Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceptable XPEL XR Plus Install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get a refund and take your car somewhere else. Switching the product without telling you on top of a poor install is unacceptable.

As far as the door window edges go, some places will just use precut templates vs applying the film and cutting the edge so the film is flush with the glass. It's not uncommon and it doesn't mean a shop is bad. It is on you to find out how the shop likes to operate. A seamless install on frameless windows in particular looks significantly better.

What was wrong with the install? I have a big piece of dirt on my rear glass and some uneven cuts on the side that annoy me. (Just wondering what the lifetime warranty really covers)
Creases and scratches in the back window along with air bubbles and contamination bubbles, same for the front windshield. It's been over a month in 95-degree heat and nothing cleared up..

Thank you for choosing XPEL. But sorry that you were not completely satisfied with the results, certified XPEL installers are trained to avoid mistakes such as this.
From this experience, I think XPEL needs to evaluate their authorized installers. Major red flag if an installer invoices a client for XPEL products and installed a different product without consulting the customer. I paid for the service, received something else, and they failed to tell me in any point of the process. What would happen with my warranty later?

Update from my original post - I did file a complaint with XPEL and a rep contacted me to "resolve" my issue with the installer. I wish XPEL could have helped me argue for a full refund. In the end, I received a 70% refund from the first installer and did not have to return to remove the film. I went to another XPEL authorized installer to remove and install. I did have to pay a more than I had budgeted for the second time around.

From this experience, I think XPEL needs to evaluate their authorized installers. Major red flag if an installer invoices a client for XPEL products and installed a different product without consulting the customer. I paid for the service, received something else, and they failed to tell me in any point of the process. What would happen with my warranty later?

Update from my original post - I did file a complaint with XPEL and a rep contacted me to "resolve" my issue with the installer. I wish XPEL could have helped me argue for a full refund. In the end, I received a 70% refund from the first installer and did not have to return to remove the film. I went to another XPEL authorized installer to remove and install. I did have to pay a more than I had budgeted for the second time around.
The red flag is for the installer, not XPEL. Product companies have installer partners but the business and day to day decisions are made by the installer. XPEL can't be at fault for what the installer did to your vehicle.

That said, they should reevaluate the qualifications of that particular installer of that's what they doing with the product.

I'm also curious what shop did this. We have an appt in mid-August for PPF, tint and ceramic. A Plus Auto Styling, Forest Hill, MD.

Also curious what percent tint you used on the windows. We went with 45%.
@DeltaOne; how did your tinting come out?? I'm looking for a place right now, literally in the same area!! I would go to Columbia but need to avoid whatever place @pegasus2020 went to. Looking to do XPEL XR+ on an M3LR, like..... now!!

@DeltaOne; how did your tinting come out?? I'm looking for a place right now, literally in the same area!! I would go to Columbia but need to avoid whatever place @pegasus2020 went to. Looking to do XPEL XR+ on an M3LR, like..... now!!

We set out one day to check out A Plus Auto Styling (Forest Hills) and All American Paint Protection (Rockville). Went to A Plus first and was so impressed we booked an appointment and never went to AAPP in Rockville.

A Plus did a great job on our car. PPF, tint and ceramic. Only downside was they were so busy we had to wait six weeks to get our car in their shop and they needed 10 business days to finish. So no complaints at all, I highly recommend A Plus in Forest Hills.

Just now I don't remember the name of the shop in Columbia that did the bad job. Just stick with A Plus or AAPP and you'll get a good result.

Reactions: CanadaBill
We set out one day to check out A Plus Auto Styling (Forest Hills) and All American Paint Protection (Rockville). Went to A Plus first and was so impressed we booked an appointment and never went to AAPP in Rockville.

A Plus did a great job on our car. PPF, tint and ceramic. Only downside was they were so busy we had to wait six weeks to get our car in their shop and they needed 10 business days to finish. So no complaints at all, I highly recommend A Plus in Forest Hills.

Just now I don't remember the name of the shop in Columbia that did the bad job. Just stick with A Plus or AAPP and you'll get a good result.
Thank you @DeltaOne! Look for a Red/White/LR/Aero around town after 12/07, my delivery day! Happy Christmas!

Reactions: DeltaOne
Sadly, too many shops like to piggyback on the Xpel name and then switch up when you go for install. It's becoming more and more of a problem around our two shops, as the years go on. That's a pretty horrible installation and needs to be replaced. I don't know if this is cause of looking for the budget price or?? Even a budget job should've been better though. Speak to Xpel about this IMO.