Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice for buying a P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, Cage, you are in Norway. I missed that before. Are these cars already in Norway?

If the new black one has dropped in price from $145,500 to $126,500 in the 10 days since the order, have you checked to see what has happened to the price of the silver one?

The build dates might be worth checking. The body colored roof is no longer available. More recently they've done away with leather.

There is a "Wayback Machine" on the Internet. That project is making an ongoing archive of the entire Internet, With the Wayback, you can visit sites as they were in times past.

We used it when my sister lost her fairly extensive website. An employee of hers somehow had write access at the hosting site and unintentionally overwrote the main page with something functionally blank. The host wasn't helpful, host backups weren't employed. She had hopelessly disorganized page backups. Anyway, the Wayback Machine allowed me to explore the website as it had been and capture all the pages and links, then reconstruct the site pretty much without losing anything.

That Wayback Machine may allow you to explore Tesla configurations as they were available in the past. It may not, though. It will only archive all pages viewable to web crawling robots. If the sites pull data from unreachable sites, then it probably won't work. It's worth a try if there's something you need to check. You'll have the car serial numbers, with those you can find the approximate build dates, then it's just a matter of Waybacking to see what creative things the marketing division were claiming at the time. Or you could look at similar timed posts on this site. Every time there is a change there is a discussion about it.

If the car is in Norway and if you aren't too far from the car location, you might ge able to have the car prepped on site then go pick it up and drive it home. That can shorten your wait from weeks to a few days. I think that also eliminates shipping costs. It is an option here, or it was when I was looking at Tesla inventory cars.

First of all - option # 2 is no longer available. Someone probably bought the car.

Regarding pricing on option # 1, here's my take on it. On the My Spec-page the total cost of the car is $170.000. Then there's a showroom discount of $24.000 for a new total of $146.000. This is wrong I think, and should not be listed.

Now I've also been given an adjusted price reduction. First it was around $14.000. The new correct total would then be $156.000, which is around the same as an identical car would cost me if I designed it myself today. After August 1 I got a new adjusted price reduction of about $5000. I assume this is also correct, which should make the total cost of my car $151.000. This is $5000 more than the price I was given when I placed the order. I expect I will either be allowed to cancel the order and get my deposit back or they will offer me the car for the original price of $146.000.

I don't understand how they make these errors. We are buying a very expensive product, the least we should expect is that the information given on their webpage is correct.

TL;DR
I will buy the P100D # 1 if they sell it to me for the initial agreed price. P100D # 2 has been sold to someone else. I'm not mightily impressed with Tesla's information regarding their inventory cars.

If the final price is just $5k off the new order price, I'd probably opt for the new order and get the exact configuration, color, and roof you want, instead of the car someone else wanted. Plus you'll get the latest build. It'll be all shiny, and it'll just be shipped once, and it'll have that big glass roof. I like my big glass roof.

That price seems muddled to me. There was talk of $30K off some inventory configurations. When the car arrives, they'll have an exact price for you. I don't think there is any sort of negotiation, it's a take it or leave it thing, so anything up to that point doesn't matter any more. And I get the idea that if there is a mixup over price and you don't end up with that car, the nonrefundable deposit might not be quite as nonrefundable as they say. So how did you arrive at that $126,500 number?

I just went to the configuration page, with 19" wheels, no FSD, and about everything else I get a price of $142,700. I don't think I can get it up into the $170K range. Are prices higher in Norway?

I took a check made out to the cent when I picked up my car. Did they give you an estimated delivery date?

Last edited:
I'll break it down quick.

A = 1.322.000 NOK = $170.000 (total price of vehicle as listed in My Spec without any discounts)

B = 1.206.000 NOK = $155.000 (total price of an identical new vehicle if designed today)

C = 1.211.000 NOK = $156.000 (probably the price that should have been listed when I placed the order, this is A minus F)

D = 1.137.000 NOK = $146.300 (price listed when ordered, A minus E)

E = 185.000 NOK = $23.800 (showroom discount listed when ordered, probably an error)

F = 111.000 NOK = $14.300 (first adjusted price reduction, would make the car cost almost the same as an identical vehicle designed today)

G = 1.126.000 NOK = $145.000 (price given on My Spec after first adjusted price reduction, includes the showroom discount. A minus (E+F) )

H = 152.000 NOK = $19.500 (total price reduction right now, I suppose the added $5.200 of price reduction came around August 1 and is given to all P100Ds)

I = 985.000 NOK = $127.000 (total price on My Spec right now, A minus (E+H) )

Numbers rounded up/down randomly. The referral discount is not included here.

