Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AAA premiums: 30 percent rise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please don't test it!

Owner's Manual is very clear that Tesla AEB does not apply brake to a complete stop. The best it can do is to reduce the speed so you can have a less forceful collision. But a collision is still a collision!

I don't even know for sure whether AEB have been reliably activating brakes in all collisions either such as in 2 documented autopilot deaths (2016 Florida and 2018 Mountain View.)
Thanks for your reply - my frustration lies with Tesla's overpromising their technology. I saw how Volvo's AEB really does work - so can't Tesla replicate that? Lowering expectations is becoming a habit in relation to Tesla - like using Slacker instead of Spotify! First-rate promises with second-rate performance.

...Volvo's AEB really does work...

I doubt any other car company has a perfect AEB. If you read their owner's manual, it would list their limitations. Some only works in slow speed. Some like Tesla only reduce speed and not necessarily to a complete stop. They should all say something that their AEB is not guaranteed to work at all times and not in all scenarios.

That's because of the nature of having radar system alone. Hopefully, someone will be able to perfect radar technology soon.

In the mean time, some have added LIDAR to radar make the system more reliable.

Tesla adds camera/TeslaVision instead of LIDAR but we have to wait for its activation.

I know that you are correct - my "peeve" is that if Tesla says an update now has Automatic Emergency Braking, but I have to go to manual and read:
Well, we said "automatic", but's not really automatic, it's sort of semi-automatic, but not really........stay alert"

Anyway, the AEB has never slowed me down, heck, the auto park is only 50% effective!.
Tesla needs to stop the hyperbole. I still love the car, though - rates 100% in COOL factor!!!!

I have AAA insurance and plan to change. I've already found one much better quote.
A recent study showed that people who stay with the same insurance company year after year are suckers. They end up paying much more for insurance.

The reason many of us stay with the same insurance company for many years is that getting quotations is very difficult and very time consuming. From TV advertisements one might think that it is quick and easy, but it is not. Generally one can save money by bundling insurance, i.e., using the same company for auto insurance, home insurance, and possibly other insurance also. Getting quotations requires actually going to insurance agents, providing information, and waiting for it to be evaluated. Even having an insurance agent which interfaces with several different insurance companies does not ensure getting the lowest rates.

I wish there were a simple solution, but it seems that there isn't one.