TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

A123 Systems battery powered car

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by emanresu, Jul 7, 2007.

1. emanresu

emanresu Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Ev-battery is selling A123 systems batteries!

If I had 168k lying around to pay for 1000lbs of these batteries and a bit more to pay for 4 of these, and an AC inverter, I would build the fastest 1/4 mile / street car ever. 1000lbs of these batteries make 1.62 million watts of power which is equivalent to 2172hp. Imagine 500hp motors on every wheel in a car that weights only 4388lbs.

Weight of the batteries (1000lbs) + the weight of the 4 motors (4 * 147 = 588lbs) plus the weight of the car (2800lbs?) = 4388lbs total

Thats 2.02 lbs per horsepower! 2x the power to weight ratio of a Bugatti Veyron, and you know what they say; 1 electric hp = 2 ICE hp. 1 second car for sure

Im wondering 3 things now;
    1) how do I get 168k+
    2) why hasnt anybody done this already?
    3) what would be the best car to convert?
  2. bikergod

bikergod Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Your new nickname would be sparky.
  3. danny

danny Administrator

Aug 15, 2006
    This comes near what you are describing:

The Audi R-Zero Electric Wet Dream

by Jacob Gordon, Nashville, TN on 10.18.06

Cars & Transportation (cars)

There’s not a lot to say about the Audi R-Zero. Tell you the truth, I’m not even sure it’s much more than a fantasy. But everyone needs some EV eyecandy now and again, and since you can’t look at naughty pictures at the office, go nuts. The R-Zero is an electric muscle car that came from the minds of three students at France’s International School of Design. Four in-wheel motors would give this car a top speed of 286 mph, 1091 horsepower, and 0-62 in 3 seconds. The real question is: when’s the head-to-head between the Wrightspeed, the Tesla, and the R-Zero? :: Audi R-Zero flash site, Mobile Magazine via Hugg (Linton)

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2006
    CA CA
    #4 vfx, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
    This is an old article from March of 2008. It could get filed into a lot of places but I thought (and don't remember reading) that the A123 comments were news (now old).
  5. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Central New York