Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on Boston to Washington, DC trip, please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive from CT to NJ and Philadelphia all the time. The Cross County/Saw Mill/Henry Hudson is the best route to the bridge. I am REALLY cheap so I do check traffic on the Major Deagan ramps to I-95, and if they are not "red" on the traffic display I'll risk it. Saves the toll on the Henry Hudson Bridge. When with the family, I will almost always go the Henry Hudson though - toll is cheaper than listening to the complaints.

I also suggest I-90 to I-84 to I-91. Then get off on Wilbur Cross to Merritt Parkway down to exit 38 in New Canaan. Route 123 South to Route 7 South, to I-95 South to Darien Supercharger. I like that better than I-91 to I-95. Parkway is a much nicer drive, and eventually when they open the rumored Greenwich supercharger on the parkway you can avoid I-95 completely. Just stay on Merritt to Hutchinson Parkway right to the Cross County.

I've been to all 5 superchargers (Darien N and S, Milford N and S, and Delaware). My suggestion is bring your own food. :)

Hi, @Tslagrl,

Yeah... I think we're going to pack food, as you do. Probably in combination with letting the kids out to attack some of the fast food joints, as that's one of the pleasures of the trip for them. Although I confess I'm thinking about Wilson's BBQ for myself. :)

Maybe there's a TMC meetup service in here somewhere. You indicate an approximate time, and a TMC member shows up with a picnic basket, sterling silver flatware, china and some roses in bud vases. Payment...???

Having just got back from Darien, this idea seems great :smile:. Or our very own Tesla cafe!
Northbound services were a zoo this evening. Long lines at every food outlet, except the Wilson's BBQ....NOONE! I was going to try it to test it out for you but the fact noone was ordering it put me off a bit.....like how long had the food been sitting there! Anyway home now, survived the junk food.
I learnt that altho there are 4 chargers in Darien northbound, two are in one spot, and two in another......just to confuse us. One of them was Out of Order this evening.
And also that some of the charging cables in Milford are really really short! Need to park right alongside the kerb or they won't reach the chargeport.
Other than that, great trip in an amazing car :smile:

Pollux,

If you have a smartphone, I would suggest getting the "waze" app, you can input your destination, and it will give you different routes, looking at the traffic at that exact time (as reported by other users running waze).. I would suggest you stop the navigation at each stop on the way, and start the navigation to the destination over as well, as it will look at the reported traffic at that moment.. It may suggest a better route based on traffic.. It tells you the distance, and estimated time, as well as showing you congestion along the route, usually it presents 3 choices to pick from. "Waze" was bought by Google, and perhaps someday it could be integrated into the Model S maps... Think of Waze as "social networking for traffic" :)

Mitch

@tes-s,

Thanks for the route advice! And the food advice. :)

I drive from CT to NJ and Philadelphia all the time. The Cross County/Saw Mill/Henry Hudson is the best route to the bridge. I am REALLY cheap so I do check traffic on the Major Deagan ramps to I-95, and if they are not "red" on the traffic display I'll risk it. Saves the toll on the Henry Hudson Bridge. When with the family, I will almost always go the Henry Hudson though - toll is cheaper than listening to the complaints.

I also suggest I-90 to I-84 to I-91. Then get off on Wilbur Cross to Merritt Parkway down to exit 38 in New Canaan. Route 123 South to Route 7 South, to I-95 South to Darien Supercharger. I like that better than I-91 to I-95. Parkway is a much nicer drive, and eventually when they open the rumored Greenwich supercharger on the parkway you can avoid I-95 completely. Just stay on Merritt to Hutchinson Parkway right to the Cross County.

I've been to all 5 superchargers (Darien N and S, Milford N and S, and Delaware). My suggestion is bring your own food. :)

- - - Updated - - -

@mitch672,

Cool! Thanks!

Pollux,

If you have a smartphone, I would suggest getting the "waze" app, you can input your destination, and it will give you different routes, looking at the traffic at that exact time (as reported by other users running waze).. I would suggest you stop the navigation at each stop on the way, and start the navigation to the destination over as well, as it will look at the reported traffic at that moment.. It may suggest a better route based on traffic.. It tells you the distance, and estimated time, as well as showing you congestion along the route, usually it presents 3 choices to pick from. "Waze" was bought by Google, and perhaps someday it could be integrated into the Model S maps... Think of Waze as "social networking for traffic" :)

Mitch

cinergi,

I just heard about your Boston to SC trip from Aaron. Are you going to live-stream or map-track like we did in February?

-Lanny

Not sure what I'd live stream that would be worth watching :) But I do have access to the TeslaRoadTrip twitter account and will use that to post info ... as for map-tracking and whatnot, I have a PM into PureAmps (only a few hours ago ... poor planning on my part). I should be leaving around 3-4 am EST.

- - - Updated - - -

Gonna start a new thread in the top-level Model S forum to cover the trip.