Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to pull trigger -- should I wait??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very close to pulling the trigger and ordering MS. Right now I can still cash in on PA state rebate, but that will likely expire or go down in value at the end of the calendar year.

Sneak peek design studio shots of Model X options have shown new items, such as ventilated/cooled seats and what looks to be a factory installed center console, both options I'd love to have in a Model S.

What are the odds that Tesla will start offering these new options later this year on the Model S? Does Tesla typically make model year changes that might get implemented in the next few months (eg, 2015 MS vs 2016 MS)?

Should I buy now and lock in the state rebate or hold out for pending changes to the Model S?

A month or so ago I would've said wait for the X since it may introduce things that make it to S. I still think that's true, but it's seeming more and more like the X just isn't ready -- which likely means anything new there won't be making it to the S soon. I'd wait until more X info is available (possibly at the end of this month) and then make a decision in early October. That should still leave plenty of time.

If I were you (I pulled the trigger a few weeks ago, am waiting for delivery), I wouldn't wait if I wanted a Model S. It seems to have all the essential options (like radar and AWD) you want. All the other things are fluff, in my opinion.

If you're on the fence about a Model X, that's a different story. I, too, like the Model X but decided I wanted max range of an EV and that I don't need a 7-person people hauler anymore (I sold a Toyota Sequoia just last week to make room for the Tesla).

So: don't wait for options, wait to decide what kind of vehicle you want.

The model S is CONSTANTLY being upgraded. So if you're waiting for the perfect car, you'll never get a Model S. If there is a specific feature you're waiting for, then that's a different story. Some people are waiting for cooled seats. Some other people are waiting for new autopilot hardware (rear radar, 360 degree camera, etc.), some people are waiting for something else. No one knows when all of this will be out.

Very close to pulling the trigger and ordering MS. Right now I can still cash in on PA state rebate, but that will likely expire or go down in value at the end of the calendar year.

Sneak peek design studio shots of Model X options have shown new items, such as ventilated/cooled seats and what looks to be a factory installed center console, both options I'd love to have in a Model S.

What are the odds that Tesla will start offering these new options later this year on the Model S? Does Tesla typically make model year changes that might get implemented in the next few months (eg, 2015 MS vs 2016 MS)?

Should I buy now and lock in the state rebate or hold out for pending changes to the Model S?

1) Tesla has no concept of model year. Changes come when they come.
2) I would not wait over factory installed center console - you can easily get OEM one installed at service center, or a number of after-market. You also may want to live with the open space for a while, you may learn to like it over a console. I do.
3) Ventilated/cooled seats would only be retrofit-able at great cost.

IF these are the two major options you might wait for, seems as if it boils down to S without ventilated seats but with rebate, vs. S eventually with ventilated seats, but who knows when and no rebate.

I also don't know details of PA rebate (how much) but I'd guess it is based upon delivery date, so even with an S, you'd better make sure you order with enough lead time (and some cushion) so you don't miss out!

If you want AutoPilot, you should wait. Some of us has prepaid for the AP and has been waiting for 9+ months. Had I known that several months means this long, I would have waited until it can be demonstrated in my test drive. If AP is not needed, then go and configure now. The sales staff will be happy to serve you since it is close to the quarter ending. Ask for the terms of ranger service if it is relevant to your location. Ask about what is covered in the annual service package if you are so incline to prepay for that. If in doubt of scope and cost, get things clarified to you in writing from a sales manager.

MS is a wonderful and environmental friendly car, but short on bells and whistles if you compare to the high end ICE of similar price range. Road handling does not compare to the Porsche I had before, which is not surprising.

Good luck.

If there are going to be any big changes to the Model S this year, they will likely be announced/revealed shortly after the Model X reveal.

I'm waiting until October to order my new one. The referral codes are good until the end of October. Waiting 2 weeks to possibly get some nice improvements seems worth it to me.

If you want AutoPilot, you should wait. Some of us has prepaid for the AP and has been waiting for 9+ months. Had I known that several months means this long, I would have waited until it can be demonstrated in my test drive. If AP is not needed, then go and configure now. The sales staff will be happy to serve you since it is close to the quarter ending. Ask for the terms of ranger service if it is relevant to your location. Ask about what is covered in the annual service package if you are so incline to prepay for that. If in doubt of scope and cost, get things clarified to you in writing from a sales manager.

MS is a wonderful and environmental friendly car, but short on bells and whistles if you compare to the high end ICE of similar price range. Road handling does not compare to the Porsche I had before, which is not surprising.

Good luck.

Let me clarify this post. All of the cars shipping now have the hardware to enable initial auto pilot features, specifically on-ramp to off-ramp hands free highway driving via lane-keeping, lane switching, and TACC. The software that enables lane-keeping and lane switching has not yet been released. Some people (who have cars with the hardware) have been waiting 9+ months for the software release that will enable these functions. This is not necessarily a reason to wait to order the car. The car HAS the hardware, and when the software is available, you will have these functions. There has been some speculation that the X will have further auto pilot hardware (e.g., 360 cameras) that will enable further AP functions, and also speculation that will eventually be added to the S. But that's all speculation.

I didn't know that the referral codes were definitely good through October. That's good to know. Thanks for the info!

According to the email from Elon, they are good until October 31st.

