Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to pull the trigger on Tesla Solar panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am actually interested, and I am sure the rest on the board would be too, as to why it seems your system has some sort of connection between turning it on and calling a utility or Tesla to "activate" the system.

For the rest of us, turning the system on is a physical act at your house, neither Tesla nor the utility can do it or stop you from doing it. There was one poster in Fla who ran his system for four months from installation to PTO as a very long "test" -- he did have powerwalls though.

Turning it on is not the same as getting either the Tesla app or getting a two-way meter from the utility, but in my case for example the system ran fine in testing with the "old" utility meter that wasn't even friggen digital.

There are three problems with my install so far.

1) My gateway wasn't registered with Tesla, so it wouldnt show up in my app and wouldnt show up at Tesla.
2) Tesla has essentially ghosted me and I cant get a rep to answer the phone or return an email or call.
3) My system is broken, it's not producing anything at all.

Tesla is completely underwater and their solar division is so overwhelmed they are unable provide anything resembling customer service. I'm 6 months into my project and haven't had any feedback from any "rep" for over 3 months. Finally I had to take matters into my own hands and follow up with the utility and physically get a copy of the PTO, then find someone at Tesla willing to help me.

I was only able to get the "Activation Hotline" to help me. Yes, you read that right - THE ACTIVATION HOTLINE. I spoke to the activation hotline and they had me upload the PTO to them in real time and at the same time saw no communication from my site to them. They had me give them the MAC address of my gateway and they fixed that - as soon as my gateway was communicating - they received the error that the solar system was outputting nothing.

Had I left this to Tesla and not done anything, I'm not exaggerating when I say I likely would have NEVER gotten anything going.

Ive been paying on my loan for 2 months already so Tesla clearly doesn't care once they have your money, and it's not just me that experienced this.

This has been my experience and your milage may vary. You can call Tesla and ask them why there is an activation hotline when in your words no activation is necassary. Try it yourself - Tesla Solar # 888.765.2489, press 2 for solar, then press 4 to activate your system.

we did the solar roof....here is how I look at my experience.... First service is an issue...no doubt about it....getting someone on phone for solar is almost impossible and email support is non existent.

the difference on panels if not more than 10% then go with a local installer (if doing panels) ...important thing to understand is local installers will install much sooner (at least in some geo), set up and coordinate with utility company and get you rolling. Tesla on other hand does all that but have no one local really to handle your case....ever if anyone gets back on your issues....they will be out of Nevada and will not have a clue about local municipal issues/processes...which takes longer TAT...

My roof install went seamless but has small issues where I am not making NJ GATS incentives (an issue local to NJ)

So bite the bullet accordingly...

As a quick datapoint, if my PA's address in her email signature is to be trusted, she's local to me less than 10 miles away.

Thanks for the excellent feedback, both positive and negative.

As I mentioned earlier Tesla recommendation was 8kW with 1 PW. After reading all your advice it seems most agree to get as much solar as allowable/affordable. I could easily go with 12kW and 1 PW (nominal increase in price). I just wasn’t sure the benefit of multiple PWs, but I can clearly the advantages of additional solar production vs storage.

DJVorhees, I feel for you, sounds like a miserable experience and I would be alerting others to my plight as well if I were you. Best of luck

As I mentioned earlier Tesla recommendation was 8kW with 1 PW. After reading all your advice it seems most agree to get as much solar as allowable/affordable. I could easily go with 12kW and 1 PW (nominal increase in price). I just wasn’t sure the benefit of multiple PWs, but I can clearly the advantages of additional solar production vs storage.

DJVorhees, I feel for you, sounds like a miserable experience and I would be alerting others to my plight as well if I were you. Best of luck
In a power outage, >5KW inverter may shut down solar with only 1 power wall and grid not available to absorb the energy

Also, sometimes I come off, I am sure, as rather pro Tesla, but just to show that I can empathize with the Vorhees experience let me share this one.

At a prior house, the job was a huge, 7 ft by 5 ft walk in shower, floor to ceiling tile. It was a multiple day job for tile guys. They bid 4 days work.

Day 1 was OK, although Tile guys were visibly nervous that they would get it done in the 4 days they bid.
Day 2 was Ok, by this point, the actual tiling had started.
Day 3. we discuss how the layout (in terms of tile pattern) was to go, and left for work. Got home after tile guys had left, tile was not laid out propertly. As tile was still wet, put a couple of hours in pulling it all off (all of Day 3s work) washing the tiles, and cleaning the backer board.
Day 4. Tile guys show up ----- WTF? I explain. Visibly shaken tile guy knows customer is always right, so even though he now at least two days behind starts again. I get home from work, about 60% is correct. I remove the other 40%, wash, off.
Day 5. Tile guys show up TRIPLE WTF. I explain, again. I point out that I would throw them a bit more $. Tile is re laid.
Day 6. Tile guy is relieved I have not ripped it all out this time. Finishes up all but a bit. I get home. About 20 are not lined up right, I rip them out and wash them
Day 7. Guy shows up, is relieved I only ripped off 20. Finishes the job.

