Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adjusting without CarPlay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The OP wrote "After having wireless CarPlay for the past two years, getting my phone out of my pocket to do something in my car seems archaic. Please give me advice if you have any, currently I feel like this is a dealbreaker." It seemed to me that the OP left the door open to other means of controlling their iPhone. The Amazon Alexa app does let you control your iPhone including: audio playback; navigation and calling. The Alexa app just happens to do this via voice commands. The OP said nothing about desiring a touch screen interface experience, only that they did not like having to take out their phone.

Maybe I have not spent enough time exploring Apple Siri shortcuts. I use Siri to place calls on my iPhone. I have not been able to get Siri to play TuneIn radio (not TuneIn premium.) So with my phone locked, I asked Siri to play Audible. Siri responded that I need to unlock my iPhone first. I had to pick up my iPhone and use Touch Id to unlock my IPhone, something I don't want to do while driving. (With the Alexa app running I don't need to unlock my phone so that Alexa can play: Apple Music Library, Amazon Music, TuneIn, Audible, Spotify, Pandora, IHeartRadio or read me books from my Kindle Library (I know, it's part of the Amazon ecosystem but it just works, no effort required.)

In a moving Tesla vehicle I'm not sure if my iPhone, having been placed on the wireless charging pad, would wake up if I said "Hey Siri." With the Echo Auto microphone array installed the Alexa app hears me when I speak an Alexa command almost every time, even over road noise and any audio program that is playing.

Siri will call TuneIn without Shortcuts (I just checked, I don't use Tunein, had to install it) As for Siri needing to be unlocked, I always have Waze or Apple Maps opened, this allow the device to remain unlock and always on. I believe you can do that with the Alexa App too. I haven't tried that but I'm pretty sure I can use Alexa without the microphone array, I could be wrong tho.

Shortcuts is very powerful. check out the things it can do with Tesla App, even better if you have Apple watch:

dburkland/tesla_ios_shortcuts

Where do you keep the Alexa auto anyways? in the phone charger dock? Would it stay in the vent?

Siri will call TuneIn without Shortcuts (I just checked, I don't use Tunein, had to install it) As for Siri needing to be unlocked, I always have Waze or Apple Maps opened, this allow the device to remain unlock and always on. I believe you can do that with the Alexa App too. I haven't tried that but I'm pretty sure I can use Alexa without the microphone array, I could be wrong tho.

Shortcuts is very powerful. check out the things it can do with Tesla App, even better if you have Apple watch:

dburkland/tesla_ios_shortcuts

Where do you keep the Alexa auto anyways? in the phone charger dock? Would it stay in the vent?
Thanks, I will look at the shortcuts. The Echo Auto kit comes with a vent mount that holds the main unit using a magnet or if you are not decided on a permanent location, like me, you can just place the Echo Auto on top of the center console. (The vent mount in the Echo Auto kit probably cannot be used with the long dash vent in the Model 3, Model Y.) The Echo Auto is so small (about the size of a garage door opener), that it fits underneath the front edge of the armrest when the armrest is lowered. This is close to, but not inside, the center console where the Echo Auto 12V power adapter plugs into the Tesla 12V Accessory port. (Some Echo Auto users report they leave the device inside the tray in the center console (or even underneath the tray) and the microphones can hear their voice commands even when the armrest is down. If you place the Echo Auto in the tray then a small hole has to be made in the tray for the USB cable to pass through for powering the Echo Auto. There are two buttons, one turns off the microphones and the other to activate BT syncing the first time you plug in the device, unless you want to turn off the microphones so the Echo Auto stops listening you don't need to touch the Echo Auto once you set it up.

Last edited:
I've had my MY for just under 3 months and I still miss CarPlay almost every time I drive. I use it to listen to podcasts, music, navigate with maps, send and read text messages and occasionally make phone calls. Yes you can use BT to play music, etc from your phone, but it is NOT a substitute.

Tesla's navigation system is quite good - It varies somewhat from Apple Maps, but I don't know you can say one is better than the other. The nice thing about Apple Maps is it automatically remembers contacts and other information, making entering destinations easier. Of course Tesla's will calculate battery use and show supercharger locations, and the larger screen is nice.

