Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance troubles May 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DL are an unreliable mess right now. Because their claims costs were higher than their income, they are chopping and changing their offerings. I sold my MY performance and they refused to accept a 2008 Skoda as a change of vehicle. For me, the precarious insurance situation is keeping me out of Teslas right now.
When I sell up I doubt I’ll get a Tesla to replace my M3P if the insurance isn’t more reasonable. While I was searching for this year’s policy I tried an EV6 GT and BMW i4 and both were considerably cheaper to insure despite having similar list prices.

I sold my MY performance and they refused to accept a 2008 Skoda as a change of vehicle. For me, the precarious insurance situation is keeping me out of Teslas right now.
What?! is the skoda more risk?
When I sell up I doubt I’ll get a Tesla to replace my M3P if the insurance isn’t more reasonable. While I was searching for this year’s policy I tried an EV6 GT and BMW i4 and both were considerably cheaper to insure despite having similar list prices.
Yes but it not all about list price. The M3P has the most performance and has been around the longest for their data collection/analysis... The other two are just a "punt"

In the case of Tesla, I believe the insurance costs has mostly to do with writing off the cars at the first minor damage due to the poor reparability, delays & cost for spare parts, rather than theft.

It's not gonna improve with 4680 and structural battery packs. Tesla will be bringing the cost of their cars down, but they'll be completely irreparable and you'll have to get a replacement after an accident. The iPhone of cars.
So much for sustainability...

Reactions: Durzel
In the case of Tesla, I believe the insurance costs has mostly to do with writing off the cars at the first minor damage due to the poor reparability, delays & cost for spare parts, rather than theft.

It's not gonna improve with 4680 and structural battery packs. Tesla will be bringing the cost of their cars down, but they'll be completely irreparable and you'll have to get a replacement after an accident. The iPhone of cars.
So much for sustainability...
I’ve also thought the same that they make them cheaper to make but more to insure due to more often than not being write off. It won’t help their sales when people realise they cannot insure one for reasonable money.

Jun 23, MYLR for £499 with Admiral, 10k miles. Up from £397 last year.

It’s the bloomin repair costs and delays crippling us. Either Tesla need to up the supply of parts or it’ll become ridiculous.

Makes me wonder if they have a mid term plan to enter the UK insurance marker themselves, like a night in shining armour…..

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Whatever it is and whatever anyone may tell you it is ultimately about taking our money and there's nothing we can do about it sadly.
I'm sure an 'expert' on here will give you their well founded reason (read opinion).

It sucks and yes I've just got a £1k quote too up from my £276 last year (which was a complete fluke so looking forward to how they're going to justify any increase this coming year come renewal time...)

Wife broke a headlamp last week due to a bird strike, lucky only the headlight and no other damage and cost £1300 to fix. Excess for her was £1200 so not worth the hassle. Another lump to stump up.

Insurance nowadays is purely to allow you to drive the car legally, most claims are probably avoided and settled outside with NCB not worth the paper it's written on as policies now state increases may occur regardless. Another scam IMO.

Jun 23, MYLR for £499 with Admiral, 10k miles. Up from £397 last year.

It’s the bloomin repair costs and delays crippling us. Either Tesla need to up the supply of parts or it’ll become ridiculous.

Makes me wonder if they have a mid term plan to enter the UK insurance marker themselves, like a night in shining armour…..
I'd kill for a renewal of £499. Mine is more than double that, with LV=

My M3P insurance with Novo had gone up year on year since getting the car, despite accruing an additional year NCD (I have 15 years already so not sure it even makes a difference at this point) at each renewal. They've been apologetic but it's a case of it is what it is.

As remarked already I think it's more a case of the consequential costs with repairing Teslas - it takes ages to get mundane parts, which means extra expenditure on hire cars, etc.

Reactions: Lord Farquad