Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive Cruise Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My impression is that the more we talk about what's on those screens (and give fodder to the lazy journalists), the more we force or limit Tesla's hand. The fact that the press is starting to ask questions about those screens means that Tesla has to have an official response, and that official response by definition handcuffs them somewhat for future directions.

I disagree. Blogs speculate all the time. This isn't a battery fire that Tesla needs to address or be condemned. Microsoft doesn't comment on Xbox leaks. Apple doesn't comment on blog speculation either.

So is there any possibility at all that hardware for these features is already present in all S-es? ACC, LDWS could be done using camera's, which would incidentally jive with Elon's recent comments about using camera's for self-driving cars. One or more camera's could already be installed in the front ("nose") of the S-es. This gives a new meaning to right under your nose...

Can S-owners please inspect their cars looking for installed camera's?

What, a handful of ACC users will decide to trade in their Audi for a new one since they have become addicted to ACC? Rather than buy a ModelS which is the new car they *really* want? Not worth it for TM to R&D an ACC system, likewise some aftermarket developer. Looks like we've got us a QUANDARY!!

I'd love to play with an ACC but that kind of traffic is at least 150 miles away (beyond Tesla-Range). And if I did, I would be on *high alert* constantly, 'cause if it failed to respond properly I'd have to jump in and save my butt. Possibly more stress than simply driving properly in the first place. Like finding oneself in a real life video game or a special effects movie. Oy!!
--

I have ACC and lane departure on my 4 year old Prius and it works extremely well, with the only issue I can find is that it will not completely stop the car if the car in front of us stops. It disengages at about 20 mph and sends out a loud warning. My wife and I love ACC and we won't buy another new car that doesn't have these features. I bought the Tesla S even though I knew it was missing several important safety features because it was such a great car in all other aspects. My wife drives a Leaf and doesn't much like it, partially because of lack of ACC and other non EV related issues and would rather drive the Prius. I'll trade the S in for a model that includes lane departure, ACC and blind spot warning as soon as it is available.

I'm raising this thread from its death bed to ask if anyone has heard about ACC for Tesla.

Apparently the EU will require it on all cars starting at the end of 2014 and estimates over 25% reduction in highway fatalities as a result. As I understand it, these systems pretty much give ACC with stop and go capability for free.