Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accessing webpage on gatewa's IP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not a Tesla owner, I did some research on this, and I saw that Tesla browser won't be able to access any internal IP's when connected to the Wifi, however, I wasn't able to find out if that also refers to the gateway, example if you connect to your home's Wifi can you access the routers admin page, using the IP, as gateway should work slightly different.

I'm asking this because I'm the developer of the Headunit Reloaded app ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gb.xxy.hr ) and I'm thinking of a pretty complicated way to make Android Auto work over the built in browser, I have no clue how performance will work out as, no video can be actually shown on the units, so I will need to find a way to convert a h264 video stream to an image sequence and show them in a browser hopefully at a reasonable refresh rate for it to be usable, but if the browser cannot connect to the gateway's ip address either, then it's pointless to even start the development on this project.

You're feedback/input is appreciated.
Thank you.

If you have full control of the gateway, shouldn't be too complicated to fake it (setup a virtual interface with another IP outside of the local network, then NAT the traffic from/to the Tesla network to the same).
Yeah but the Gateway would be the android phone, and you have limited possibilities on the phone, unless it's a rooted phone and then you can actually change almost anything....

Yeah but the Gateway would be the android phone, and you have limited possibilities on the phone, unless it's a rooted phone and then you can actually change almost anything....
I've been playing a little bit with the android auto interface.

I'm able to use an RPI as a router. It acts as a wifi host on the Tesla browser side and as a wifi client on the phone side (non-rooted android). The Android Auto app is able to connect to the RPI over wifi.

Also on the RPI is Lighthttpd server with an address out of the RFC1918 range. All traffic is passed through to the phone internet connection except for "non-local" server address.

What I'm trying to do is capture the android auto feed to the RPI and display static images from the feed from the RPI server to the Tesla browser. The server can then display static images to the Tesla web browser at a set interval.

Yes I had more ore less the same idea, but without adding RPI to it, simply use the phone, as a server, so it will look like:

Android Auto -> APP (converts h264 to jpg) -> push jpg -> connected browser
connected browsers touch -> app -> Android Auto

I will have a look if there is any way (at least with root) to change the build in tethering address range or to add some kind of host rule, where the phone (which is the gateway) redirects all traffic to a specific real-world IP to localhost as that should also work.

I am really hyped to see someone trying to do this! I will totally buy your app if it works decently!

Edit: Also, if it comes down to it, requiring an Rpi wouldn't be the worst thing. I already plan on installing one in my car to handle my dashcam as Sentry mode fills up the flash drive and then I have to manually clear it out. Rpi will handle that, it can do double duty as a relay for AA if necessary.

Well if the Gateway cannot be accessed it means it will need a rooted phone. I will see I do have quite a few developments still ongoing but might try to put something together to see if the performance is enough for a decent experience.

That would be unfortunate. I think you'd get more buyers with an Rpi solution than a rooted phone solution personally, but you'd have to do your own research on that.

I’m pretty sure WiFi is shut off as soon as you shift into Drive, it was a fix for the car driving out of WiFi range and streaming radio being offline while the car tried to reconnect before switching to cellular.

The Wi-Fi gets shut off even when you are at home. It only stays on long enough to check for an update. I feel that all web browser traffic may go out the cellular connection anyway. Easily verified with a whatismyip check.

The Wi-Fi gets shut off even when you are at home. It only stays on long enough to check for an update. I feel that all web browser traffic may go out the cellular connection anyway. Easily verified with a whatismyip check.

When 4g on Tesla was partially out a year or two ago I used my 4g WiFi hotspot while the car was moving. IIRC I had to initiate the connection after the car was in drive.

I have not checked for a while, but a while back when I didn, MCU1 car browsed through a VPN (whatismyip showed some CA IP), while MCU2 car was going direct to websites (whatismyip showed my WiFi gateway address). Even when going through VPN, the actual VPN traffic went through the WiFi though (not detectable via whatismyip).

I have not checked for a while, but a while back when I didn, MCU1 car browsed through a VPN (whatismyip showed some CA IP), while MCU2 car was going direct to websites (whatismyip showed my WiFi gateway address). Even when going through VPN, the actual VPN traffic went through the WiFi though (not detectable via whatismyip).
Fyi, double checked MCU1 with 2019.20.4.2 - when on WiFi, the browser goes directly to destination, not via VPN anymore.