Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to pull the trigger on Tesla Solar panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've shopped around and Tesla is by far the cheapest quote I have gotten. However I am concerned about all the horror stories regarding customer service/communication.

Those that have had Tesla solar panels installed, would you do it again or would you have gone somewhere else? Also if you had to choose between getting a high capacity system (8kw vs 12kw) or additional Powerwalls, what would you recommend? They suggested a 8kW system with 2 Powerwalls, however I am not convinced that is enough ( I just got a Model S and this is my first month of home charging, plus pool filter and ACs). Thank you for reading/replying

Tesla solar is a tremndous dumpster fire of epic proportions. if the money is worth the potential frustration go for it but Tesla is essentially ghosting customers and there is zero feedback, customer service and heaven forbid if you have an issue, you are on your own. Im 6 months into my solar install, Im paying for my loan and my system isnt activated and I think it's not working anyway. Check my posting history for my story.

There are people with 100k in solar roofs in the same position for a lot longer, they are having to sue Tesla now.

we did the solar roof....here is how I look at my experience.... First service is an issue...no doubt about it....getting someone on phone for solar is almost impossible and email support is non existent.

the difference on panels if not more than 10% then go with a local installer (if doing panels) ...important thing to understand is local installers will install much sooner (at least in some geo), set up and coordinate with utility company and get you rolling. Tesla on other hand does all that but have no one local really to handle your case....ever if anyone gets back on your issues....they will be out of Nevada and will not have a clue about local municipal issues/processes...which takes longer TAT...

My roof install went seamless but has small issues where I am not making NJ GATS incentives (an issue local to NJ)

So bite the bullet accordingly...

Reactions: CapitalistPig
I've shopped around and Tesla is by far the cheapest quote I have gotten. However I am concerned about all the horror stories regarding customer service/communication.

Those that have had Tesla solar panels installed, would you do it again or would you have gone somewhere else? Also if you had to choose between getting a high capacity system (8kw vs 12kw) or additional Powerwalls, what would you recommend? They suggested a 8kW system with 2 Powerwalls, however I am not convinced that is enough ( I just got a Model S and this is my first month of home charging, plus pool filter and ACs). Thank you for reading/replying
Mine was cheaper as well and while they have issues with customer service it’s not all bad everywhere throughout the process. Some have had little to no problems with the process. Yes, I would do it again and recommend to friends and family, especially with what I know now. I must say however the PA’s are really bad on the solar panel side.

Also I maxed out what I could put on my home regardless of what Tesla recommended. My energy usage is going to increase in the coming yrs not decrease. I didn’t want to be short on production and need to add panels down the road. Just me.

Reactions: CapitalistPig
I would still go with Tesla, assuming the difference in price is big enough. My mistake was not getting more quotes, so not really sure how much I actually saved. I went by what others in the area were quoted, and what I found online. If those numbers hold true (30% cheaper), then I would still go Tesla. Just be aware it could take longer then they state on the website. My original timeline was a total of about 10 weeks including PTO. I am at about 14 weeks and still waiting for PTO.

I would go the biggest system you can afford, and get approved by your local utility. Be aware, you can go custom sizes, so if 12kw is too big, you can do 10kw etc. I went 9.5kw because I was worried 12kw would not be approved, 8kw was just barely going to cover my existing usage. This is my second system, and my regret on the first was that I did not go big enough. Its harder to simply add panels later, most installers want to add an entire new system.

While there are some terrible stories, there are also a lot of successful projects, and, not surprisingly, you do see as many users registering just to report those. In general, it seems like the majority will find Tesla much cheaper but will have much less ability to get support, advice, and project management on demand than with others. Unfortunately, it is hard to predict how it will shake out for a given customer.

As to the question of adding panels vs. PWs, if you have a fixed amount to spend and your main goal is being cost-effective, adding more panels usually is the right choice, assuming you have space on your roof. But, this does depend on the specifics of your situation. Are there time of use rates, and what is the rate difference? What are the net metering rules where you are, particularly if you overproduce? Are there any cutoffs (like at 10 kW) where the NEM rules change? Being in RI, are you eligible for and interested in the New England grid stabilization program that might help pay for PWs? What are your reasons for having PWs at all - do you have frequent outages, need to power specific loads (including A/C units, which might require multiple PWs?)

