Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adjusting Rear Trunk Opening Height

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
During the work week, our X is backed into a parking garage spot with a pipe hanging over the rear trunk lid. If not stopped, the rear trunk will open until the spoiler hits the pipe, risking damage to the spoiler.

We can restrict the rear trunk opening by pushing it manually to a safe height and then holding down the close button on the rear hatch to save that setting.

And that fixes the hatch for that location.

Unfortunately, that means the hatch will only open half way everywhere else - requiring us to manually open the hatch to full height most of the time.

Has anyone been able to set different rear trunk opening heights for multiple locations? Or have it open only partway at one location and fully at all other locations?

I have the opposite problem kind of. My garage is tall enough to open fully, but the hatch only opens half way (I think because the FWD see the garage door opener and couldn't open fully). Anyway, I tried to raise the hatch all the way, then hold down the close button, but now my hatch is only opening halfway everywhere...

Tesla responded and claimed there are sensors to prevent the rear hatch from hitting anything.

There appears to be a sensor above the FWD - which will prevent them from fully opening when there is an obstruction over the center of the car.

Not clear there are sensors specifically protecting the rear hatch. And if there is - they aren't working in our car, since the spoiler hit the pipe above the rear hatch in my wife's office parking spot.

My response to Tesla was that this isn't working and if it is supposed to work, they should send a mobile service van to check the vehicle in the office garage to verify the hardware/software is properly detecting the overhead pipe - and getting the hatch to stop correctly.

I had asked this question before purchasing one myself. My understanding is that you can only set one height for the car. So if you set it to be lower than max height, it will always only open to that height. It is not possible to set two different heights, so you're kind of stuck picking the better of two inconveniences.

I had asked this question before purchasing one myself. My understanding is that you can only set one height for the car. So if you set it to be lower than max height, it will always only open to that height. It is not possible to set two different heights, so you're kind of stuck picking the better of two inconveniences.
Do you know how to reset it to higher? It bumped my head couple of times. I tried manually lift to the height I want and hold the button and hear the beep, but seem now working, it still go to the same height. I was at Parking lot, so all clear for the sensor