I don't want to won't wait that long, waiting a few more weeks until the Model X is revealed does not seem too bad at this point.

I'm fairly certain the X will have a 360 view camera system, and that is something I've really wanted on the Model S. Missing that because I ordered 2 weeks before the X is shown publicly would probably bug me.

If they don't announce any new S feature, I'll go ahead and order and be happy with what I get.

I might even go with an inventory car or CPO if nothing new is added this year to the Model S.

For reference, last October they announced these changes to the Model S:

• Dual Motor AWD
  • Autopilot Sensors (which enabled TACC, blind spot warning, emergency braking, and future auto pilot features)
  • Seat comfort improvements and taller headrests for whiplash protection
  • Improvements for a quieter cabin
  • Wider rear door opening
  • Electrically opening, self-closing charge port door on Dual Motor Model S (delivered with Dual Motor Model S)
  • Increased visor size and larger vanity mirror
  • Parcel shelf and front trunk cargo net now standard
  • Air ionizer and carbon filter for cabin air purity
  • Updated steering column control module
  • Updates to Alcantara interior trim, such as wrapped roof bow and top pad

Last edited:
Let me clarify this post. All of the cars shipping now have the hardware to enable initial auto pilot features, specifically on-ramp to off-ramp hands free highway driving via lane-keeping, lane switching, and TACC. The software that enables lane-keeping and lane switching has not yet been released. Some people (who have cars with the hardware) have been waiting 9+ months for the software release that will enable these functions. This is not necessarily a reason to wait to order the car. The car HAS the hardware, and when the software is available, you will have these functions. There has been some speculation that the X will have further auto pilot hardware (e.g., 360 cameras) that will enable further AP functions, and also speculation that will eventually be added to the S. But that's all speculation.

Let me clarify this post. Your car will NOT do on-ramp to off-ramp hands free highway driving 100% of the time, maybe 95%-99% of the time.

You need to keep your eyes on the road and fully alert. The car will also NOT switch lanes for you automagically. You need to initiate it by clicking the turn signal AND making sure there are no cars in the lane going twice the speed limit, because if you get rear ended, guess who's fault it is? In addition, if you're at a fork in the road, what would AP do? Don't expect it to go down the correct path to follow your nav.

Let me clarify this post. Your car will NOT do on-ramp to off-ramp hands free highway driving 100% of the time, maybe 95%-99% of the time.

You need to keep your eyes on the road and fully alert. The car will also NOT switch lanes for you automagically. You need to initiate it by clicking the turn signal AND making sure there are no cars in the lane going twice the speed limit, because if you get rear ended, guess who's fault it is? In addition, if you're at a fork in the road, what would AP do? Don't expect it to go down the correct path to follow your nav.

{chuckle} agree with the caveats, which is why I have no plans to buy AP in a hurry. but some people indeed find it super-important.

I would wait until the hardware and software you want is actually in production and getting delivered to customers. If you order before then, I would tell you to assume that the "promised" features will likely never happen on a timeline that you will find acceptable.

Well, I placed my order for a 70D last month but won't be taking delivery until early December... so my Model S most likely won't even go into production until some time in November. My attitude is that I've got the options I want all selected and if more base features/improvements to the Model S are announced before November, then odds are that they'll be included in my car.

I am in the EXACT same situation. I'm going to wait until the X starts shipping in a few weeks and go from there. The only feature I'm holding out for at this point is the A\C seats, I do not want to give those up if I don't have to (have them on my current car).

Jeff

My attitude is that I've got the options I want all selected and if more base features/improvements to the Model S are announced before November, then odds are that they'll be included in my car.

I doubt it, just because new options will have cost associated with them, and Tesla is not going to include that for free. I would assume you will get what you paid for and nothing else. If you're serious and expect any new gee-whiz feature they come up with before they build your car to be included, get it in writing from Tesla. At least ask them straight out if that's the case. No sense in being disappointed.

To the original question of this thread, I vote wait, at a minimum until the X comes out. Drive the X. Look over its options. You'll know a lot more than you do now and can make a much better decision. I bought in May, not knowing the 90 battery was coming. There's always something new cooking - wait as long as you can stand it, then buy!

I am in the EXACT same situation. I'm going to wait until the X starts shipping in a few weeks and go from there. The only feature I'm holding out for at this point is the A\C seats, I do not want to give those up if I don't have to (have them on my current car).

Jeff

Same situation here. I have a reservation on the X and I think I am going to dump it for an S as soon as they make the ventilated seats available on the S.
Part of me thinks that won't happen until the referral promo codes expire for some reason.

I doubt it, just because new options will have cost associated with them, and Tesla is not going to include that for free. I would assume you will get what you paid for and nothing else. If you're serious and expect any new gee-whiz feature they come up with before they build your car to be included, get it in writing from Tesla. At least ask them straight out if that's the case. No sense in being disappointed.

To the original question of this thread, I vote wait, at a minimum until the X comes out. Drive the X. Look over its options. You'll know a lot more than you do now and can make a much better decision. I bought in May, not knowing the 90 battery was coming. There's always something new cooking - wait as long as you can stand it, then buy!

Depends on options. LTE was free. Windshield that allows EZpass transmission was free. If they roll out with 360 degree camera as standard, he'd get it for free. If it's an add on feature like 21" wheels, then he wont get it.