Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ABC7 Los Angeles just reported on the EOY fiasco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
0F224D0C-9332-4E05-99F7-F52F1CC681B1.png

No, it said something very noncommittal like order by December 8 for best chance at delivery by year end. No “promise”. No “guarantee”.

As for the “potential savings”, key word in that phrase has always been “potential”.

This is not a legal argument. Companies always have disclaimers to protect themselves when things go wrong. But the message was very clear that orders placed back in October and November were scheduled to be delivered before the end of the year. And the caveats were related to customer availability and readiness, not Tesla’s inability to perform. Customers who are placing an order for a Tesla have to rely on Tesla’s guidance for their ability to deliver.

Stated as a fact (Dec 4)

no little astrct or small print that I can see. Can you please help us understand no guaranties???
View attachment 494705
Nice find. So Tesla has conflicting information on their own site the farther down you drill. I probably shouldn’t be surprised. ;)

So how do you suggest they are held to this “promise”, and which promise takes precedent?

Note that if you clicked the “order” button on that page on Dec 4, you were taken to the page with the pop up I posted above. So does that new information take precedent?

Nice find. So Tesla has conflicting information on their own site the farther down you drill. I probably shouldn’t be surprised. ;)

So how do you suggest they are held to this “promise”, and which promise takes precedent?

You keep talking like a lawyer. Nobody is arguing anything about legal requirements here. Tesla clearly was communicating to customers that they would get their cars by years end. Who cares whether there was an asterisk. If the message was that your car was going to be delivered and they did not come through, of course customers are going to be upset about it. How could you expect otherwise?

Production issues have happened in my line of work too. I’m (slightly) sympathetic to the overall situation for everyone, including Tesla. The thing that strikes me as disingenuous is the fact that Tesla maintained their promises until the last few days even though it was certainly clear that they couldn’t keep them weeks ago.

Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
You keep talking like a lawyer. Nobody is arguing anything about legal requirements here. Tesla clearly was communicating to customers that they would get their cars by years end. Who cares whether there was an asterisk. If the message was that your car was going to be delivered and they did not come through, of course customers are going to be upset about it. How could you expect otherwise?
Who said anything about expecting people not to be upset or disappointed? That’s a very human and understandable reaction.

I’m saying that making up promises or guarantees that didn’t exist to prop up that disappointment and indignation is disingenuous.

Who said anything about expecting people not to be upset or disappointed? That’s a very human and understandable reaction.

I’m saying that making up promises or guarantees that didn’t exist to prop up that disappointment and indignation is disingenuous.

“Orders placed by today will be available by 12/31”. I’m not sure what else you really need here. Let’s just agree to disagree.

So many people have appointments to pick up their Tesla's at 8pm in Fremont, you know something is in the air.

Careful: The salesman today said 8pm is a "nominal time," not an appointment. Don't everyone show up at 8pm.

It's the "There's no such thing as bad publicity" kind of PR. If they actually do finish those cars (sorry, they've flaked on me many times now) all of us disrupting our plans to get to the factory tomorrow night won't be happy (including my wife with a cold).

"Your Model 3 will finish being built tomorrow afternoon. To expedite your delivery experience, we will text you when your Model 3 is complete. Please plan to arrive at the Tesla Factory within 90 minutes of receiving that text."

I got the same msg @ 8:55 PM PST this evening.
I guess we are on-call, and maybe no "big event" @ 8 PM tomorrow?
Not complaining, just pretty amazed at the wild ride.

No, it said something very noncommittal like order by December 8 for best chance at delivery by year end. No “promise”. No “guarantee”.

As for the “potential savings”, key word in that phrase has always been “potential”.

early december the order site showed something like 'order by dec 8th for guaranteed delivery by dec 31st'
but it's always easy for companies to over promise and not deliver, while consumers usually have hard deadlines with financial consequences if passed.

potential savings is garbage tho, the price you pay is the money you gotta come up with regardless

I would be upset as well. Website did say as screenshot here shows. Maybe Tesla will give some free super charging or credits for those that missed out. Still sucks. Demand did not fall off even thought tax credit has been halving and will be gone next year all together.

The "event" at Tesla Factory New Year's Eve @ 8 pm is big enough to attract Elon Musk:

upload_2019-12-31_0-8-50.png

No money on advertising, but a ton of money on public relations. This is the Silicon Valley way! Musk and Tesla are constantly getting press coverage when they do anything - even fart. That doesn't come free!

Come on! The "event" at the factory tomorrow night is one big PR event. Nothing from an advertising budget, but lots from PR.

So many people have appointments to pick up their Tesla's at 8pm in Fremont, you know something is in the air.

It works .... I guess that's all that matters.

The "event" at Tesla Factory New Year's Eve @ 8 pm is big enough to attract Elon Musk:

View attachment 494719

didn’t realize Tesla Club members would be helping out there too. Nice for them to get some recognition and thanks in a tweet. Really sounds like they can use the help and only wonder the number of people invited to the Factory location. I’m now thinking it got moved there to facilitate the largest number of buyers getting cars in the remaining hours without having to lose time (delivery staff and transport teams) going between factory and what would be the permanent DC in Fremont. This is a crazy set up for employees and buyers.

didn’t realize Tesla Club members would be helping out there too. Nice for them to get some recognition and thanks in a tweet. Really sounds like they can use the help and only wonder the number of people invited to the Factory location. I’m now thinking it got moved there to facilitate the largest number of buyers getting cars in the remaining hours without having to lose time (delivery staff and transport teams) going between factory and what would be the permanent DC in Fremont. This is a crazy set up for employees and buyers.

Yes, it was reported yesterday that "No Parking" signs have been placed in a large part of the parking lot in front of the Factory sales office. In past years, a fairly large white tent was constructed in that area. I expect the tent(s) will be bigger this year. Since I live above the factory, I will stop by to V3 supercharge just to check out what is in store during the daytime tomorrow. I'm also volunteering a 5-7 pm time slot at the FDC to help new owners pair their phones with their cars, etc.

Unpopular opinion but Musks presence will not help, it will disrupt the whole process.

Everyone wants Musk giving them paperwork over Tom dick Jane and Harry.

Only way this works is they have a line to exit the parking lot and Musk does a quick photo op with every buyer assembly line style.

I can't see Musk doing any paperwork. I agree that it should just be selfies with the happy new Tesla owners. I'm sure he will bring his bodyguard(s) so nothing can get out of hand due to his popularity.

Reactions: MXWing
I think some people will just be happy to get their cars and move on to their plans for NYE or just go home at that point and get off the roads and avoid DUI drivers. Sure lots of people have football game parties planned for Wednesday so happy to get home early. Others will be delighted to see him there and be part of the Event.

@engle, as someone who received help setting up my phone dock at the FDC from a volunteer at my delivery, I think it’s great you can help in this way. I was very grateful to leave with my car able to “talk” to my husband in the other car driving home. Have a happy new year.