Virtually every contractor I have ever worked with has had something, large or small, go wrong. This was a rather extreme example. But my point is, I am not big into confrontation and this tile project resulted in some tense mornings, let me tell you.

Compared to this merely not being able to get ahold of a Tesla rep is nothing to me.

Reactions: arnolddeleon
To the OP, my checklist:

1. Get the biggest system with PWs you can get. To figure out if you "can" get it go to PV watts and figure out the production you can expect per year. Then compare the cost of the max system you can fit with or without PWs. Its math, but without doing these calculations you won't know how much the system, and then adding PWs actually costs. In my case I'm saving money with PWs. I could have saved more money without them, but then I would not have them.

2. Tesla is going to be cheaper. But its a construction project. If you have experience with construction projects nothing about installing a solar system will come as a surprise. However, other than upgrades you will know about before hand (like main panel), there will not be any pricing surprises.

3. There will be an issue with the design of the system whoever you go with. Where will the panels fit? Any vents in the way? Where will the inverters go? Are there code restrictions on panel placement. IMO this is the same for Tesla and others.

4. First pothole in the road is that Tesla will not install on all types of roof. Others might. You find this out when Tesla first sends somone out for physical inspection.

5. Second pothole in the road is whether your existing electrical system is ready to accept solar or solar and PWS. Same for any installer.

6. Third pothole is whether your utility makes it easy or hard. Some utilities let people install whatever they want, some only approve certain systems. Same for any installer.

7. Fourth pothole is scheduling the install. Tesla is more backed up for solar and PWs, maybe. Another install may not be able to even get PWs. In any event my view is this is a 20 year project so when its done its done.

8. Fifth pothole is something goes wrong at install, like a broken roof tile. Tesla fixed about 50 broken tiles for me, others have said the are not getting joy on a broken something or other.

9. Sixth pothole is the time lag between when its installed and when you get official PTO from the utility. Depends on the utility and Tesla. My take is that some utitlities are so difficult that the amount of time spent by the installer actually matters, so if you have a super difficult utility might be an advantage for local installer. Emphasis on "might be."

All of the above results in questions along the way. Some say other installers answer questions faster. Maybe they do. For the $25K I saved I can wait on a lot of questions. Your mileage may vary. Some people seem extremely upset when they don't get immediate responses.
This is a pretty good list.

I had a system installed 3 months ago, permission to operate took less than a month. That included some delay from attempts to (and failing) to fix a long standing issue with my multiple PV systems and what PG&E had on record. I think it took less than 2 weeks once I signed off on the form the request the PTO. If I limit the view to the just most recent install went more or less as @Southpasfan outlined. We had to to relocate where the additional PW went because Santa Clara and City rules. My initial install date was at end of May and in March I got a call asking if I wanted to move up to literally the next day.

My sister (with a referral from me) just had had system (4kW + 1 PW) installed 4 days ago. It hasn't even been inspected yet. The system is registered at with Tesla and is showing up on their app. We've done tests to see that it operates on and off grid (and verified same on the app). Again there were minor issues with layout and location of equipment but those were overcome on the same day of the install. I've been generating a punch list for them to ask Tesla about (e.g. my conduits were painted, theirs haven't are not at the moment).

In a power outage, >5KW inverter may shut down solar with only 1 power wall and grid not available to absorb the energy
Great point by Edv, by the way, just so OP knows what this means.

In an outage, the Gateway 2 cycles PWs on and off as the fill up. And your home is backed up. For example, they charge the PWs to 100%, then shut the panels off, then turn the panels back on, when PWs hit 95%, and so on.

What Edv points out though is each powerwall can only accept 5kw continuous. An 8kw system might exceed that in the prime hours of the day. If that happens, some electricians on here have pointed out that the entire system would shut down (NOT just cycle on and off) as the Gateway would "protect" the PW from sending too much power (over 5kw) to it, until the Gateway sensed the grid was back up.

This sort of negates the whole point of having PWs. In my case its 3 PWs on a 16.32 system. I have never gotten, and wont, to over 15kw continuous. Hence 3 PWs are enough.

Reactions: CapitalistPig
we did the solar roof....here is how I look at my experience.... First service is an issue...no doubt about it....getting someone on phone for solar is almost impossible and email support is non existent.

the difference on panels if not more than 10% then go with a local installer (if doing panels) ...important thing to understand is local installers will install much sooner (at least in some geo), set up and coordinate with utility company and get you rolling. Tesla on other hand does all that but have no one local really to handle your case....ever if anyone gets back on your issues....they will be out of Nevada and will not have a clue about local municipal issues/processes...which takes longer TAT...

