Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ABC7 Los Angeles just reported on the EOY fiasco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone commenting about how the tax credit should have no bearing on your decision, especially by implying that “if you need it, you’re not being financially responsible by making the purchase,” is being truly hypocritical.

Go ask a financial planner if you should opt NOT to take a 3.7%+ discount on any purchase and let me know what they say.

I imagine that about 99% of the people placing their order before the deadline are getting their cars before EOY.

From what I understand, certain configurations did not make the deadline, and those people will be moved into next month.

Not the end of the world and certainly not worth all the drama ginned up in the press and on forums.

Nobody knows for certain what accomodations may be made for those customers, but with demand still through the roof for these aspirational cars, many feel that only their delivery date will be moved forward a couple weeks, but their contract price will still be honored, even if the prices increase after the first of the year.

Tonight will be filled with joy for many, but disappointment for a few.

Seeing Elon showing up for this final hour delivery push shows the concern from management to get every possible customer car delivered before the ball drops on 2019.

As a little (but significant) bonus, all the recent deliveries in late 2019 are being dated as 2020's.

Everyone commenting about how the tax credit should have no bearing on your decision, especially by implying that “if you need it, you’re not being financially responsible by making the purchase,” is being truly hypocritical.

Go ask a financial planner if you should opt NOT to take a 3.7%+ discount on any purchase and let me know what they say.

Financial planners will rarely advise anyone to buy a brand new car. They usually recommend bicycles :)
-Exception is for profitable small business owners to buy a new Model X to take advantage of the Section 179 write off plus instant 100% depreciation.

Reactions: holmgang
Financial planners will rarely advise anyone to buy a brand new car. They usually recommend bicycles :)
-Exception is for profitable small business owners to buy a new Model X to take advantage of the Section 179 write off plus instant 100% depreciation.

Agreed, and especially not on credit. But the point remains- having the means to not need the credit has no relation to whether or not trying to take advantage of the credit is a good move.

Agreed. Everybody wants the credit, but the car is still a good value without it.

If two identical Tesla were ready for delivery, and one had $1875 cash in the trunk, but the other one didn't, guess which one most would choose to drive away.

A very Happy New Years to all those happy people taking delivery tonight. For those getting bumped into next year, hope something can be done to keep you feeling Merry & Bright.

Agreed. My M3P may not be good financial move (great for the environment though), but we purchased MX for precisely the reason you cited above.

Hope everyone enjoys the NYE and have a wonderful 2020.

View attachment 494824 This is what it said for California buyers early December. Had no disclaimer... Says "will be"

Ordered dec 3 no Vin just RN number for me still as of 12/31. DC says they just waiting for me to be matched.

Sadly facing the reality that I won't get my car this year. :(

Stock SR+ white.

that's 2 of us man, i was feeling confident that they will deliver since it's essentially a guarantee. But i have no delivery date so i gave up.

But will this stop me from buying another tesla if i really like the M3? heck no
Tesla was over confident in trying to deliver all these cars by EOY specially if they weren't sitting in a lot ready to be transported.
Tax credit was great since it meant paying less to the gov't later, but many of us won't qualify now.

If you find a great price on another 'similar' car is great, but there is no other car you can buy in January or February for this price and range. hopefully in January they can fulfill all the open orders they missed.

Reactions: jasonanthony
My guess is what some people would call sinister but I just call pragmatic.

I think Tesla deliberately decided to shift production mix toward more profitable trims (LR / performance) based on demand and their for-better-or-worse need to demonstrate quarterly growth, profit margin, and sustainability.

I don’t have any proof but I’d bet the great majority of folks getting bumped to next year are SR+ orders, for the simple reason that there were more than enough LR and Performance orders to fill out the rest of the calendar, and they gave those cars priority.

definitely more profit margin for company, end of the day is about how much $$ they can make of 1 customer

At no point did ikstaack say it makes or breaks the purchase. But merely that $1,800 is nothing to "scoff at". And I completely agree with him.

1800 cash is huge, 1800 tax credit is a promise that may not be fulfilled unless you owe tax money

agree with @ucmndd though, if you are spending 45k on a brand new car, you should budget for the hiked costs that comes with it.
like buying a performance gasoline engine that gives you 10MPG and complaining about gas prices :)

Yes, of course everyone wants the $1875. But to complain that Tesla sucks because you didn't get your car in time when you ordered in the last few months before it expired when everyone else did the same thing is a bit much. I could understand if Tesla was half-ass about actually trying to deliver a bunch of cars before the end of year but they weren't - they expanded delivery hours, worked their employees over Christmas Eve, Christmas and New Year's Eve, shifted non-delivery employees to the delivery centers and even set up some deliveries at the factory. So, yeah, "EOY fiasco" not found.

Yes, of course everyone wants the $1875. But to complain that Tesla sucks because you didn't get your car in time when you ordered in the last few months before it expired when everyone else did the same thing is a bit much. I could understand if Tesla was half-ass about actually trying to deliver a bunch of cars before the end of year but they weren't - they expanded delivery hours, worked their employees over Christmas Eve, Christmas and New Year's Eve, shifted non-delivery employees to the delivery centers and even set up some deliveries at the factory. So, yeah, "EOY fiasco" not found.

