TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

ACC responds to overhead freeway sign as it would a vehicle

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by EriCal, May 11, 2018.

1. EriCal

EriCal Member

The ACC of my dear Wife's '14 treasured Model S confuses an overhead freeway sign for a vehicle ahead. As a result the car applies the brakes vigorously for 2 or 3 seconds. A close-following car would probably collide. This happens about ten percent of the time and, apparently, at just one particular sign. Have any of you experienced this? Any remedy (besides behaviour modification)??

• Informative x 1
  2. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I would hit the voice button and do a bug report at the sign. That takes a snapshot of the car logs right then. Then when you get home, you can call and report it to service and they can find the exact spot in the logs using your bug report.

3. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Yeah, I would definitely recommend reporting this, especially if it's reproducible at a particular sign. The ADAS map tiles are supposed to have a whitelist of road segments where braking is disabled or certain objects are considered harmless. Sounds like that is not correctly set up for that road segment.

4. Pentium2004

Pentium2004 Vendor

I think my car see's dead people. It hits the brakes all the time when absolutely nothing is around.

5. The Duke

The Duke Member

You are not entirely alone. Headed from Sunnyvale to Milpatas, CA on the 237 to 880 HOV lane flyway there is a sign on the left where Nicki always drops 5 MPH. No brakes, but does hit regen pretty hard. So far never a problem and I keep forgetting to send it in ><

6. animorph

animorph Active Member

You can search for "phantom braking" and find plenty of threads on this. It's the flip side of emergency braking or AP avoiding objects in the lane.

7. kiwi

kiwi Member

I regularly enjoy phantom braking - occasionally on dead straight roads (no signs/traffic ahead).
    Keeps everyone on their toes, especially tailgaters.

Just got .18, crossing my fingers this issue is reducing.