Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive Front Lighting System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Auto high beam is miserable. @terranx is right. They keep flipping off and on even if there’s a lit billboard or a very reflective road sign.

But then… I did something that changed their behavior… I machine (random orbiter) polished the front windshield with some fine glass compound and then applied some glass ceramic stuff. At the time I didn’t realize the impact they’d have on auto high. The windshield is much clearer now.

My auto high is operating a whole lot better now! Not much seizure causing high beam behavior! I think I have significantly reduced the refractive noise on the windshield where the cameras are and that’s causing less erratic behavior

Auto high beam is miserable. @terranx is right. They keep flipping off and on even if there’s a lit billboard or a very reflective road sign.

But then… I did something that changed their behavior… I machine (random orbiter) polished the front windshield with some fine glass compound and then applied some glass ceramic stuff. At the time I didn’t realize the impact they’d have on auto high. The windshield is much clearer now.

My auto high is operating a whole lot better now! Not much seizure causing high beam behavior! I think I have significantly reduced the refractive noise on the windshield where the cameras are and that’s causing less erratic behavior
Which product in particular? I did apply a Gyeon's glass stuff a while ago, though who knows if I got good coverage over the camera area

Which product in particular? I did apply a Gyeon's glass stuff a while ago, though who knows if I got good coverage over the camera area
Gtechniq G1/G2
But I had that before as well. I think it’s really the machine polishing that did it. Griots garage makes a good glass machine polish and glass specific polish pads. Also did a fine clay bar on the glass before the polish.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
mtiede, your brights were probably on but the car isn't telling you that. Try testing your car again with a friend coming from the opposite direction.
I don't think they were on bright. The car that was flashing was followed by about 4 more and no one flashed. And after I had passed them all, I manually flashed lights and could tell the brights from not, and I'm pretty sure they were not on brights.

I just know that I see so many Teslas with their high beams on when they really don't need them and their very blinding. If they were adjusted a bit more down it would help alot but they all seam to be pointing towards the on coming cars and not at all towards the ground in front of them but at the on coming cars.
There are two procedures in the SM to adjust the headlights. The simpler one needs a level floor and a wall 25' away.

Since most home garages are sloped 2 deg per building code and smaller than this, I have not done it yet.

I might just adjust them down one notch at a time until it seems acceptable.

Reactions: tldickerson