Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Father-Son, 12,000 Mile Road, 28-day Road Trip Across the USA in a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker, first time poster.

My son and I completed a 12,000 mile, 28 day road trip in July 2023. We did this in a 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance. Our route:

map.jpg

The full article is here: A Father-Son, 12,000 Mile EV Road Trip Across the USA. Here is the short version:

Intro​

I was recently laid off from my tech job, and decided to take the time to connect with my 12-year-old son. My son is interested in US history, geography, and is an EV enthusiast like myself. I thought the quintessential American road trip would be a great way to spend the time together. Ultimately, this is about my son and I doing what we love, given I have some time available.

We live in Los Angeles. The corner points of our route are:
  • San Diego, CA
  • Key West, FL
  • Northeastern Maine
  • Seattle, WA
We've road tripped in a Tesla before. During the pandemic, that was our preferred method of travel. We've clocked over 40,000 road trip miles in a Model 3 Standard Range in the last 3 years. (My son wants to shout out to Kyle at Out of Spec for the inspiration!)

The Car: A 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance

My daughter calls the blue 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance "Midnight". It has basic AutoPilot and HW4. It is stock except:
  • Swapped the 21” Uberturbines with 19” Gemini for better range and comfort
  • Custom wheel covers
  • Mud flaps
Midnight charging in Canada

Driving: Navigating the Miles

The trip was divided into 6 legs, ranging from 1000 - 3000 miles each leg.

Leg
Description
Start / End Points
Miles
1Coast to CoastLos Angeles, CA to Key West, FL3000
2Eastern SeaboardKey West, FL to New York City1500
3New England to French CanadaNew York City to Quebec, QC1000
4Across CanadaQuebec, QC to Winnipeg, MB2000
5Northwestern USWinnipeg, MB to Seattle, WA1500
6Western SeaboardSeattle, WA to Los Angeles, CA1500

We traveled between 400 - 600 miles each day, with some off days for exploration.

We used AutoPilot (AP) for about 70% of the trip, which completely transformed the road trip experience. Long haul driving was much more relaxed, and I can talk to my son with less distraction.

Efficiency was decent in the Model Y ranging between 275 - 300 W / mile, but not as good as my Model 3. I stayed within 70 - 75 mph for my highway miles. Efficiency plummets in the MYP after 75 mph, so I avoid speeding as much as possible.

Charging & Range: Supercharger network is great, no range anxiety, so-so costs

I used only the Supercharger network and public L2 chargers. We charge 2-3 times a day, maybe 1 more on long driving days. Each charge is between 10 - 20 minutes.

There was no range anxiety in the Tesla Model Y Performance. As most Tesla drivers already know: just set the destination, let the car figure out the charging stops, and go. The only times I had an issue was in North Dakota where 1) I sped and 2) I failed to follow the recommended route. There was also a time in North Carolina where a storm knocked out the power to the town's power grid (interestingly the gas stations in the town were down too). When power was restored in 20 minutes, the Supercharger came back online.

Without a doubt, it is easy to circumnavigate the US with a Tesla, today.

Personally, I don’t need a 500-mile range EV.
My body is the real limiting factor, since the car can travel 3 hours on the highway on a full charge. I need the restroom break, and my son gets restless after 2 hours. Marathon driving misses the point of a fun and relaxing road trip.

SuperCharging costs are significant. With some back-of-napkin math, I estimate the charging costs are comparable to fueling an efficient hybrid. I remember it used to be cheaper.

charging_stats.PNG

EV Camping: Fun and economical, but infrastructure is still evolving

EV camping is sleeping in the car, using the EV’s electric power to efficiently run the AC overnight to maintain temperature. Overnight, the car's screen keep my son entertained with YouTube, Netflix, and Disney+.

We camped in the car for 3 weeks, with no hotel stays. My son and I camped in the car for almost 11,000 miles. We stayed in a hotel after picking up my wife and daughter in the last leg in Seattle, with about 1,500 miles remaining on the trip. Even then, we managed to fit the 4 of us for a night of EV camping (albeit not comfortably). With EV camping, we eliminated hotel costs and reduced our travel budget by 60%, from $300 to $125 per day. We showered at truck stops, which were pleasant, convenient, and clean.

