Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limited full acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I need to accelerate hard, I never press the pedal instantly. I always push the pedal with lesser rate. So it would take about half second or quarter a second to fully press the pedal.
I noticed that the car accelerate with very good torque from the beginning of the depress all the way to middle and almost to the end. But when the pedal reaches to the very end of its travel, the car did not have the same acceleration. But then when I left go off the pedal slightly from fully pressed down, the acceleration went back up again.
Has anyone had a similar experience?

2020 M3LRAB 42k
50% soc
Rainy

I don't quite understand your explanation but here are a couple of comments that might help.
If the wheels slip because they lose grip, the car will reduce power (traction control) and might reduce quite drastically if the steering wheel is turned (stability control). Although the car will try to add more power back to find the limit of traction, letting go of the accelerator and pressing it back will probably do it quicker. That might be what you have experienced.
You can look at obstacle-aware acceleration and turn it off to see if it helps.

Reactions: Lindenwood
The car decelerate when I push the pedal further down
No it doesn't. Humans are just awful data recorders.

Get a datalogger for the car which shows throttle position vs motor current. You won't see what you think you are feeling. The car would literally be undrivable with what you decribe, going from negative torque at full throttle to full positive torque with just a bit less pedal position.

No throttle pedal in the world is linear- people like "sporty" pedals which have a lot of response in the middle of the travel. So it's very normal to detect more response in the middle and the top of the pedal to feel somewhat dead, but this is very, very different than a negative curve on the pedal.

Why are you pressing the pedal slowly anyway? This does not help the car in any way or reduce wear.

• Love
There is no wheel slip.
You won’t notice screeching or fishtailing. The car will sense wheel slip in fractions of a wheel rotation and cut power for brief moments.

That said, I believe @gearchruncher’s assessment is likely. Indeed, like most cars, the pedal causes the car to produce maybe 75-80% of max wheel torque at only 50% throttle. So, the difference in acceleration between, say, 75% and 100% throttle might only be 5-10%, which is very hard to feel and may be perceived as not working correctly. Especially coupled with any normal wheel spin corrections at full throttle, you are likely logging normal operations as erroneous.

These cars are a far removed from the old days of manual connection to a throttle plate. We have specific pedal mapping and throttle mapping software. It's not linear. If you want to accelerate hard, snap it down as fast as possible, let the traction control do it's thing. So long as you have a surface with good traction

• Funny
Reactions: shahryaran
These cars are a far removed from the old days of manual connection to a throttle plate. We have specific pedal mapping and throttle mapping software. It's not linear. If you want to accelerate hard, snap it down as fast as possible, let the traction control do it's thing. So long as you have a surface with good traction
I get better 0-60 not slamming the pedal. Measured by several equipments

• Funny
Reactions: 804son
Post up your data please!

this is with pedal slamming
Resized_Screenshot_20230913_163941_Dragger_1694648385549.jpeg

The burden of proof is on you.
You should provide proof of your claim.

• Funny
Reactions: 804son
Strange thread for sure.

The reason that gas engines don't seem to have more power from ~75%-100% throttle is due to the throttle plate hardly being a restriction at that point. There is a cool feature in iRacing that allows you to select either a linear map (more akin to the EV experience or our 350Z racecar) or a butterfly-style map that reacts like a typical gas engine (lots of torque with minimal throttle % but not much difference near WOT). If you've driven a Miata on the track you know exactly what I mean!

My only guess with the limited information from OP is that there was some tire spin or a... misunderstanding of what is happening. It seems extremely unlikely that the car slows down when you go from 95% to 100% on the "go pedal."

The reason that gas engines don't seem to have more power from ~75%-100% throttle is due to the throttle plate hardly being a restriction at that point.
I think you mean older cars with mechanical throttles.
All the DBW cars I have ever looked at the tuning tables for have the pedal mapped to a torque request, and the throttle plate angle is a result of achieving that torque, which could easily be linearized.
That said, they do stil tend to be mapped so the pedal has a lot of response in the middle and less at the top. This gets even worse in "sport" mode for cars where this often just makes the car feel "sporty" by mapping 90% of torque to 60% of pedal travel.

I think you mean older cars with mechanical throttles.
All the DBW cars I have ever looked at the tuning tables for have the pedal mapped to a torque request, and the throttle plate angle is a result of achieving that torque, which could easily be linearized.
That said, they do stil tend to be mapped so the pedal has a lot of response in the middle and less at the top. This gets even worse in "sport" mode for cars where this often just makes the car feel "sporty" by mapping 90% of torque to 60% of pedal travel.
Haha yes, good old-fashioned throttle cables! On our 350Z we have the DBW mapped to be linear ie. 50% throttle = 50% torque which is nice for the driver to handle 800hp.