Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About BMS_u008, contactors, pyrofuse and a car going like a rocket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Maarten

Nov 2, 2013
Hilversum
A while ago I got the message BMS_u008 “Acceleration and top speed reduced” on the screen.
With the hopeful comment underneath: “Performance may be restored on next drive”.
But after a few weeks nothing had changed; the message did not disappear.
Together with @Gtech I searched the forum to see if clarity could be found.
There was some writing about it, but often in combination with other error messages that my car did not show.
I also asked several companies that work on battery recovery; it yielded nothing.
However, despite the error message, the car was usable.
Charging (both AC and DC) also went well, but as the error message stated: it was just slow by Tesla standards.

Once when I was on my way near SeC Duiven in The Netherlands, I went in there and asked if they could indicate what was going on.
After vetting the car, I learned that the contactors (relays) and pyrofuse in the battery pack were not functioning properly.

I made an appointment with SeC Utrecht, with the result that the contactors and the pyrofuse in the pack were replaced.
At the same time the umbrellas and O-rings were replaced that, among other places, ensure the sealing of the pack.
It turns out that battery packs often eventually fail due to insufficient sealing and water ingress.
Cost of all this: a little over 2000 euros incl. VAT.
SeC Utrecht kept me neatly informed on the progress of the repair; it was a very pleasant contact.

Last week I got the car back and what my surprise: the car has become much faster.
It accelerates more vigorously than before the error message.
My wife was shocked when I pressed the pedal deep (but not even maximum).

Today I exchanged thoughts with the mechanic from the SeC about this.
The explanation seems to be that after long use, some resistance is built up in the replaced parts.
The Battery Management System takes this into account and gradually limits the current little by little.
This happens so subtly that you don't notice it.
Until you get full power again with new contactors and pyrofuse.
Unbelievable, a few km until 340,000 km on the ODO. And now my almost 10 year old P85 really blasts like a rocket again.

Reactions: DerbyDave