Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ABC7 Los Angeles just reported on the EOY fiasco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had an interview with an owner who essentially expressed all the frustration many here are feeling with not getting their vehicles before the tax credit expires. Reporter said she asked Tesla for comment but hasn't heard back yet.

Just passing on the story. I personally think Tesla/Elon will make it right for people who ordered within the 4-6 week window, but news exposure like this is important to ensure it happens.

It’s $1800 on a $40k-$60k car - it’s not the end of the world.

Don’t underestimate how much people like giving the government less money on their tax returns. The dollar amount is small but the satisfaction of paying the government a little bit less seems to be creating a complete frenzy in people’s quest to get their cars by tomorrow.

If Tesla simply offered an $1,875 incentive for end of year sales it would have barely been noticed.

I can see it now...crazy person shows up at a Tesla delivery center with a gun and threatens to take someone out if Tesla doesn’t sell them a car.

The frenzy is getting a bit silly. It’s like when a new Iphone used to come out and people would camp out at the stores days before they went on sale.

Tesla is selling cars at full MSRP, which they just raised by $1,000 a few weeks ago, and people are clamoring for a chance to get one by tomorrow to save $1,875 on their taxes. The $1,875 credit has been around since October 1. And it was twice that much the previous quarter, when the cars were priced lower than today. So this is not new information here.

Toyota sells far more Camrys than Tesla Model 3’s. If they put out a $3,000 incentive to buy one by the end of the year it would barely get noticed. But Elon and the Tesla marketing machine have created the hype they needed to get things to this point. I guess you have to give him credit since they spend nothing on advertising.

Just be patient folks. If you don’t get your car tomorrow there will be opportunities to get cars after January 1. Demand has always softened after a tax credit reduction and I see no reason why it won’t do so again next year. When I bought my car in March they threw in a free wheel upgrade to close the deal. Those opportunities will come back.

Don’t underestimate how much people like giving the government less money on their tax returns. The dollar amount is small but the satisfaction of paying the government a little bit less seems to be creating a complete frenzy in people’s quest to get their cars by tomorrow.

If Tesla simply offered an $1,875 incentive for end of year sales it would have barely been noticed.

i think that's the main thing, paying less for taxes feels better
but agree with @Atomic1der, there aren't many Electric cars available now that has the tech and design M3 offers

Just be patient folks. If you don’t get your car tomorrow there will be opportunities to get cars after January 1. Demand has always softened after a tax credit reduction and I see no reason why it won’t do so again next year. When I bought my car in March they threw in a free wheel upgrade to close the deal. Those opportunities will come back.

i would gladly take the free wheel upgrade :)

++agreed. The same satisfaction in paying in pennies etc. Sticking it to the govt etc.

Cost aside, Tesla promised 2019 deliveries on orders made before about Dec. 8. The overcommitment was their own doing.

They flaked on the delivery appointment and on promises to notify me. Their follow-through is comically absent. I have to keep calling.

Now they claim to be starting (again) on my Nov. 9 order; that they'll call sometime tomorrow afternoon or evening when it's ready, and now we'll need to get a ride to the factory on New Year's eve.

Our plans have been repeatedly disrupted. They wasted a lot of my time.

As I was about to send this, they sent me a text message. (SMS is a best-efforts delivery service, people.) "Your Model 3 will finish being built tomorrow afternoon. To expedite your delivery experience, we will text you when your Model 3 is complete. Please plan to arrive at the Tesla Factory within 90 minutes of receiving that text."

But Elon and the Tesla marketing machine have created the hype they needed to get things to this point. I guess you have to give him credit since they spend nothing on advertising.

No money on advertising, but a ton of money on public relations. This is the Silicon Valley way! Musk and Tesla are constantly getting press coverage when they do anything - even fart. That doesn't come free!

Come on! The "event" at the factory tomorrow night is one big PR event. Nothing from an advertising budget, but lots from PR.

So many people have appointments to pick up their Tesla's at 8pm in Fremont, you know something is in the air.

It works .... I guess that's all that matters.

I can see it now...crazy person shows up at a Tesla delivery center with a gun and threatens to take someone out if Tesla doesn’t sell them a car.

The frenzy is getting a bit silly. It’s like when a new Iphone used to come out and people would camp out at the stores days before they went on sale.

Tesla is selling cars at full MSRP, which they just raised by $1,000 a few weeks ago, and people are clamoring for a chance to get one by tomorrow to save $1,875 on their taxes. The $1,875 credit has been around since October 1. And it was twice that much the previous quarter, when the cars were priced lower than today. So this is not new information here.

Toyota sells far more Camrys than Tesla Model 3’s. If they put out a $3,000 incentive to buy one by the end of the year it would barely get noticed. But Elon and the Tesla marketing machine have created the hype they needed to get things to this point. I guess you have to give him credit since they spend nothing on advertising.

As I said the other day, these M3’s are emotional buys right now (guilty as charged).
I can see the Y take the whole insanity level up another full notch:eek:

What was unclear? Tesla never “promised” or made any other guarantee that orders placed by December 8 would be delivered by the end of the year.

Of course they did. It was clearly stated on their website that if you placed your order by December 8th you would get delivery by end of year. The tax credit was even factored in to the price with included potential savings. What more do you need?

Of course they did. It was clearly stated on their website that if you placed your order by December 8th you would get delivery by end of year.
No, it said something very noncommittal like order by December 8 for best chance at delivery by year end. No “promise”. No “guarantee”.

As for the “potential savings”, key word in that phrase has always been “potential”.