Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Add a wifi connection popup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I got into my Model 3 and found that I had a new pop-up message from Tesla on my screen (pic attached).

I get that Tesla designed these cars to utilize WiFi and I get that 3G/4G for as many cars as they have in their fleet gets expensive quickly (hence the no-so-long-ago removed "premium connectivity" on newer Model 3's) but they're not exactly making it easy for some of us to connect to WiFi. Lets take my situation as an example:

- I live in an apartment (becoming increasingly common for Tesla owners as M3 continues to roll out) and my WiFi doesn't reach the parking spot I get.. so home is not an option
- I work at a relatively secured facility, so WiFi requires username and password to get on to even the guest network. As far as I can find on the car and online, there is absolutely no way to connect to a network like that. My work has an "IoT" network for situations like this (although really only supposed to be for work related devices) but even that doesn't work, I'm assuming it's something to do with WPA2 Enterprise security levels (car display says WPA2 Personal). So work is also out of the question
- I have tried public open wifi before (parking in a mall's structure for a long time that has free wifi) and I can't use that either because Tesla hasn't given us a way to click the "Accept Terms and conditions" button that every modern free WiFi network has

I have called Tesla about this specifically multiple times, talked to a mobile ranger and even asked at the service center and I've gotten one of three answers:
- Connect at Starbucks, you can totally click the "I agree" on your web browser (which you can't)
- Come to the service center and connect to our WiFi (never any parking and not exactly a great use of my time)
- Get a WiFi repeater and ask your apartment manager if you can install it on the outside of the building (high cost and unwilling participant in my apartment manager)

I'm not mad at Tesla, but for the first time I feel like they're slapping me in the face with this popup. I've been trying to connect my car to WiFi. I would love that. But Telsa isn't giving me the things that I need to do that and as such, I can't. If they want to save some money on LTE costs for the growing Model 3 fleet, maybe they should implement a few features and I'm sure many people would happily connect their cars to more WiFi.
</rant>

Does anyone have any more suggestions as to how I can connect up to WiFi given my situation?

Attachments

• 20190227_062237.jpg
    20190227_062237.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 421
  • Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte and McCaesar
Ah of course I just realized I forgot..
I have also gotten the "Just tether from your phone and leave it in the car" answer, but I only have 2GB of data/mo shared and I actually like to use my phone when I'm at home/work so it doesn't exactly make sense for me to do that either..

Ah of course I just realized I forgot..
I have also gotten the "Just tether from your phone and leave it in the car" answer, but I only have 2GB of data/mo shared and I actually like to use my phone when I'm at home/work so it doesn't exactly make sense for me to do that either..

Have you tried setting up the hotspot while in your garage just so the message goes away? Once set up, just turn off the hotspot right away.

I would suggest using a temporary name/password when setting up in case you need to use the hotspot in the future while in your car.

Not a great solution but hopefully good enough to get rid of the constant pop up.

Have you tried setting up the hotspot while in your garage just so the message goes away? Once set up, just turn off the hotspot right away.

I would suggest using a temporary name/password when setting up in case you need to use the hotspot in the future while in your car.

Not a great solution but hopefully good enough to get rid of the constant pop up.

The message itself isn't really a problem, I just clicked "No go away" and it politely left me alone. It's more that Tesla seems to want me to connect to WiFi but I have tried everything and can't seem to get it to work. I think it's going to end up just being a waiting game for them to see that they need some more WiFi connection options and then implementing them.

I'll try to setup a hotspot and see if the message goes away in the meantime