Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident - Got hit from behind

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my way to work this morning when I was rear ended. I'm not sure what the difference in speed was, but I wasn't stopping or anything. I was going with the flow of traffic which was about 70 give or take. The other driver had to be going much faster to make everything in my car go flying around like it did. He was taken in for a DUI. The caution cones he hit and sparks coming out of the bottom of his car made for a dramatic scene though.

You're okay? Great video evidence. I'm guessing the motorcyclist witnessed the incident and stopped to help.

Was in Delaware on the highway, and came to a traffic slowdown (from emergency workers cleaning up a fatal accident), middle lane with everyone else - when some idiot in the fast lane who was going too fast, couldn't stop and slammed into my rear driver's side quarter panel. Guy with no license was driving his girlfriends car. She allegedly has insurance.

I'm so glad we weren't hurt badly.
But my M3. Had it for 1.5yrs I'd say.
I loved that car... So bummed I'll be spending this miserable summer without my electric car.
What do you guys think? Repairable? Totalled?
Also.. it was an early model - full data for free. Ugh.
View attachment 544605
Unfortunately I got t boned on my rear passenger approximately 3 months ago. $27,000 in repairs.

However on the bright side, finally my car comes back out from the shops this week! But on the flip side my model 3 only has 800 miles. I only had the car for 3 weeks! I’m mad and happy at the same time. Thank you for listening to me vent!

Attachments

• 837A2EEA-751D-4E8A-80EC-AB692CB34EBA.jpeg
    837A2EEA-751D-4E8A-80EC-AB692CB34EBA.jpeg
    565 KB · Views: 112
  • 5C5B4E3A-272E-4565-A44B-A3B3F9897819.jpeg
    5C5B4E3A-272E-4565-A44B-A3B3F9897819.jpeg
    520.6 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: KenC
On my way to work this morning when I was rear ended. I'm not sure what the difference in speed was, but I wasn't stopping or anything. I was going with the flow of traffic which was about 70 give or take. The other driver had to be going much faster to make everything in my car go flying around like it did. He was taken in for a DUI. The caution cones he hit and sparks coming out of the bottom of his car made for a dramatic scene though.
Nice to have such a wide breakdown area, and not have traffic whizzing by at 70mph, just inches away. That closing rate was crazy! Seemed to have a little weave as he approached.

Reactions: IGW1
Unfortunately I got t boned on my rear passenger approximately 3 months ago. $27,000 in repairs.

However on the bright side, finally my car comes back out from the shops this week! But on the flip side my model 3 only has 800 miles. I only had the car for 3 weeks! I’m mad and happy at the same time. Thank you for listening to me vent!
How did that guy miss seeing your bright green Tesla!

Reactions: LionXng
Glad your okay

How did that guy miss seeing your bright green Tesla!
I have no idea, he ran the stop sign and was threatening to hit me like it was my fault. Thank god it was a Tesla, and it was actively recording the accident. So I filed against him and won, and he’s paying out of pocket for the damages for not having insurance.

all I can say is “mustang drivers man” isn’t just a stereotype anymore. And I hope everyone is safe driving on the roads, because this accident taught me, to be even more aware of your blind spots.

I hope you’re safe!

Rear ended by a drunk driver. No brakes at all. $13k repair bill so far.

Other driver was insured, fortunately. They had me set up with Hertz for a Corolla. Me to guy at Hertz: “Have anything closer to the Model 3? Maybe a BMW, or Audi?” Hertz guy: “Best I have is a Camry.” That was a month ago. Expecting to have it back early-mid august.

I miss the Model 3.

DF6A12F7-F137-411B-8318-88E062D23CD9.jpeg 60008A81-F133-4215-8B31-3DBA798C229E.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: IGW1 and KenC
Rear ended by a drunk driver. No brakes at all. $13k repair bill so far.

Other driver was insured, fortunately. They had me set up with Hertz for a Corolla. Me to guy at Hertz: “Have anything closer to the Model 3? Maybe a BMW, or Audi?” Hertz guy: “Best I have is a Camry.” That was a month ago. Expecting to have it back early-mid august.

I miss the Model 3.

View attachment 566963 View attachment 566964

Hopefully it stays at 13k. My Tesla was originally a 10k repair, but then they opened it up and saw a whole bunch of the sensors, axle, brakes, rims/tires, and much more stuff had to be replaced. I was sorta blown away by how expensive it was for the repair job

Nice to have such a wide breakdown area, and not have traffic whizzing by at 70mph, just inches away. That closing rate was crazy! Seemed to have a little weave as he approached.
Yeah, it opened up on the left just in time. A few hundred feet back and the lane was right next to a median. And the lack of traffic was really nice too.

Thanks, I will report back! Verrry curious how it will drive compared to my M3. We had the 19" wheels and I always kept 42+psi tire pressure, and my wife really disliked it. So we'll see how the weight, height, 20" Gemini wheels (maybe at ~38psi to keep wife happy) rides. Might seem mushy compared to what I'm used to - but I'm willing to compromise!
I have had my lrm3 since June 10, 2018 and took delivery of our AWD white w black 19 in induction wheels Y on June 19th. It looks great especially with the chrome delete. We are keeping both cars. The Y drives well, but the 3 feels more “glued to the ground”. You notice it when you drive more windy roads or are getting off or on round freeway exits/entrances. I still love the 3 and prefer to drive it over the Y. The Y is great if you need more room (like the hatch back trunk style way more than a regular trunk), is easier for taller people to get into, love the full panoramic roof. Love how both have the super clean, modern interior with no grills, buttons ,dials on the dash to collect dust. I feel more in control driving the 3 ...as the car simply feels like it is moving in sync with you. The Y does. It quite give that feel. I think it comes down to whether you need the extra space. If you don’t, I still recommend the 3 for driving experience.

So glad that everyone was OK, and that you're going to made as whole as possible in the whole thing. Totaling out is probably best case here.

If you don't mind, would LOVE to hear your review of the Y once it arrives! I've got one on reservation and REALLY waffling whether to trade in my 3 for it, or cancel the reservation. Very conflicted!
Noooo, don’t trade in your 3....check out the response I made to Relay... On lrm3 vs. model Y AWD 19 in induction wheels.

Would AP do anything to try and avoid being rear ended?

Excellent question! If an imminent rear collision is detected, it could:
  1. Flash the tail lights (without braking) to try to get the other drivers attention (maybe even honk)
  2. Accelerate (maybe? limited to X above speed limit) to reduce effect of impact
  3. Change lanes if possible

The problem with options 2 and 3 is that it could make things worse; impact during a maneuver could spin the car, and losing control at higher speed will increase damage and injury.

You're okay? Great video evidence. I'm guessing the motorcyclist witnessed the incident and stopped to help.
Yeah, just some minor back pain. I recline the back of my seat more than most people, so I'm guessing my seating position put more stress on my lower back than it normally would have. The motorcyclist did stop and make sure we were okay, it didn't look like anything hit him from what I could see in the videos.

It seems like he had trouble keeping his balance when he got out of the car. Was be obviously impaired when you were speaking with him?
He looked very sweaty when he got out, and his story of just zoning out didn't make a whole lot of sense with how hard he mashed the pedal, and he didn't brake at all. He did seem a bit impaired when we talked.