The biggest problem with EV camping is identifying good locations, they're really hit-or-miss. We’ve had good luck with parks and libraries. But some areas have poor public EV charging infrastructure (looking at you, Ottawa and Montana). There are even less locations for good EV camping.

My son and I developed a 20+ criteria system to rank charger locations for EV camping. These criteria include fundamental factors like charger functionality and good security, and extended to finer comfort amenities like trash cans, restrooms, and benches. When we found a good overnight charger, we saved $20 - $25 per day in charging costs and 30 minutes in visiting a charger. The general conclusion: the EV charging infrastructure is mature enough to ensure drivers are not stranded, but there are still not enough chargers with basic amenities fulfill the basic road trip experience.

We are far away from an infrastructure that provides a EV camping good experience. I would gladly pay $10+ for a great EV camp location, and would pay even more for food, supplies, and other amenities if available. It is more fun and better value proposition than a typical hotel stay.

Travel: not just about the driving, but seeing the country in a different way​

We made it a priority to explore the locales on the route. After all, America is a big country with a great mix of rural, urban, and suburban areas. Our trip was not just about clocking miles - it was also about connecting my son with everything this country has to offer. This has always been the spirit of the great American road trip. We’re simply updating the experience in an EV.

Some weird/interesting stuff we saw:
  • In Key West, we found a beautiful park where we had a relaxing breakfast cookout by the seashore
  • In Savannah, we ran into the park where Tom Hanks sat as Forrest Gump (sadly the bench is gone)
  • In DC, we randomly ran into the Transformers sculpture dispute next to Georgetown University
  • The drive from NYC to Boston looked boring and expensive with tolls, so we decided on a whim to take the scenic route into Albany through mid-state New York
  • On the Trans-Canadian highway, we found an unforgettably beautiful rest stop along Lake Superior where we dipped our toes in the water
  • While EV camping in Thunder Bay, ON, a thunderstorm passed overnight. There was lightning and thunder every 15 seconds for 30 minutes that lit up the night sky while rain poured on the car.
marathon_oceanfront_park.png
cookout.jpeg

In large cities such as NYC and DC, we used public transit instead of driving. Driving and parking in a city is slow and frustrating, and public transit works much better for urban exploration.

Final Thoughts: The great American road trip is viable and fun in an EV, and how father and son learned more about each other​

The EV is a viable and affordable way to experience the great American road trip, but the experience is still improving. With the mature Supercharger network and the convenience of AutoPilot, EVs bring a refreshing update to the quintessential American road trip experience. Without a doubt, it is possible to traverse the country in an EV today with minimal range anxiety. The EV camping infrastructure remains a work in progress but it has great potential.

Ultimately, this is about a father and son spending a month together doing what they love. I learned a lot about my son, such as his likes, dislikes, and his profound shyness around strangers. He was able to overcome that fear during the trip. It was rewarding, as a father, to see my son grow during the trip. I hope the conversations we had have provided my son an insight into his father’s life and personality. I also wish that this trip will resonate as one of the cherished and enduring memories my son carries of his father after I am gone.

Thank you, Tesla, for revolutionizing the auto industry and making this trip possible!

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. Again, the full article with pictures is here: A Father-Son, 12,000 Mile EV Road Trip Across the USA

My son and I completed a 12,000 mile, 28 day road trip in July 2023. We did this in a 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance. Our route:

View attachment 965631

The full article is here: A Father-Son, 12,000 Mile EV Road Trip Across the USA. Here is the short version:

Intro​

I was recently laid off from my tech job, and decided to take the time to connect with my 12-year-old son. My son is interested in US history, geography, and is an EV enthusiast like myself. I thought the quintessential American road trip would be a great way to spend the time together. Ultimately, this is about my son and I doing what we love, given I have some time available.

• San Diego, CA
  • Key West, FL
  • Northeastern Maine
  • Seattle, WA
We've road tripped in a Tesla before. During the pandemic, that was our preferred method of travel. We've clocked over 40,000 road trip miles in a Model 3 Standard Range in the last 3 years. (My son wants to shout out to Kyle at Out of Spec for the inspiration!)

My daughter calls the blue 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance "Midnight". It has basic AutoPilot and HW4. It is stock except:
  • Custom wheel covers
  • Mud flaps
View attachment 965636

Leg
Description
Start / End Points
Miles

We traveled between 400 - 600 miles each day, with some off days for exploration.

