Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration shudder fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received the updated FIX (part # 77-C) on my car. The rattle is completely gone. However, I noticed an issue:

Set the car to HIGH suspension
Accelerate by pressing down on the pedal

Do you notice a "vibration/clanking".

This is gone at standard setting.

Those of you who had the fix added can you please try this and check if you face the same sound?

Here is what I was able to record:

Last edited:

So, why would you do this other than to stress the components with a full power acceleration? The car cancels the HIGH setting at 45 mph anyway. The time you need this feature is when you are going over speed bumps not when you are driving on a smooth highway.

Read the section about launching the car in the manual. Air suspension on low. It's in the ludicrous section of the acceleration modes chapter but good advice even without it. The reason is to get the half shafts more in line with the wheel. Minimizes stress on the CV joints that way. The noise you are hearing is well documented in the forums and replacing the half shafts cures it. But you are still not supposed to do the acceleration test on the HIGH setting.

Reactions: Droschke
So, why would you do this other than to stress the components with a full power acceleration? The car cancels the HIGH setting at 45 mph anyway. The time you need this feature is when you are going over speed bumps not when you are driving on a smooth highway.

Read the section about launching the car in the manual. Air suspension on low. It's in the ludicrous section of the acceleration modes chapter but good advice even without it. The reason is to get the half shafts more in line with the wheel. Minimizes stress on the CV joints that way. The noise you are hearing is well documented in the forums and replacing the half shafts cures it. But you are still not supposed to do the acceleration test on the HIGH setting.
Do you have any idea why mine now makes this noise on standard setting?

Would a March 2018 Model X have the improved parts?

And if it does shudder and I keep driving it, will it ultimately fail?

Sometimes I hear something funny and I'm not sure if I have jack shaft shudder or not.

The Longest-Range Electric Vehicle Now Goes Even Farther

Constant Refinement

To complement these changes, we’ve also re-engineered several other components of Model S and Model X in keeping with our philosophy of continuous improvement. These updates include new wheel bearings and a few new tire designs for certain variants to improve range, ride, and steering. While these changes may seem minor, together they have a meaningful impact when it comes to EV design.

I just received the updated FIX (part # 77-C) on my car. The rattle is completely gone. However, I noticed an issue:

Do you notice a "vibration/clanking".

This is gone at standard setting.

Those of you who had the fix added can you please try this and check if you face the same sound?

Here is what I was able to record:

My SC told me I will always get that shutter/clanging if the suspension is set higher than standard. He recommended low setting for full throttle from stop.

That is what I got from the service centre as well. They say that the suspension by default is made to run "low" that anything higher can cause this sound. For now, it has been nearly 5-8K Km since I got the new 77C struts installed and so far, it seems good. Definitely worth it as a tradeoff. I also recently got them to replace the right sway bar and the suspension rattle is all but gone. I didn't bother checking if this shudder is persistent after the sway bar replacement.

That is what I got from the service centre as well. They say that the suspension by default is made to run "low" that anything higher can cause this sound. For now, it has been nearly 5-8K Km since I got the new 77C struts installed and so far, it seems good. Definitely worth it as a tradeoff. I also recently got them to replace the right sway bar and the suspension rattle is all but gone. I didn't bother checking if this shudder is persistent after the sway bar replacement.

Yeah, one SC told me that replacing those struts (axles?) would NOT resolve the problem, but a different SC told me it likely would, so they replaced them at no charge and I have not had the issue since then.

They also told me that I should keep the car in standard suspension height as much as possible to get the best tire wear.