As others have mentioned, CarPlay is not just apple maps or apple music and is more than a simple BT connection. I can play text messages in my MY easily enough, but not reply to them easily, and not without breaking local laws. Using voice to compose new messages is also very easy.

I have a subscription to AppleMusic and have playlists already in my phone that I use at home with BT speakers; why should I have to pay for another subscription to Spotify? Or buy something from Amazon (I avoid them like the plague, anyway.) I've set up the TuneIn app in my MY the best I can, but let's be honest - the TuneIn interface SUCKS! TuneIn routinely forgets which podcast I was listening to and where I was in the podcast. It's also difficult to browse your library with it, and importantly for someone who uses more than one car, it's inconsistent.

The lack of CarPlay/Android Auto is one of the biggest fails for Tesla, IMO and there is no reason they couldn't implement it using the right half of the screen. I love my MY but the absence of CarPlay is enough to make me consider a different make for my next purchase.

The lack of CarPlay/Android Auto is one of the biggest fails for Tesla, IMO and there is no reason they couldn't implement it using the right half of the screen. I love my MY but the absence of CarPlay is enough to make me consider a different make for my next purchase.

I believe this has to do with vehicle driving data collection by Apple's carplay. I recall Apple has started either autonomous driving program or something similar.... Even if that's not the case, Tesla is never one to outsource their software, they pretty much try to vertically integrate everything themselves.

Tesla will not support Apple Carplay / Android Auto because they love proprietary solutions. They may have the best proprietary nav, but every other car brand switched to the phone standard interfaces. Europe only has CCS standard charging because forced by regulators, but we still have the Tesla proprietary 'lightning connector.' There is no good excuse for this when Tesla already supports Neflix and other third party streaming apps with their proprietary nav.

My iPhone automatically connects to the BT in the car about 50% of the time. I listen to podcasts in the car and the TuneIn player is unusable since it doesn't remember where you left off or support playlists. So I am stuck using BT and playing podcasts from my phone.

Lack of Carplay has me on the wait list for an ID.4. I need an AWD EV and Tesla has been the cheapest option. About this time next year, VW, Audi, Nissan, and maybe others will give Tesla some real competition that may get them in line with the industry. If Tesla starts supporting Carplay, I would probably cancel my ID.4 reservation.

Last edited:
I believe this has to do with vehicle driving data collection by Apple's carplay. I recall Apple has started either autonomous driving program or something similar.... Even if that's not the case, Tesla is never one to outsource their software, they pretty much try to vertically integrate everything themselves.

I don’t know for sure what data CarPlay collects from an integrated OEM system, but whatever it collects is optional since CarPlay works perfectly on an aftermarket radio in our 9 year old odyssey.

All CarPlay does is essentially use the car’s display as an external touchscreen, not unlike connecting a touchscreen monitor to your computer. There’s nothing preventing Tesla from developing their own systems whether they allow CarPlay or not. (And if they were so focused on their own interface, maybe they could get something better than TuneIn?))

actually, as I think about it, I wonder if they are getting a royalty fee from TuneIn and/or Spotify that precludes them allowing CarPlay or android auto.

Reactions: cwerdna
I agree that the Carplay tracking argument doesn't hold water. Your phone tracks you and that is where Carplay runs. When in Carplay mode, the head unit is just a display and touchscreen with your phone doing all the work. Maybe Apple has a setting for privacy since that's their thing.

Basically, Tesla wants everyone on a $10/month subscription even though your phone already has data and all the media options you need. That subscription will soon expand to include FSD and other features billed monthly. Acceleration boost not worth $2K, how about $25/month? I understand why they want that, but I have enough monthly charges bleeding out my bank account. Their dream is to have you paying as much as possible monthly.

I will stick with one data plan on my phone. Tesla could find a way to connect to that using their app or something, but they want you paying per month so you will be ready for more and more charges per month.

Reactions: timeshifter
The feature I REALLY miss is the rear cross traffic monitor. When backing out of a parking space with cars on either side, it's almost impossible to know if another car is driving by until you've backed out enough to see the cross traffic from the front seat. This, combined with the Model Y's poor rear visibility, makes for a real step backwards in safety compared to any other new car on the road today.
Safer to back into parking spaces, enabling good visibility when you pull out.

• Disagree
Reactions: tierneyalvin
Yes, Carplay is essentially a "display" Carplay doesn't track, your phone does. Carplay doesn't operate without your iphone correct?

