Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding car charger to Powerwall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What you say is correct physics-wise, in fact there would be no reason to relocate the gateway breaker. All that would be required to protect the 200A bus is that the sum of any additional breakers be less than 200A. That covers the case that the gateway breaker is a net source; if the gateway breaker is a net load, then the bus is protected by the 200A main breaker as usual.

Right, That thought bounced around my brain, but then escaped.

Thanks for the feedback!

For those who are curious, I traced the wires from the generation panel and they head straight to the Gateway. The load panel pretty clearly is fed from only one source.

Thanks for all the good information in this thread. It's been very instructive.

Edit: I also forgot to add my thinking of why I prefer the EV connection to be inside the Gateway. My main thought is that that would allow me to better manage the state of charge of the Powerwalls during a power outage so they would not have to turn off solar.

Last edited:
The Gateway has two sets of output lugs. Normally, the Generation panel is connected to one set and the Backup panel is connected to the other. My Generation panel also has some incidental loads since the Backup panel was an existing sub-panel in a remote location.

If you want to have the ability to charge during a grid outage, I would suggest putting an additional NEMA 14-30 or 14-50 (depending on if you have one or two Powerwalls) as a backup charging plug. Wire your Wall Connector in the main panel outside the Gateway. It would be cost prohibitive for me to do that, so I would just limit myself to 120V emergency charging during a prolonged grid outage.

i spoke to two people, the main contact for my project at what was solarcity, and then the lead technician on my site at the job.

they can tell you what they are planning to have supported by the powerwall, and i went over my preferences for what to trade in or out.