Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

add full self driving fsd?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so i am scheduled for delivery oct 30.
i ordered back in june.
now this article comes and again says basically the computer isnt good enough for full self driving
Tesla owners who ordered Full Self-Driving will get free HW3 upgrade, says Elon Musk

couple questions
-can i upgrade to fsd for the $3,000. website says its 5,000 AFTER delivery not ordering
-should i upgrade to fsd?

what have others done or will do?
thanks!

There are a number of threads on this very subject. It's true that ordering FSD after delivery will cost more. Currently $2000 more. The post-delivery upgrade price used to be $4000 and they raised it to $5000 a bit ago. Tesla has said that whatever upgrade price is advertised at the time of your specific purchase will be the upgrade price you pay whenever you choose to upgrade; however, some fear that will not hold true forever.

As for the value in upgrading before the feature is available, that is a personal question. On one hand, you're taking a large leap of faith that the FSD feature will be available and useful while you still own the car. On the other hand, there may be incremental benefits to having the better hardware and access to the FSD feature, even before it's fully baked. Plus, if you're altruistic towards Tesla, your money is helping them get there faster. Peruse the other threads on this subject for every possible perspective on the matter.

I did not buy it, and do not believe it will be worth 3k sooner than 3 years, id be surprised if it was available and fully useful sooner than 5 years.
I will wait until its fully baked, as I love EAP and don't know that I'd want a beta version that took even more control away from me. The only driving tasks left are the very difficult and dangerous ones.
If Elon wants to get there, maybe NOT starting from scratch? Ditching mobileye was a questionable choice in my eyes that set AP back at least 2 years. Or he can take the extra development cash out of his pocket, not mine. His are much fatter.

AP 2 is just recently getting as good as AP 1.

Last edited:
so i am scheduled for delivery oct 30.
i ordered back in june.
now this article comes and again says basically the computer isnt good enough for full self driving
Tesla owners who ordered Full Self-Driving will get free HW3 upgrade, says Elon Musk

A question/ concern that I have after I read this article was that when I purchased my Model S last year, I opted out of getting FSD because I knew that it was only going to cost $1000 extra to update later, and now it's $2000 extra to upgrade. If I had knew that before I took delivery, I would have purchase the upgrade. Is this price hike ethical?

Last edited:
Tesla has always stated that pricing is subject to change. Ethics not an issue. Everyone is informed up front.

Intersting that no one has ask if a pricing decrease is ethical.

The pricing of Tesla options and packages changes all the time. Mostly depends on the day you lock in your order.

Reactions: MXWing
Nothing. They have given every buyer the opportunity to order it with the car at a discount, and always said that it will cost more if you wait and add it later.

While I have always considered them to be fair, a lot will probably depend on their cost and demand to upgrade to the new hardware. Pricing may start out low, and climb with demand, or it may start out at a higher price and decline as their costs come down.

As service centers are already pretty full, it also may take some time to get a service slot to upgrade. Maybe it will be something that Mobile service can be able to do. Nobody knows for sure.

Last edited:
Tesla has always stated that pricing is subject to change. Ethics not an issue. Everyone is informed up front.

Interesting that no one has ask if a pricing decrease is ethical.

The pricing of Tesla options and packages changes all the time. Mostly depends on the day you lock in your order.

Well, if the customer is "negatively affected" with a increase in price, then some people may call the move "unethical". If the price goes down, the customer benefits, so there's no way a price decrease is unethical.

Reactions: johnzhang22
If you are lucky as a grandfathered existing owner, it would say that on your webpage but others got a $5,000 price on theirs.

I guess for those who don't see the $4,000 price, you'll just have to call up to confirm that grandfathered price.
Is anyone actually even seeing 4000 now? I know I am grandfathered in the 4000 but the website shows 5000.