Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC Seats? Only under? Or back too ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering the AC seats. Do they ventilate the back as well ?

Both the seat and seatback pull air through the perforations, but the cooling effect is minimal to nothing. I don't feel a thing on mine, but Tesla assures me the ventilated seats are "working as designed." Too bad it wasn't a better design.

Really frustrating that Tesla feels the need to reinvent things that already work just fine in other cars, only to arrive at a less satisfying solution many times. (Just look at Tesla's crappy phone/music interface and functionality, or its disastrous 2nd row Model X seats which don't fold and can't be controlled reliably.)

Both the seat and seatback pull air through the perforations, but the cooling effect is minimal to nothing. I don't feel a thing on mine, but Tesla assures me the ventilated seats are "working as designed." Too bad it wasn't a better design.

Really frustrating that Tesla feels the need to reinvent things that already work just fine in other cars, only to arrive at a less satisfying solution many times. (Just look at Tesla's crappy phone/music interface and functionality, or its disastrous 2nd row Model X seats which don't fold and can't be controlled reliably.)
I have this probably unrealistic dream that they'll fix that stuff in Model S & X version 2. (I define Version 2 as the new designs that they intentionally do to upgrade the older lines after Model 3 is out.)

I'll add, yes only front seats are ventilated. I used them quite a bit on a road trip this last week. They do work, need the cabin somewhat cool since they just pull air, but overall they eliminated the dreaded "sweaty butt" syndrome on long drives ;-)... They aren't powerful, do make a low fan noice on #3 setting, but are still effective for a long time on 2 and 1 setting it seems.

I was also expecting them to blow are out, but apparently they suck air in. A different approach for sure, but try them out. Another thing is that they do seem to remember if they were on or not, just like heated seats in front. So on hot days if you precool your cabin from the phone, and had the front seats ventilated on setting 3 already, they they should be cooler by time you get in car since will turn back on automatically.