My roof install went seamless but has small issues where I am not making NJ GATS incentives (an issue local to NJ)

So bite the bullet accordingly...
What is the issue with GATs? DM as I filed all paperwork myself and am getting paid.

Maybe I can help.

Slow motion dumpster fire happening in my experience (Austin TX) ... started the application 4 months ago, have had 5 different project advisors, they still haven't even got the permit. Today after I've emailed them yet again to ask for an update, they've requested a new contract without any explanation.
I want to support Tesla and innovation etc, though seriously having doubts about their ability to deliver.

On face value, Tesla Solar makes sense and by all logic their system should be foolproof so long as they have the hardware and people to do installations. I don't understand how/why they're failing on this so bad without even getting to the installation step.

Slow motion dumpster fire happening in my experience (Austin TX) ... started the application 4 months ago, have had 5 different project advisors, they still haven't even got the permit. Today after I've emailed them yet again to ask for an update, they've requested a new contract without any explanation.
I want to support Tesla and innovation etc, though seriously having doubts about their ability to deliver.

On face value, Tesla Solar makes sense and by all logic their system should be foolproof so long as they have the hardware and people to do installations. I don't understand how/why they're failing on this so bad without even getting to the installation step.
It may well be that they simply don't have the staff. But when you see the plans which have to be submitted to get the permit its a bit of an eye opener.

For example, in other projects I have done, including rebuilding a kitchen and adding space including foundations, etc, the permit application, to the extent I even saw it, fit on one page.

The full on plans for a solar install are multiple pages, much closer to the plans for building an entire house. They don't routinely send them to customers, which in my mind is a bit of a PR mistake, I knew to ask for them since I went over them with my own electrician.

If they did send them, there would be a lot fewer questions about why its "taking so long."

As for the "new contract" that could be because in the permitting process they now need to upgrade parts of the electical system.

Of course, they could just be swamped and not getting it done, too.

Just finished this process. 2 PW + 4.x kw pv added to my existing ~6kw pv.

Tesla was 50% of the cost compared to 3 other vendors.
Other vendors could not promise powerwalls until late 2021, or 2022.
Tesla has by far the most reasonable agreement/contract language of any vendor I explored. Semper in particular are crack smokers. Do not sign their agreement.
Tesla Energy is a dumpster fire internally, as others have noted. I knew this going in, I documented EVERYTHING. I'm serious, keep a log with names, times, dates, and notes. Take photos of everything along the way. Trust no one. This sounds dramatic, it isn't. If all goes well you can laugh at yourself. If it doesn't go perfect (it wont) you can laugh at them with your pile of documentation.
I wound up getting my stuff installed and activated in a matter of months, but it was FAR from trouble-free, and it required some creative campaigning inside their org to get the results I needed/expected.

Presently, I am operating 100% self-powered, charging my car, doing rate arbitrage with the grid, and eagerly awaiting the next rolling blackout. I am overprovisioned on solar, but should continue to be 100% self powered even in winter.

Just finished this process. 2 PW + 4.x kw pv added to my existing ~6kw pv.

Tesla was 50% of the cost compared to 3 other vendors.
Other vendors could not promise powerwalls until late 2021, or 2022.
Tesla has by far the most reasonable agreement/contract language of any vendor I explored. Semper in particular are crack smokers. Do not sign their agreement.
Tesla Energy is a dumpster fire internally, as others have noted. I knew this going in, I documented EVERYTHING. I'm serious, keep a log with names, times, dates, and notes. Take photos of everything along the way. Trust no one. This sounds dramatic, it isn't. If all goes well you can laugh at yourself. If it doesn't go perfect (it wont) you can laugh at them with your pile of documentation.
I wound up getting my stuff installed and activated in a matter of months, but it was FAR from trouble-free, and it required some creative campaigning inside their org to get the results I needed/expected.

Presently, I am operating 100% self-powered, charging my car, doing rate arbitrage with the grid, and eagerly awaiting the next rolling blackout. I am overprovisioned on solar, but should continue to be 100% self powered even in winter.
What's wrong with Semper?

i am overall happy w/ my Tesla experience .. before install experience was mediocre to low .. install itself excellent .. post install service mediocre .
would i do it again with Tesla, Yes . but i knew what to expect and kept in mind i was saving tens of thousands (powerwalls / solar)
This roughly applies to model 3 purchase as well
If you want to dismiss my honest feedback as being a fanboy i'm fine with that if it makes you feel better 😝

One web site:
Just like I discount that "solarreviews" website as it pertains to tesla based on some other sleuthing that was done by a member here a while ago, I would also discount it for any other company as well, at least me personally. Meaning, I wouldnt pay much attention to that specific website (solarreviews) no matter who they are talking about.

