Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adjacent vehicle location inaccurate even after camera calibrations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model 3 has been updated the latest version (2018.42.2 19e7e44) and the camera calibration has been completed. However, the adjacent vehicle locations are NOT accurate in some cases, such as, on my front left side or back right side. For example, when a car is passing me in the left lane, it will show as if it suddenly moves towards or into my lane and then move back when it goes further ahead. This is extremely annoying when I am using autopilot: the car would make sudden brakes since it recognize the car in my left lane as if it is in front of me!
I am wondering if somebody else meet this situation and what should I do to have this fixed.

What you see visually on the touchscreen is not the same as what the car sees. The screen is an interpretation of what the car actually sees, and it's not quite as accurate. But that shouldn't affect autopilot performance. Are you sure the phantom braking is always due to a car passing you in the adjacent lane and not something else, such as an overpass or a car it seems further ahead?

If your car is indeed braking every time cars in adjacent lanes pass you then you should take your car in to the service shop to have the cams calibrated.

My car did brake due to the car in the adjacent lane. I know that because the car will highlight the car ahead which is being followed on the screen, and I did see that the left lane car was changed to the lighlighted status, on and off.

The cars on the screen jumping around a bit is normal. If your car brakes for a car that isn't actually moving into your lane, that is not normal. I'd drive around a bit more to make sure that's actually what's happening, and then call service.

Adjacent cars jumping around make me crazy too. Looks like I'm going to get hit. Even when sitting at a stop light and the cars are not even moving they jump around. Makes me crazy. I can't believe this is normal or that Tesla would think that it is even satisfactory.

My model 3 has been updated the latest version (2018.42.2 19e7e44) and the camera calibration has been completed. However, the adjacent vehicle locations are NOT accurate in some cases, such as, on my front left side or back right side. For example, when a car is passing me in the left lane, it will show as if it suddenly moves towards or into my lane and then move back when it goes further ahead. This is extremely annoying when I am using autopilot: the car would make sudden brakes since it recognize the car in my left lane as if it is in front of me!
I am wondering if somebody else meet this situation and what should I do to have this fixed.

Same symptoms. Same problems. I have a video showing the problem.

I am on 46.2 and I still show the jumping cars but that doesn't bother me. The issue which is mostly unrelated is the car changing the actively tracked vehicle for TACC. There is one section of highway that I drive every morning that ends up being stop and go and TACC constantly changes which vehicle it is tracking to a vehicle in the next lane over and mostly next to me which causes it to brake when it doesn't need to brake. THIS is annoying.