This is my car;
Obsidian Black Metallic
Sunroof
21" grey wheels
All interiors cost the same
P100D
Enhanced Autopilot

In the configurator I get a total price equalling B above.

Last edited:
I'll break it down quick.

A = 1.322.000 NOK = $170.000 (total price of vehicle as listed in My Spec without any discounts)

B = 1.206.000 NOK = $155.000 (total price of an identical new vehicle if designed today)

C = 1.211.000 NOK = $156.000 (probably the price that should have been listed when I placed the order, this is A minus F)

D = 1.137.000 NOK = $146.300 (price listed when ordered, A minus E)

E = 185.000 NOK = $23.800 (showroom discount listed when ordered, probably an error)

F = 111.000 NOK = $14.300 (first adjusted price reduction, would make the car cost almost the same as an identical vehicle designed today)

G = 1.126.000 NOK = $145.000 (price given on My Spec after first adjusted price reduction, includes the showroom discount. A minus (E+F) )

H = 152.000 NOK = $19.500 (total price reduction right now, I suppose the added $5.200 of price reduction came around August 1 and is given to all P100Ds)

I = 985.000 NOK = $127.000 (total price on My Spec right now, A minus (E+H) )

Numbers rounded up/down randomly. The referral discount is not included here.

This is my car;
Obsidian Black Metallic
Sunroof
21" grey wheels
All interiors cost the same
P100D
Enhanced Autopilot

In the configurator I get a total price equalling B above.

It seems to me that the Tesla quote should be the valid price. Forgive me but "MySpec" is the official Tesla site, right? I tried to configure an inventory car on the Tesla site but there aren't any available. I can't find a Tesla page with MySpec on it even looking back at pages captured from my order and build. Anyway your order on Tesla's site should give you the exact specifications for the car and a price breakdown. If it specifically shows the $127K or the 985.000 NOK, then I'd assume that is the price you'll pay for the car.

It'll be interesting to see if that is correct. Do you have an expected delivery date?

Screenshot_20170906-185701.png
Screenshot_20170906-185633.png
Screenshot_20170906-185647.png

Honestly it looks like the 976.930 NOK is the current price, without the taxes recycling fee, etc. it looks to me as if the difference from the original contract is the 152.000 NOK, or $19,497.24 So I think you'll be to the good by the 152,000 NOK from the original agreed price. You'll know in another 12 days.

I cannot think of a more likely explanation for what Tesla has provided you. You got the healthy showroom discount and now another price reduction on top of it since. It's a good thing you didn't buy it 3 weeks earlier.

And I think that is consistent with the big discounts people have been discussing for the inventory cars. I think you'll do well, my friend.

The thing is that Tesla sales people are telling me that they usually don't give any showroom discounts on brand new vehicles. This is a car someone designed and ordered, and then for some reason withdrew from the deal before the vehicle reached Norway. It has a high VIN-number (well above 200000).

Another thing is that on Tesla's Norwegian inventory-page most cars priced around 970K-1,1 mill NOK has been driven 6000+ miles.

I guess I can do nothing but wait and see. I hate not knowing. I truly hope you are right

I think it is likely in their database as a discountable car and the updates are automatically sent. There is probably no reason for them to go back into their database and make changes. I'd quietly wait for the car to arrive. If it is truly $19,497.24 cheaper than the contracted price, I'll open a bottle of beer here, you open one there and we'll drink to your good fortune. If there is beer left we'll drink to reindeer. Then those strange little lemmings. And hummingbirds.

IMG_5348.JPG

The thing is that Tesla sales people are telling me that they usually don't give any showroom discounts on brand new vehicles. This is a car someone designed and ordered, and then for some reason withdrew from the deal before the vehicle reached Norway. It has a high VIN-number (well above 200000).

Another thing is that on Tesla's Norwegian inventory-page most cars priced around 970K-1,1 mill NOK has been driven 6000+ miles.

I guess I can do nothing but wait and see. I hate not knowing. I truly hope you are right

I also bought an Inventory P100D here in Norway, fully speced out minus the 7 seats, mine has been driven about 6500 miles and I have not gotten any additional discounts since Final Invoice last Thursday, price 1.028.000 NOK. If you end up actually getting that price for a brand new you you've gotten yourself the deal of the century, and all the sudden my deal doesn't seem quite as sweet :p

Last edited:
It's sort of impossible to get any good answers from anybody at Tesla. They've made a case on this, and are waiting for someone in the Netherlands to look at it. I will let you know as soon as I get any sort of sensible answer.

The car is supposed to arrive at my local service center on Monday, and expected delivery is next Monday.

I will happily drink a beer with you. If this goes to hell we can depressively drink a beer together instead. At least there is beer.