Just like I discount that "solarreviews" website as it pertains to tesla based on some other sleuthing that was done by a member here a while ago, I would also discount it for any other company as well, at least me personally. Meaning, I wouldnt pay much attention to that specific website (solarreviews) no matter who they are talking about.

I read the analysis thread and it seems the author walked back his initial assessment of SolarReviews as all the regional Yelp sites also showed similar trend for Tesla solar.

My solar panel with powerwalls installation took quite a long time, 6 months total from deposit to PTO. I’ve documented it Here. There were many delays both caused by my utility Eversource and also Tesla. As others have said it is a construction project and it pays to keep track of what is going on. In the end the Tesla price for my 12.24kW system with 3 powerwalls cost about the same as other suppliers were going to charge just for the same amount of solar. In my case getting the 3 powerwalls was almost a no-brainer due to the SMART program incentives in MA which gives a higher rate of incentive for generation when you have batteries. Also there is a program where the utility pays to discharge the powerwalls to the grid. in my case the payback due to these incentives is about 4 years. In my case, the net metering is basically 1:1 and we don’t have a time of use rate plan so the powerwalls don’t gain for that, but having 3 powerwalls allow me to have full house backup. You really have to look at your utility provider’s incentives to see how they would pay. Each state, region, and utility can be quite different, I am lucky to have the MA state SMART program which replaced the SRECs. Also the 1:1 net metering with full carryover is a big win. YMMV greatly. In my case, to get the best net metering deal the system needs to be 10kW AC or less and the 12.24kW DC system came with a 10kW inverter so that worked well. Look at your state and utilities rules to help figure out your best choices. In my case Tesla did a decent job of estimating the incentives but didn’t really explain how the programs work, but the online info from the state’s and utility’s websites helped me do the math. Tesla often quotes the 10 year estimated returns as the incentive value.

on the benefit of more powerwalls, don’t underestimate the backup power value and the ability to run the solar with the grid down. With moderate sunny days and thoughtful conservation, my 3 powerwalls can keep my house running for a week or more with the grid down if I limit EV charging. For me that was a critical reason to get the powerwalls. I enjoyed not even noticing a 5 minute power failure the other day, even while running our whole house AC and an electric clothes dryer.

Not all installs are horror shows, mine was fairly routine. Delays in waiting for approval for the system from the utilit, delays in paperwork getting turned in, and finally waiting for PTO we’re very frustrating for me, but I’d still recommend Tesla solar to folks in my area. I have no regrets and my system is working great.

My solar panel with powerwalls installation took quite a long time, 6 months total from deposit to PTO. I’ve documented it Here. There were many delays both caused by my utility Eversource and also Tesla. As others have said it is a construction project and it pays to keep track of what is going on. In the end the Tesla price for my 12.24kW system with 3 powerwalls cost about the same as other suppliers were going to charge just for the same amount of solar. In my case getting the 3 powerwalls was almost a no-brainer due to the SMART program incentives in MA which gives a higher rate of incentive for generation when you have batteries. Also there is a program where the utility pays to discharge the powerwalls to the grid. in my case the payback due to these incentives is about 4 years. In my case, the net metering is basically 1:1 and we don’t have a time of use rate plan so the powerwalls don’t gain for that, but having 3 powerwalls allow me to have full house backup. You really have to look at your utility provider’s incentives to see how they would pay. Each state, region, and utility can be quite different, I am lucky to have the MA state SMART program which replaced the SRECs. Also the 1:1 net metering with full carryover is a big win. YMMV greatly. In my case, to get the best net metering deal the system needs to be 10kW AC or less and the 12.24kW DC system came with a 10kW inverter so that worked well. Look at your state and utilities rules to help figure out your best choices. In my case Tesla did a decent job of estimating the incentives but didn’t really explain how the programs work, but the online info from the state’s and utility’s websites helped me do the math. Tesla often quotes the 10 year estimated returns as the incentive value.

on the benefit of more powerwalls, don’t underestimate the backup power value and the ability to run the solar with the grid down. With moderate sunny days and thoughtful conservation, my 3 powerwalls can keep my house running for a week or more with the grid down if I limit EV charging. For me that was a critical reason to get the powerwalls. I enjoyed not even noticing a 5 minute power failure the other day, even while running our whole house AC and an electric clothes dryer.

Not all installs are horror shows, mine was fairly routine. Delays in waiting for approval for the system from the utilit, delays in paperwork getting turned in, and finally waiting for PTO we’re very frustrating for me, but I’d still recommend Tesla solar to folks in my area. I have no regrets and my system is working great.
Appreciate the feedback regarding your experience with Tesla. I live in nearby RI and I will check with our utility provider, I bet they have similar incentives as MA.