Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ACC responds to overhead freeway sign as it would a vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ACC of my dear Wife's '14 treasured Model S confuses an overhead freeway sign for a vehicle ahead. As a result the car applies the brakes vigorously for 2 or 3 seconds. A close-following car would probably collide. This happens about ten percent of the time and, apparently, at just one particular sign. Have any of you experienced this? Any remedy (besides behaviour modification)??

• Informative
Reactions: Pentium2004
The ACC of my dear Wife's '14 treasured Model S confuses an overhead freeway sign for a vehicle ahead. As a result the car applies the brakes vigorously for 2 or 3 seconds and a following car would probably collide. This happens about ten percent of the time and, apparently, at just one sign. Have any of you experienced this? Any remedy (besides behaviour modification)??

I would hit the voice button and do a bug report at the sign. That takes a snapshot of the car logs right then. Then when you get home, you can call and report it to service and they can find the exact spot in the logs using your bug report.

I would hit the voice button and do a bug report at the sign. That takes a snapshot of the car logs right then. Then when you get home, you can call and report it to service and they can find the exact spot in the logs using your bug report.

Yeah, I would definitely recommend reporting this, especially if it's reproducible at a particular sign. The ADAS map tiles are supposed to have a whitelist of road segments where braking is disabled or certain objects are considered harmless. Sounds like that is not correctly set up for that road segment.

You are not entirely alone. Headed from Sunnyvale to Milpatas, CA on the 237 to 880 HOV lane flyway there is a sign on the left where Nicki always drops 5 MPH. No brakes, but does hit regen pretty hard. So far never a problem and I keep forgetting to send it in ><