.

There are also times where it corrupts an entire group of people. There is a Facebook owners group page for another electric longboard. On that group the manufacture (who isn't the owner of the group) cherry picked a few people to be ambassadors. Where the manufacture gave them free boards, etc. It sounds like a cool thing at first because they can talk about their experience with the board, and everyone knows who they are. They were the cool people that posted a lot before they ever became "ambassadors". The problem is once they became ambassadors they lost the ability to be objective since of course they didn't want to lose the ambassadorship.
with all due respect, grow up!

• Disagree
Reactions: v12 to 12v
with all due respect, grow up!

Do I just need to grow up? Or does everyone that expresses the kind of concern that I did need to grow up? I know I'm not the only one that feels the way I do about the topic I ranted about. I picked examples on things I felt were shared interests, but it's far from limited to just those.

It was a rant after all that I left in a far off corner meant for general chit-chat, and people clearly just wasting time. The last time I posted here I posted about my experiences buying a bidet, but no one told me to grow up. Apparently you were slacking off on your duties that day, and you didn't meet your quota for telling strangers on the internet to grow up.

Oh, and I have a question about growing up? How do I know I've grown up?

I pay my taxes
I pay all my bills
I take responsibilities for the mistakes I make and I correct them.
I make sure my mom is taken care of

Sure I have my failings

I spend more time than one should telling people they're wrong on the internet. I told you just a few minutes ago you were wrong on a different post. For some unknown reason you have two Tesla's yet you don't understand how they limit power in certain cases. You were giving incorrect information so I corrected you. Not for your benefit, but to make sure others knew how it worked.
I don't donate enough (I'm extremely cynical and they'll simply find a way to screw up again)
i don't stop for stop signs on my bike. It's extremely annoying to lose momentum.
I'm still fascinated by boobs.

What exactly is growing up anyways? How do I know i've grown up?

Not that I really want to grow up when all the supposed grown ups are making such a mess of things.

Last edited: