Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost at High Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mptboiii

Jan 26, 2024
la
I noticed my 2023 dual motor has awesome acceleration until about 70ish mph, and then dies off after. I know the acceleration boost lowers 0-60 times by a good amount, but will it also help with the 70-100+ mph times? or is it only good for the lower speed acceleration? Thank you

Peak power is reduced when the battery is cooler than optimal (say under 25-30C) and is also reduced when your state of charge gets lower. To get maximum power you'll need to be around 90% SOC. Since peak power output doesn't happen until 65km/h or so, you won't feel the difference below that speed.
See this Reddit post where they dynoed a dual motor + boost at various SOC.

EDIT: as you can see from the second picture in Imgur from that post, the boost raises power all the way to 150km/h but the difference starts getting lower from 125km/h as the system reaches its maximum capacity.

Last edited:
FWIW north of ~70mph even a Performance of the same year won't be appreciably quicker than a Boosted AWD.

The refresh 2024 performance model however appears to be significantly quicker than the outgoing one, especially at higher speeds... the gap between old P and new P keeps growing all the way through the 1/4 mile, but comparing AWD+ to old P the gap does NOT get bigger after 60 .

Attached below is a chart of all the various configs showing real-world draggy results (some are older #s but should still be roughly representative)... (I left out the 2024 Highland LR AWD- because there's no boost available anyway for it, and with current US pricing and tax credits it's slightly more expensive than the P so doesn't make any sense for most buyers who care about any of this.)

lrawd3.png

IMG_1013.jpeg

Note: x axis is in KM.

Yep, power drops pretty rapidly past 50-60 mph. Constant power yields decreasing acceleration as speed increases (thanks physics) and air drag increases exponentially so the overall impact is it doesn’t pull too hard in the 70-90+ range.

Would love try a highland

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam
I own a dual motor with the Boost and have driven quite a few Performance model 3's along with driving mine prior to boost for a stretch.
From what I have seen and also observed you can feel the power difference throughout the range compared to one without the Boost ; at least till 90 or so MPH.
Entering a highway for example the difference is major for the best real world example I can think of.

From 40+ a Boosted Dual Motor has similar acceleration as a M3P (2017 - 2023) I believe ; it is from 0 - 40 where the Performance remains faster by a good margin in my experience not looking at any actual data.

Certain there are some YouTube videos out there doing 1/4 mile and rolling race tests with and without boost and against a P model.
Not sure if Carwow has any but is worth a look, I know I saw them test a Y dual motor before and after the boost.

This is a fun online simulator that you can select 3 cars to "race" an AWD, an AWD + Accel Boost and a Performance AWD
Not sure exactly how accurate but gives you a rough idea of the differences

Based on the results it gives of such a race, subtracting out the 0-100 times from the 0-60 times gives:
5.57 for a regular AWD
4.85 for a Boosted AWD
4.84 for a Performance
So that would mean that the Boost is actually doing more of a difference between 60 - 100 than it does from 0 - 60 and the AWD boosted vs. Performance are nearly the same from 60 - 100

Last edited:
Reactions: Destiny1701
This ☝️ I have a 22’ LRBoost and I can verify that pre Boost the 60-150kph power feel was slower and the car felt heavier.
ABoost provides an amazing jump in that mid to upper mid range. Even 0-60kph is better than a non boost real world feel.

Get it and you won’t regret it one bit :)

This is with most electric vehicles, they just run out of steam. The Taycan may be a bit better with it's 2speed transmission. The only way to truly not run out of steam is go Plaid with the higher RPM range. I personally enjoy our Model 3 LR RWD. It may not be the quickest but really makes a fun to drive car.

It appears that the new 2024 Model 3 Performance is impacted less by this phenomenon, due to multiple anecdotal reports from both regular owners and well known "youtubers".