What I meant was that Tesla might not want Apple to collect driving data, which is one of the most valuable data asset Tesla has over it's competitors. Tesla uses these data for AP/FSD modeling. so naturally it does not want to help it's competitors, especially Android Auto re Waymo.

Or it simply doesn't want to pay loyalty fees. BMW now charges monthly fee for Carplay, kind of ridiculous when cars like Mazda gives it away for "free"

I am currently in an overnight test drive with a Model Y, and I am having a hard time adjusting without CarPlay. I have wireless CarPlay in my current car when I start my car it plays, I stop and run in a store, return and it resumes were I was automatically. Is this possible with the Y? After having wireless CarPlay for the past two years, getting my phone out of my pocket to do something in my car seems archaic. Please give me advice if you have any, currently I feel like this is a dealbreaker.

Hmm CarPlay is great and I miss it in my Tesla .. but come on now, deal breaker? You would give up all the amazing tech and features cause you had to push a few extra buttons on the car to restart music playing? And you dont have to push any phone buttons (at least not on my phone) .. its just a matter of a few taps on the M3 touch screen .. my phone stays in my pocket.

Reactions: Kofther
What I meant was that Tesla might not want Apple to collect driving data, which is one of the most valuable data asset Tesla has over it's competitors. Tesla uses these data for AP/FSD modeling. so naturally it does not want to help it's competitors, especially Android Auto re Waymo.

Or it simply doesn't want to pay loyalty fees. BMW now charges monthly fee for Carplay, kind of ridiculous when cars like Mazda gives it away for "free"

Apple don't collect driving data, at least not for sale (they collect it for predictive map purposes, but they do that anyway .. why do you think the phone needs to connect to the car to do that? Also, Apply dont charge fees to manufacturers for CarPlay ... that BMW thing was just a money-grab by BMW.

Basically, Tesla wants everyone on a $10/month subscription even though your phone already has data and all the media options you need.
Well, to some extent I can understand this. The cellular connection that Teslas use costs money and the basic service doesn’t have a fee, so Tesla is eating that cost if you don’t upgrade. Most other companies charge for even the basic service that Tesla offers.

Hmm CarPlay is great and I miss it in my Tesla .. but come on now, deal breaker? You would give up all the amazing tech and features cause you had to push a few extra buttons on the car to restart music playing? And you dont have to push any phone buttons (at least not on my phone) .. its just a matter of a few taps on the M3 touch screen .. my phone stays in my pocket.

maybe I’m missing something, but the ‘few taps’ doesn’t have anywhere near the functionally of CarPlay. I can’t even pull up a list of podcasts on my phone like I can with other BT systems.

I look at it like this: CarPlay is something I use almost every time I drive the car, far more often than other things like the headlights or wipers, so the lack of a decent infotainment system is an annoyance every time I drive the car. Teslas are great cars, but there are other great cars out there that do have CarPlay, so why should I be inconvenienced every time I drive just for the privilege of driving a Tesla? After paying $65k for a car I shouldn’t need to compromise, especially for something that is imminently fixable with a software update.

Well, to some extent I can understand this. The cellular connection that Teslas use costs money and the basic service doesn’t have a fee, so Tesla is eating that cost if you don’t upgrade. Most other companies charge for even the basic service that Tesla offers.

maybe I’m missing something, but the ‘few taps’ doesn’t have anywhere near the functionally of CarPlay. I can’t even pull up a list of podcasts on my phone like I can with other BT systems.

I look at it like this: CarPlay is something I use almost every time I drive the car, far more often than other things like the headlights or wipers, so the lack of a decent infotainment system is an annoyance every time I drive the car. Teslas are great cars, but there are other great cars out there that do have CarPlay, so why should I be inconvenienced every time I drive just for the privilege of driving a Tesla? After paying $65k for a car I shouldn’t need to compromise, especially for something that is imminently fixable with a software update.

I agree that Tesla should do a CarPlay update.

There are actually no other car companies that offer over the air updates except some pilot programs.

But please, enlighten us on these other great cars that have Car play, are Electric, and have a range over 250 miles, have AP, have fast acceleration, and pretty much any other feature a Tesla has.

