Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A123 Systems battery powered car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ev-battery is selling A123 systems batteries!

If I had 168k lying around to pay for 1000lbs of these batteries and a bit more to pay for 4 of these, and an AC inverter, I would build the fastest 1/4 mile / street car ever. 1000lbs of these batteries make 1.62 million watts of power which is equivalent to 2172hp. Imagine 500hp motors on every wheel in a car that weights only 4388lbs.

Weight of the batteries (1000lbs) + the weight of the 4 motors (4 * 147 = 588lbs) plus the weight of the car (2800lbs?) = 4388lbs total

Thats 2.02 lbs per horsepower! 2x the power to weight ratio of a Bugatti Veyron, and you know what they say; 1 electric hp = 2 ICE hp. 1 second car for sure

Im wondering 3 things now;
1) how do I get 168k+
2) why hasnt anybody done this already?
3) what would be the best car to convert?

emanresu said:
Ev-battery is selling A123 systems batteries!

If I had 168k lying around to pay for 1000lbs of these batteries and a bit more to pay for 4 of these, and an AC inverter, I would build the fastest 1/4 mile / street car ever. 1000lbs of these batteries make 1.62 million watts of power which is equivalent to 2172hp. Imagine 500hp motors on every wheel in a car that weights only 4388lbs.

Weight of the batteries (1000lbs) + the weight of the 4 motors (4 * 147 = 588lbs) plus the weight of the car (2800lbs?) = 4388lbs total

Thats 2.02 lbs per horsepower! 2x the power to weight ratio of a Bugatti Veyron, and you know what they say; 1 ICE hp = 2 electric hp. 1 second car for sure

Im wondering 3 things now;
1) how do I get 168k+
2) why hasnt anybody done this already?
3) what would be the best car to convert?
Your new nickname would be sparky.

This comes near what you are describing:
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/10/the_audi_rzero.php

From www.treehugger.com

"

The Audi R-Zero Electric Wet Dream

by Jacob Gordon, Nashville, TN on 10.18.06

Cars & Transportation (cars)

R-Zero.jpg

There’s not a lot to say about the Audi R-Zero. Tell you the truth, I’m not even sure it’s much more than a fantasy. But everyone needs some EV eyecandy now and again, and since you can’t look at naughty pictures at the office, go nuts. The R-Zero is an electric muscle car that came from the minds of three students at France’s International School of Design. Four in-wheel motors would give this car a top speed of 286 mph, 1091 horsepower, and 0-62 in 3 seconds. The real question is: when’s the head-to-head between the Wrightspeed, the Tesla, and the R-Zero? :: Audi R-Zero flash site, Mobile Magazine via Hugg (Linton)
r-zero_2.jpg

r-zero_3.jpg

"