Reactions: charlesj
Update for those interested - I again called the activation line w/ my PTO that had PSEG forward to me. I just got off the phone with them

Turns out my install team didn't register my gateway we registered my gateway, activated my system and I immediately got this email alert

Your System Requires Service​
Our monitoring team has detected an issue with your system that requires service. Schedule service in your Tesla mobile app.
Steps to Schedule:
  1. Open the app and view the home page for your energy system
  2. Scroll down to the bottom and click "Service"
  3. On the "Select Service" page, select your system's issue under the "Alert(s)" category
  4. Click "Next," and proceed.
Questions?
Email [email protected]

Soonest a tech can come to me is 6/22. There is NO WAY the install crew confirmed the systems operation or checked anything.

Had I not taken the initiative and done Teslas work for them I am comfotable saying I would have never gooten activated anytime soon or proven they didnt install the system correctly.

Tesla is a complete and total disaster, I'm so sorry I chose them.

Tesla solar is a tremndous dumpster fire of epic proportions. if the money is worth the potential frustration go for it but Tesla is essentially ghosting customers and there is zero feedback, customer service and heaven forbid if you have an issue, you are on your own. Im 6 months into my solar install, Im paying for my loan and my system isnt activated and I think it's not working anyway. Check my posting history for my story.

There are people with 100k in solar roofs in the same position for a lot longer, they are having to sue Tesla now.

You keep saying this as if it is true for everyone, and its not. I am not going to dispute your specific interactions, but they do not mirror everyones. The solar roof situation is not "people with 100k in solar roofs in the same position", its people who planned on getting solar roofs unable to buy them for the price they signed the contract for.

I totally get people being upset when they are posting, or relating their specific interactions, but making statements as if they mirror everyones experiences is false.

Reactions: nwdiver and MCNE
You keep saying this as if it is true for everyone, and its not. I am not going to dispute your specific interactions, but they do not mirror everyones. The solar roof situation is not "people with 100k in solar roofs in the same position", its people who planned on getting solar roofs unable to buy them for the price they signed the contract for.

I totally get people being upset when they are posting, or relating their specific interactions, but making statements as if they mirror everyones experiences is false.

LOL, do a little research and reading, Tesla solar is a disaster. If you had a good experience, great, but I cant believe the way this place operates.
The OP asked a question, and I replied.

LOL, do a little research and reading, Tesla solar is a disaster. If you had a good experience, great, but I cant believe the way this place operates.
The OP asked a question, and I replied.

Be careful ... before Fanbois accuse you of being a short seller :)

• Funny
Based on verifiable experience - total of 6 installs in NorCal (all close friends or colleagues) who got just Tesla solar, solar+Powerwalls or Powerwalls w/o solar....
No dumpster fires. Zero. Several delays due to utility issues (either scheduling or lack thereof) - this appears to have been a common theme across 3 of the installs. Zero equipment failures (oldest install is 3 years). Problems with initial install (missing or defective parts requiring replacement) for 3 of the installs - all fully resolved in a timely basis.
On the other hand - I have SunPower solar with my Powerwalls - SunPower has been a dumpster fire for me.
You only hear the horror stories, people are simply not inclined to post good news.
YMMV...

We've been pleased with our two Tesla solar systems. If you have limited budget now, I'd put in as much solar as possible now and add additional Powerwalls at a later date. Our original system was 16.5 kW and 3 Powerwalls. We later added another 4 kW and a 4th Powerwall. We wanted to put in as much solar as possible initially but our utility company places limits on the amount that can be installed so we had to wait a year before expanding it.

Our neighbor put in a much smaller solar system from Sunrun with only 1 Powerwall and spent more than twice what it would've cost if he'd gone with a Tesla system.

Update for those interested - I again called the activation line w/ my PTO that had PSEG forward to me. I just got off the phone with them

Turns out my install team didn't register my gateway we registered my gateway, activated my system and I immediately got this email alert

Your System Requires Service​
Our monitoring team has detected an issue with your system that requires service. Schedule service in your Tesla mobile app.
Steps to Schedule:​
  1. Open the app and view the home page for your energy system
  2. Scroll down to the bottom and click "Service"
  3. On the "Select Service" page, select your system's issue under the "Alert(s)" category
  4. Click "Next," and proceed.
Questions?
Email [email protected]

Soonest a tech can come to me is 6/22. There is NO WAY the install crew confirmed the systems operation or checked anything.

