Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on charging options from Naples to Key West

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW: whenever I stay at a hotel my car usually draws a buzz from the doormen to the desk to the manager and I always make it a point to talk up the benefits of installing not only a Tesla HPWC but a generic J1772 that other EVs can use. Many hotels have installed both.
from what I understand the hotels need to hear requests from many EV drivers in order for them to justify the installation of these units, so please in your travels take a minute or two to grab a managers ear and either thank him for having a charger or letting him know that installing a charger will attract many more "affluent" Tesla owners to their properties.

Yes, each prospective hotel location is a unique negotiation and the Tesla Destination Charging Program team recognizes the value of occasionally donating J1772 chargers as part of the inducement for a qualifying destination to accept HPWCs. It is important to note that for the most part the early adopters in the hotel industry for electric charging are the luxury hotels/resorts. I have occasion to deal with their general managers on a regular basis and it is not lost on them that owners of Teslas nicely fit their hotel/resort's target demographic. Some managers even know that Teslas are long-distance EVs and therefore they can attract Model Ss from across the state and even from other states by installing charging equipment.

When I discuss the value of adding chargers with general managers I like to emphasize the powerful marketing value of being a member of the Tesla Destination Charging Program. I like to show these hotel decision-makers my navigation display. It displays, in distance order, all their competition that have already had the foresight to add HPWCs and as a result their establishments are programmed into the entire Tesla fleet of Model Ss and soon Model Xs.

Of course the cost of admission to the Destination Charging Program is to install an HPWC. If a destination has the resources to install generic chargers as well that is fine, but it is the HPWCs that gains a location admission to the program. I tell managers that even if a Tesla owner doesn't know that they have installed HPWCs, the car does, and at a push of the button the car will take the owner to the participating hotel/resort.

Larry

Last edited: