Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Across the USA for battery upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finished my trip from NV to NC and back to get my battery upgraded from @wk057 I went from a P85D to a P100DL, my battery was in great condition and according to recurrent it was actually much better the others on the road, but i wanted more range and faster charging so it was time to upgrade the pack.

I love collecting data and figured I'd share it with all y'all.

going there
It took 56 hours and 15 minutes to complete the drive of 2,640 miles. i charged for a total of 16.7 hours with an average stopped time of 40 min for a would be cost of $325 (free charging)

For the return trip
it took 51 hours and 45 minutes, 2,643 miles. Charge totaling 9.9 hours with an average stopped time of 23 minutes and a would be cost of $338 i could've charged less but i need to nap and with such fast charging the car would be like its time to start driving and I'd have just started to drift off to sleep

You can see the charts here with the 85 in red and the 100 in yellow how much faster the supercharging really is.
One thing is a bit disorienting and will take some getting used to thought is the amount f juice remaining to get somewhere. I'll be driving and have 47% or so and it will say I'll have 30% when i get to my charge location like 50 miles away. After having the 85 for soooo long I've gotten used to how much will be remaining and what a random distance will take for power.

overlay.png

I just finished my trip from NV to NC and back to get my battery upgraded from @wk057 I went from a P85D to a P100DL, my battery was in great condition and according to recurrent it was actually much better the others on the road, but i wanted more range and faster charging so it was time to upgrade the pack.

I love collecting data and figured I'd share it with all y'all.

going there
It took 56 hours and 15 minutes to complete the drive of 2,640 miles. i charged for a total of 16.7 hours with an average stopped time of 40 min for a would be cost of $325 (free charging)

For the return trip
it took 51 hours and 45 minutes, 2,643 miles. Charge totaling 9.9 hours with an average stopped time of 23 minutes and a would be cost of $338 i could've charged less but i need to nap and with such fast charging the car would be like its time to start driving and I'd have just started to drift off to sleep

You can see the charts here with the 85 in red and the 100 in yellow how much faster the supercharging really is.
One thing is a bit disorienting and will take some getting used to thought is the amount f juice remaining to get somewhere. I'll be driving and have 47% or so and it will say I'll have 30% when i get to my charge location like 50 miles away. After having the 85 for soooo long I've gotten used to how much will be remaining and what a random distance will take for power.

View attachment 935494
Thanks so much for sharing!! Considering doing it with my 2015 70D one day :)

Nice, congrats and welcome in 100kWh upgrade club! This yellow charging curve seems to be gathered on a V2 stall, with V3 I used to have up to 140kW until 40%. But then tha fade off was pretty quick, much faster then on V2, that's true. And also my louver problem still isn't solved, that also might have influenced it ;) But overall, pretty nice numbers, even it has not influenced the arrival time that much I'd expect ;)

Nice, congrats and welcome in 100kWh upgrade club! This yellow charging curve seems to be gathered on a V2 stall, with V3 I used to have up to 140kW until 40%. But then tha fade off was pretty quick, much faster then on V2, that's true. And also my louver problem still isn't solved, that also might have influenced it ;) But overall, pretty nice numbers, even it has not influenced the arrival time that much I'd expect ;)
It was a mix of V2 and V3 stations, as I travel more and use the SC network with the new pack I'll have more data and the curve will reflect that in my file. I was capping out at 135kW but I don't recall which ones were 2 or 3 stations

Regarding the time for the trip I woulda been shorter but I was tired and I hit some crazy weather had to do 20mph in Nebraska for quite a while for the rain, it was like a monsoon, I couldn't see past the hood of my car (at like 2am also) in Wyoming lots of snow I had to slow for since I didn't have my snow tires on and then again in NV the snow slowed me up. Also woulda been shorter if I had a co-driver.

It was a mix of V2 and V3 stations, as I travel more and use the SC network with the new pack I'll have more data and the curve will reflect that in my file. I was capping out at 135kW but I don't recall which ones were 2 or 3 stations

Regarding the time for the trip I woulda been shorter but I was tired and I hit some crazy weather had to do 20mph in Nebraska for quite a while for the rain, it was like a monsoon, I couldn't see past the hood of my car (at like 2am also) in Wyoming lots of snow I had to slow for since I didn't have my snow tires on and then again in NV the snow slowed me up. Also woulda been shorter if I had a co-driver.
Wow, cool, can't even imagine such conditions nowadays in Czech Rep :D In my case when I traveled for my 100pack, it was "only" 800miles one way and the only caveat was 170 miles between two SCs in Romania and raining at the same time. I stopped the charging at around 85% in Timisoara (didn't want to wait more, as it was terribly slow), estimation was approx 5%. It will be OK I persuaded myself...what a mistake... after few miles driven, the estimation jumped instantly to -5% so I was forced to stick some truck back on a highway and finally was glad I made it with 3% to the next SC in Sibiu :D The travel back with 100 pack is not worth to mention, it was flawless .. The good was I drove both directions on a highway at speeds up to 100mph to keep me awake and make it faster, so it was doable pretty quickly. And I also had a co-driver (even he was almost all of the time sleeping as we drove mostly during the night =).

Wow, cool, can't even imagine such conditions nowadays in Czech Rep :D In my case when I traveled for my 100pack, it was "only" 800miles one way and the only caveat was 170 miles between two SCs in Romania and raining at the same time. I stopped the charging at around 85% in Timisoara (didn't want to wait more, as it was terribly slow), estimation was approx 5%. It will be OK I persuaded myself...what a mistake... after few miles driven, the estimation jumped instantly to -5% so I was forced to stick some truck back on a highway and finally was glad I made it with 3% to the next SC in Sibiu :D The travel back with 100 pack is not worth to mention, it was flawless .. The good was I drove both directions on a highway at speeds up to 100mph to keep me awake and make it faster, so it was doable pretty quickly. And I also had a co-driver (even he was almost all of the time sleeping as we drove mostly during the night =).
Sounds like a great road trip!! Question, I just stumbled on this interesting thread.... I have a 2015 MS 85 ... are these batt upgrades fitting Tesla orig 100KWh battery packs?... refurbs ? and I guess Tesla won't do this right? Someone told me that they would only fit 90s into older cars? .... prob there is a thread on this I could read so I should say sorry in advance if this has been answered 100s times already!!

Sounds like a great road trip!! Question, I just stumbled on this interesting thread.... I have a 2015 MS 85 ... are these batt upgrades fitting Tesla orig 100KWh battery packs?... refurbs ? and I guess Tesla won't do this right? Someone told me that they would only fit 90s into older cars? .... prob there is a thread on this I could read so I should say sorry in advance if this has been answered 100s times already!!
Everything is explained at the shop's website linked above

Reactions: ukr_mike
Everything is explained at the shop's website linked above

We use OEM 100 kWh packs that we refurbish. While Tesla won't generally do this for whatever reason, the official firmware and such exists to do it since at some point they must have done so (probably for a service vehicle or something). There are some other modifications needed on the vehicle side, depending on the vehicle, but we handle all of that in the cost of the upgrade.

We use OEM 100 kWh packs that we refurbish. While Tesla won't generally do this for whatever reason, the official firmware and such exists to do it since at some point they must have done so (probably for a service vehicle or something). There are some other modifications needed on the vehicle side, depending on the vehicle, but we handle all of that in the cost of the upgrade.
Thanks @wk057 . This is awesome. I've a feeling my 2015 might just get better with age! I think it might out live myself. :D

• Love
Reactions: jschimel
Thanks @wk057 . This is awesome. I've a feeling my 2015 might just get better with age! I think it might out live myself. :D
Haha, what an optimist out there! Was just working on my very loud parking brakes this weekend to see if it is somehow repairable.. And the general axles service + several other little pains are still pending. I would say the car is worth to maintain and it will give you the value if you take a care of it, but it is definitely not an infinite holder which will survive over ages without proper maintenance in my opinion ;) Wish you good luck with your MS 85 anyway ;)

I’m also considering this option. I checked you website looking for a few answers but couldn’t find them. Upgrading from a 75 (no D) to a 100. What are some of the additional changes that are required? I assume it has to do with the fact the 100kwh battery is much heavier. Is suspension changes required? Also does OTA updates still work? I’m also currently only offered a 85kwh or 100kwh no 90? Is this b/c a 90 isn’t really a 90? Any other potential downsides from upgrading? -Thanks