I first used CarPlay in my 2017 Chevrolet Volt. Most of the time I used CarPlay when commuting or taking a drive of ~1 hour or longer, when I would use Apple Maps for navigation and traffic updates (CarPlay eventually added the ability to use Google Maps and Waze.) I found that for local driving I was fine using BT audio streaming of music from the iPhone.

CarPlay worked well for placing and answering phone calls. The text message feature was helpful; reading aloud received text messages and being able to reply to text messages by voice. CarPlay also worked well with my iTunes music library, Amazon Music, Audible, Pandora and Spotify

In the Tesla Model Y I use wireless charging for my iPhone SE2. Unless wireless CarPlay becomes available on the Model Y I would not want to have to plug in every time just to use CarPlay.

That is true for ICE cars, but every EV I have bought has basic cellular connectivity like Tesla's free tier. This includes the LEAF and Bolt at least.

But please, enlighten us on these other great cars that have Car play, are Electric, and have a range over 250 miles, have AP, have fast acceleration, and pretty much any other feature a Tesla has.

There are a half dozen options. Many EVs have really good electronics packages including adaptive cruise, some sort of lane keeping, emergency braking, cross-traffic alerts, actual blind-spot warnings on the side view mirrors. All EVs have instant torque off the line like Tesla. The 250 miles thing is where most other cars land, but they do different EPA testing than Tesla does so the measure of miles is not a great one. Specifically, Ford and VW qualify. They also have heated steering wheels, a central instrument cluster, third party service providers, and other things Tesla doesn't have.

That is true for ICE cars, but every EV I have bought has basic cellular connectivity like Tesla's free tier. This includes the LEAF and Bolt at least.

There are a half dozen options. Many EVs have really good electronics packages including adaptive cruise, some sort of lane keeping, emergency braking, cross-traffic alerts, actual blind-spot warnings on the side view mirrors. All EVs have instant torque off the line like Tesla. The 250 miles thing is where most other cars land, but they do different EPA testing than Tesla does so the measure of miles is not a great one. Specifically, Ford and VW qualify. They also have heated steering wheels, a central instrument cluster, third party service providers, and other things Tesla doesn't have.

Clearly you should keep your Tesla order, because baiting people on this forum is obviously a sport for you! (Teslaquila quote) ;)

Seriously. Because you already have a Bolt, already have a I.D.4 on order, are building two other electric cars, and you have made electric vehicles a passion. I think you are getting a lot of conflicting reactions from people because your objection is very . . . . taste specific. But of course, people here at TMC are all about 1st World problems like yours!

Please let us know on this forum about the I.D.4! I am personally very excited about Volkswagen and their dedication to electric vehicles. My read was that the I.D.4's interior and build materials seemed kind of flimsy, but I was only able to see the touring example when it came to Seattle.

I would love to see Tesla add CarPlay because I think for many people it would be a great benefit, but I've also been just fine using BT on my phone for both music and podcasts.

It connects every time, plays where I left off, has good quality... I have podcast playlists set up in Overcast so if an episode ends and I want to listen to the next item in my queue I just have to hit the "play" button on my scroll wheel and it starts. If I need to skip ahead 15 seconds or pause, the wheel buttons do that too. The only time I need to interact with my phone directly is if I want to switch between podcasts and music, but I set up a Siri shortcut to do that so I don't need to pull the phone out of my pocket to do it.

The other hesitation I'd have about CarPlay comes from the different navigation options. I wonder if people would get confused now that there are multiple ways to navigate to a destination? The Tesla nav does a lot more than just directions, it does charger routing, pre-conditioning when you're going to a charger, and eventually with FSD that's how the entire system works. Maybe people would understand the difference and it's not a big deal, but how many wouldn't realize they're losing out on those extra features by not using the built-in nav? Who is going to be pissed when Apple Maps leads you outside of your battery range and you don't know it? Just food for thought.

And that's fine, if CarPlay is that important then you will probably need to cross Tesla off your list. CarPlay integration is somewhat more complex for Tesla than other car makers, since CarPlay tends to be all-or-nothing; it takes over the display screen etc. Since Tesla rely on this screen for some basic car functions, adding CarPlay would require a lot of finesse and juggling between which bits are CarPlay and which bits are till the Tesla stack .. not easy at all. Yes, it could do done, but I suspect given the integration effort it's low on Tesla's list.

Reactions: hcdavis3