A few weeks ago, the Tesla homepage gave some kind of indication to me that 'orders placed now will be delivered by 12/31'. They wouldn't be explicit about that date unless they were aware of the implications of the tax credit.

I've got no dog in this fight, as I did get a car delivered before EOY. But I would be frustrated if I was told one thing and they didn't deliver and I was out $1875.

I think many people aren't accounting for how hard Tesla SA’s pushed in November for people to place orders to get delivery before EoY. Not all SA’s for sure, but I was very very strongly encouraged to place my order mid November for the tax credit. I don’t care that I’ll lose it, and I’ll happily wait till January to get my SR+ which is safe financial option for me. It’s just a bummer that up until a day before my delivery I was led to believe I’d get the car only to be snatched away. A new car is exciting, at Christmas time even more so. It’s the disappointment that stings for a lot of us which is normal. Tesla sucks for how it has communicated throughout this process and I’m sure in due time they will get better at it. But for now it’s a fair criticism imo. If they don’t get the criticism that is justified how can they evolve to be better?

Cars are being built up to the evening of New Year's Eve.

Won't somebody think of the workers!?!

You mean the ones who have stock options and saw the price go over $420? Elon rightfully reminded everyone working let’s not forget what brought them to that level—everyone’s hard work. (And of course how great the car is:D).

I’ve spoken with a few employees who have volunteered during these crazy last days and all said they loved doing it. The ones that get to interface with the buyers said they love seeing how excited they are to get the cars.

I seem to remember that they get a break after this craziness.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I think many people aren't accounting for how hard Tesla SA’s pushed in November for people to place orders to get delivery before EoY. Not all SA’s for sure, but I was very very strongly encouraged to place my order mid November for the tax credit. I don’t care that I’ll lose it, and I’ll happily wait till January to get my SR+ which is safe financial option for me. It’s just a bummer that up until a day before my delivery I was led to believe I’d get the car only to be snatched away. A new car is exciting, at Christmas time even more so. It’s the disappointment that stings for a lot of us which is normal. Tesla sucks for how it has communicated throughout this process and I’m sure in due time they will get better at it. But for now it’s a fair criticism imo. If they don’t get the criticism that is justified how can they evolve to be better?
It's a legitimate criticism but is it really a "fiasco"? It seems like a lot of these issues are from poor sales advisers who making promises they pulling out of thin air just to placate the customer and move on to the next one. If Tesla can solve the problem of car salespeople giving out bad information, they'd be the first ever to do so.

I agree it shouldn't be a fiasco so to speak. However, most are just upset they were given a tentative delivery date only for that appointment to be canceled. Now they are being told by their SA that they can't confirm an estimated date on when their car will be delivered. Could be a week, a month, or two months from now which is unacceptable.

Reactions: jasonanthony
I agree it shouldn't be a fiasco so to speak. However, most are just upset they were given a tentative delivery date only for that appointment to be canceled. Now they are being told by their SA that they can't confirm an estimated date on when their car will be delivered. Could be a week, a month, or two months from now which is unacceptable.

Yes, a number keep getting scheduling days and times only to get some conflicting email, text or phone call changing that. If they could stick to one date and time and people could plan around that I don't think this would be such a problem for people. The uncertainty of it all and adjusting of people's schedules is what I think has those people most upset. My guess is SAs at a location don't have any certainty when the carrier with their car will make it down to the DC and be reedy for unloading and prep and then document processing with the customer. And trying to manage tens if not over a hundred of deliveries a day complicates things if people don't have the time to answer phone calls and have to go from one transaction to the next. I really hope this is the last quarter that there is so much uncertainty but given how Wall Street comes down on the company on sales I'm not sure.

I know there is this new process at Tesla that was discussed in Business Insider called One Motion (each customer will have a single point of contact from buying to paperwork and delivery) that is suppose to be implimented which hopefully will help on some level. Don't think it could come fast enough particularly for EoQ deliveries. Not having a person people can reach causes a lot of frustration for people so One Motion could help. Contacts that aren't responsive could be switched out until they have a great team in place. No idea where they are in training for all of what would be necessary for them to do their job.

However, most are just upset they were given a tentative delivery date only for that appointment to be canceled.

More bummed that they didn't have the courtesy to cancel the appointment or reply to my messages.

And bemused by their antics. VIN #3 on MVPA #3. Delivery to my house; no, Fremont delivery center; no, Fremont factory; now "download the Tesla app prior to your arrival, which will be used to locate and unlock your vehicle". It's a scavenger hunt!

I think they're delivering nearby orders last to maximize EOY numbers. My white LR should be high on their list for the revenue and the most common color.

Last night's text: "Your Model 3 will finish being built tomorrow afternoon. To expedite your delivery experience, we will text you when your Model 3 is complete. Please plan to arrive at the Tesla Factory within 90 minutes of receiving that text." -- Never mind NYE plans. That text will arrive in the next 8 hours, this time for sure.

Eh, I think the folks who ordered in October and who are now getting pushed back to 2020 probably have a right to say “Tesla sucks”. Hard to believe they couldn’t manage to fill those orders within 3 months time.