Had I not taken the initiative and done Teslas work for them I am comfotable saying I would have never gooten activated anytime soon or proven they didnt install the system correctly.

Tesla is a complete and total disaster, I'm so sorry I chose them.
I am actually interested, and I am sure the rest on the board would be too, as to why it seems your system has some sort of connection between turning it on and calling a utility or Tesla to "activate" the system.

For the rest of us, turning the system on is a physical act at your house, neither Tesla nor the utility can do it or stop you from doing it. There was one poster in Fla who ran his system for four months from installation to PTO as a very long "test" -- he did have powerwalls though.

Turning it on is not the same as getting either the Tesla app or getting a two-way meter from the utility, but in my case for example the system ran fine in testing with the "old" utility meter that wasn't even friggen digital.

Be careful ... before Fanbois accuse you of being a short seller :)

People who throw the word "fanboi" at anyone who has anything to say that disagrees with their narrative are, frankly, just as annoying. Any obvious "fanboi" type posts are handled just like any obvious posts that are there for unexplained reasons.

I dont automatically move negative feedback, nor do I automatically move positive feedback. What usually happens, though, is some people who have had negative experiences shout to the heavens about it, and try to intimate that "thats the way it all is" when thats not necessarily correct, any more than its correct that all experiences are positive.

Its fine to share your negative experiences, and make suggestions, its another thing entirely to say that everyone has that same experience (because they dont).

Super happy with ours. We are like the vast majority of people and had a relatively smooth process. I have 4 people referred now and it's going fine for them, even though 2 have made major design changes. You just have to remember this is a construction project, you aren't buying a car. Delays, missing items and things breaking are not uncommon in construction. What you do have is a tendency for when there is a problem people vocalize it. When there is no problem people are generally quiet. The few dozen who are vocal don't speak for the thousands who are happy...

OP, back to your other question, of 8k with 2 powerwalls or 12k without powerwalls. If it were me, I would (if I could) get 12k without powerwalls instead of 8k with powerwalls.

You will be able to add powerwalls later (even if its not through tesla) but adding solar later is much more difficult and expensive. I love the powerwall product myself, but if those were my options, I would get 12k solar only instead of 8k with powerwalls.

The powerwalls will not help with charging the car, while more solar does.

To the OP, my checklist:

1. Get the biggest system with PWs you can get. To figure out if you "can" get it go to PV watts and figure out the production you can expect per year. Then compare the cost of the max system you can fit with or without PWs. Its math, but without doing these calculations you won't know how much the system, and then adding PWs actually costs. In my case I'm saving money with PWs. I could have saved more money without them, but then I would not have them.

2. Tesla is going to be cheaper. But its a construction project. If you have experience with construction projects nothing about installing a solar system will come as a surprise. However, other than upgrades you will know about before hand (like main panel), there will not be any pricing surprises.

3. There will be an issue with the design of the system whoever you go with. Where will the panels fit? Any vents in the way? Where will the inverters go? Are there code restrictions on panel placement. IMO this is the same for Tesla and others.

4. First pothole in the road is that Tesla will not install on all types of roof. Others might. You find this out when Tesla first sends somone out for physical inspection.

5. Second pothole in the road is whether your existing electrical system is ready to accept solar or solar and PWS. Same for any installer.

6. Third pothole is whether your utility makes it easy or hard. Some utilities let people install whatever they want, some only approve certain systems. Same for any installer.

7. Fourth pothole is scheduling the install. Tesla is more backed up for solar and PWs, maybe. Another install may not be able to even get PWs. In any event my view is this is a 20 year project so when its done its done.

8. Fifth pothole is something goes wrong at install, like a broken roof tile. Tesla fixed about 50 broken tiles for me, others have said the are not getting joy on a broken something or other.

9. Sixth pothole is the time lag between when its installed and when you get official PTO from the utility. Depends on the utility and Tesla. My take is that some utitlities are so difficult that the amount of time spent by the installer actually matters, so if you have a super difficult utility might be an advantage for local installer. Emphasis on "might be."

All of the above results in questions along the way. Some say other installers answer questions faster. Maybe they do. For the $25K I saved I can wait on a lot of questions. Your mileage may vary. Some people seem extremely upset when they don't get immediate responses.