TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

AC Seats? Only under? Or back too ?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Ramisanders, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Ramisanders

Ramisanders Member

I was wondering the AC seats. Do they ventilate the back as well ?

2. qadaemon

qadaemon Member

They ventilate the back as well. Note they are only a fan that pulls air from the surface down. Not actively cooling seats like some vehicles.

• Informative x 1
  3. wanaxnow

wanaxnow Member

The seats are definitely not cooled seats but ventilated only.

4. gmtom1

gmtom1 Member

The rear seats are not ventilated. Only the driver and front passenger seats.

5. Blastphemy

Blastphemy Member

Both the seat and seatback pull air through the perforations, but the cooling effect is minimal to nothing. I don't feel a thing on mine, but Tesla assures me the ventilated seats are "working as designed." Too bad it wasn't a better design.

Really frustrating that Tesla feels the need to reinvent things that already work just fine in other cars, only to arrive at a less satisfying solution many times. (Just look at Tesla's crappy phone/music interface and functionality, or its disastrous 2nd row Model X seats which don't fold and can't be controlled reliably.)

6. qadaemon

qadaemon Member

I should have clarified, I was talking about the seat back. Some of us had a problem with only the seat bottom working so it's stuck in my head. It is indeed only the front seats that are ventilated.

7. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

I have this probably unrealistic dream that they'll fix that stuff in Model S & X version 2. (I define Version 2 as the new designs that they intentionally do to upgrade the older lines after Model 3 is out.)

• Like x 2
  8. dapao

dapao Member

I can tell both. I used infra camera to conform this.

9. travwill

travwill Member

I'll add, yes only front seats are ventilated. I used them quite a bit on a road trip this last week. They do work, need the cabin somewhat cool since they just pull air, but overall they eliminated the dreaded "sweaty butt" syndrome on long drives ;-)... They aren't powerful, do make a low fan noice on #3 setting, but are still effective for a long time on 2 and 1 setting it seems.

I was also expecting them to blow are out, but apparently they suck air in. A different approach for sure, but try them out. Another thing is that they do seem to remember if they were on or not, just like heated seats in front. So on hot days if you precool your cabin from the phone, and had the front seats ventilated on setting 3 already, they they should be cooler by time you get in car since will turn back on automatically.