Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident - Got hit from behind

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last summer husband drifted into a fire hydrant very slowly causing damage to the left front corner of the car (41K, 2015 MS with all the bells and whistles) all the airbags exploded. Insurance totaled the car. The insurance company gave us a very low estimate of value and we had to fight for every additional penny including showing that the new tires had less than 1K miles on them, free SC, it was in pristine condition because I picked it up from a body shop three days earlier where a few scratches were polish out, had ceramic coating, etc. My point is you may be shocked at how little your car is valued by your insurance company and it might be worth your time to fight to get a better insurance value. We did buy an inventory X from the local Tesla dealership. (the car was not listed on the Tesla site. It had more features than we wanted when I thought we'd order new and it was discounted $X per mile so was less expensive than the MS in 2015.

Reactions: SammichLover
Similar accident. The little girl was on her PDA in a big Toyota PU. She had limited insurance due to many many priors. They called our insurance and pleaded that because it was a Tesla, they wouldn't be able to cover the full amount. AAA said, "We'll see you in court".

The cat was driveable but the rear hatch wasn't useable. It was during our rainy season so we taped up the seams and waited until the Tesla approved shop got the parts. It took a while because when they peeled back the damage, more was found, more parts to be ordered.

Now, as good as new, except it sports an accident on its Carfax data. I didn't think about that until just now but we should have been reimbursed for the potential loss upon sale. Oh well, 20-20 hindsight.

Oh, the PU was totaled.

Looks about a $12K repair. Maybe as high as $15K.

Definitely not totalled, unless there's a massive amount of hidden damage, which seems unlikely.

Do you own a body shop? Did you notice how the rear quarter was pushed into the rear door so that the door probably doesn't open and close properly?

This is a mega expensive repair. I had a minor cosmetic sideswipe along the side of my last car that was a lot less work to fix than this car, and it was over $10K to fix it.

Similar accident. The little girl was on her PDA in a big Toyota PU. She had limited insurance due to many many priors. They called our insurance and pleaded that because it was a Tesla, they wouldn't be able to cover the full amount. AAA said, "We'll see you in court".

The cat was driveable but the rear hatch wasn't useable. It was during our rainy season so we taped up the seams and waited until the Tesla approved shop got the parts. It took a while because when they peeled back the damage, more was found, more parts to be ordered.

Now, as good as new, except it sports an accident on its Carfax data. I didn't think about that until just now but we should have been reimbursed for the potential loss upon sale. Oh well, 20-20 hindsight.

Oh, the PU was totaled.
In California, we have a 3 year statute of limitations to file for diminished value claims, so you might still have time? If you were so interested.

Do you own a body shop? Did you notice how the rear quarter was pushed into the rear door so that the door probably doesn't open and close properly?

This is a mega expensive repair. I had a minor cosmetic sideswipe along the side of my last car that was a lot less work to fix than this car, and it was over $10K to fix it.

Just got our car back from having the rear quarter panel replaced with associated work. Mine was about a $10K job.
The biggest expenses relate to paintwork. Really, that's where most of the cost was.

While this car has more severe damage, the damaged area is very similar, so I'm taking my invoice and adding for some extra stuff.

BTW: Ours is also blue,but you can probably figure that from my avatar name. :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mspohr
I remember back in '17, when we'd only had our S for a while, it got a whack-a-post from a valet. Nothing big, but had to be repaired, and it was on the hotel, so off I went to the Tesla-approved body shop. I was still in the glow of new ownership and was appalled to see how many seriously damaged Model S (the only model at the time, other than Roadster) cars were parked in their lot. Some really torn up. It was like seeing a Civil War battlefield, almost made me want to cry. The point of this post, though, is that I've seen cars in for repair that made OP's photo look like a paint scratch.

Pretty common hit that we've seen. I remember we had a month where we almost had two or three of these coming in a day - all hit in the same quarter area. There is generally quite a bit more hidden damage that you'll see after a proper and thorough teardown. We're never a fan of visual estimates but from our experience that's an easy 20k hit. Just our .02.

Over the years, I've had a couple of occasions where "the other guy's" insurance raised all kinds of objections that disappeared once they were dealing with my insurance company as opposed to me. First thing I would do with an accident like that is see a reputable orthopedist.

Reactions: voxelman
Well. Here's my plan if mine gets wrecked. I've read here and TM that it can take easily 6 months or more before a well-wrecked Tesla is fixed. Talk to my insurance company - an the other insurance company.. Either my insurance or the other will be paying for a rental. I am sure they know it takes a while - months to get a Tesla fixed. Do they want to pay for months of rental car for me? I will try to get them to give me a lump sum settlement for just the rental car part separate from the accident. If I can, I can use it for a down payment on a used Tesla to drive while mine is in the shop.

If they total mine, then I can use the used on and trade it in. While mine is wrecked and in the stop, I am pausing insurance on the wrecked one. Sure don't need it sitting in the shop.

Then, find a used one maybe cheap one. Maybe at an auction. Maybe buy a used Tesla trade-in from Tesla before they sell it to the auction. Find one, and buy it with as little down as I can, maybe the cheapest I can find, or maybe one like I have before it was wrecked. Be flexible. Drive it and make payments until mine is fixed. In the mean time, work on making the used one better looking and nicer looking than it was when I bought it. Clean it. I am going to try to sell it months from now for at least what I bought it for. And when I get mine back, if its not good, I am going to sell or trade it to get back where I was before. Not going to try and cheat anyone, but put my energies into still driving a Tesla while I wait on repairs.

Once I am back in a Tesla, I can let my insurance company and/or the other insurance company figure it out, fight it out, but I am now in a better position versus at their mercy to give me what they want to give me because I am no longer in a rush to settle so I can find another car.
The best laid plans of mice and men

Reactions: Akikiki
FYI doing this in many states is illegal - you can't just pause insurance on a car you still own if the car has active registration.

While you may nor may not be able to pause your liability insurance on an undrivable car, you should absolutely not terminate the comprehensive insurance. Most most shops I've seen have an ironic "NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE" sign. So if the car is vandalized or stolen from their lot, you would be out of luck.

Reactions: SammichLover
I fully feel your pain. Had a very similar experience last summer in LaCrosse Wisconsin in the middle of a 5000km road trip. Ironically, also a blue M3 rear ended by a driver with suspended license and no insurance.The good news (sort of) is:

Not totalled!

Really bummed... had to arrange towing to Minneapolis, rental car to continue trip, and the hassle of needing to fly back to Minneapolis to retrieve the repaired car 3 months later. But the car was repaired and looks new.