We used AutoPilot (AP) for about 70% of the trip, which completely transformed the road trip experience. Long haul driving was much more relaxed, and I can talk to my son with less distraction.

Efficiency was decent in the Model Y ranging between 275 - 300 W / mile, but not as good as my Model 3. I stayed within 70 - 75 mph for my highway miles. Efficiency plummets in the MYP after 75 mph, so I avoid speeding as much as possible.

I used only the Supercharger network and public L2 chargers. We charge 2-3 times a day, maybe 1 more on long driving days. Each charge is between 10 - 20 minutes.

There was no range anxiety in the Tesla Model Y Performance. As most Tesla drivers already know: just set the destination, let the car figure out the charging stops, and go. The only times I had an issue was in North Dakota where 1) I sped and 2) I failed to follow the recommended route. There was also a time in North Carolina where a storm knocked out the power to the town's power grid (interestingly the gas stations in the town were down too). When power was restored in 20 minutes, the Supercharger came back online.

My body is the real limiting factor, since the car can travel 3 hours on the highway on a full charge. I need the restroom break, and my son gets restless after 2 hours. Marathon driving misses the point of a fun and relaxing road trip.

SuperCharging costs are significant. With some back-of-napkin math, I estimate the charging costs are comparable to fueling an efficient hybrid. I remember it used to be cheaper.

View attachment 965650

EV camping is sleeping in the car, using the EV’s electric power to efficiently run the AC overnight to maintain temperature. Overnight, the car's screen keep my son entertained with YouTube, Netflix, and Disney+.

We camped in the car for 3 weeks, with no hotel stays. My son and I camped in the car for almost 11,000 miles. We stayed in a hotel after picking up my wife and daughter in the last leg in Seattle, with about 1,500 miles remaining on the trip. Even then, we managed to fit the 4 of us for a night of EV camping (albeit not comfortably). With EV camping, we eliminated hotel costs and reduced our travel budget by 60%, from $300 to $125 per day. We showered at truck stops, which were pleasant, convenient, and clean.

The biggest problem with EV camping is identifying good locations, they're really hit-or-miss. We’ve had good luck with parks and libraries. But some areas have poor public EV charging infrastructure (looking at you, Ottawa and Montana). There are even less locations for good EV camping.

My son and I developed a 20+ criteria system to rank charger locations for EV camping. These criteria include fundamental factors like charger functionality and good security, and extended to finer comfort amenities like trash cans, restrooms, and benches. When we found a good overnight charger, we saved $20 - $25 per day in charging costs and 30 minutes in visiting a charger. The general conclusion: the EV charging infrastructure is mature enough to ensure drivers are not stranded, but there are still not enough chargers with basic amenities fulfill the basic road trip experience.

We are far away from an infrastructure that provides a EV camping good experience. I would gladly pay $10+ for a great EV camp location, and would pay even more for food, supplies, and other amenities if available. It is more fun and better value proposition than a typical hotel stay.

We made it a priority to explore the locales on the route. After all, America is a big country with a great mix of rural, urban, and suburban areas. Our trip was not just about clocking miles - it was also about connecting my son with everything this country has to offer. This has always been the spirit of the great American road trip. We’re simply updating the experience in an EV.

• In Key West, we found a beautiful park where we had a relaxing breakfast cookout by the seashore
  • In Savannah, we ran into the park where Tom Hanks sat as Forrest Gump (sadly the bench is gone)
  • In DC, we randomly ran into the Transformers sculpture dispute next to Georgetown University
  • The drive from NYC to Boston looked boring and expensive with tolls, so we decided on a whim to take the scenic route into Albany through mid-state New York
  • On the Trans-Canadian highway, we found an unforgettably beautiful rest stop along Lake Superior where we dipped our toes in the water
  • While EV camping in Thunder Bay, ON, a thunderstorm passed overnight. There was lightning and thunder every 15 seconds for 30 minutes that lit up the night sky while rain poured on the car.
View attachment 965652 View attachment 965653

In large cities such as NYC and DC, we used public transit instead of driving. Driving and parking in a city is slow and frustrating, and public transit works much better for urban exploration.

Final Thoughts: The great American road trip is viable and fun in an EV, and how father and son learned more about each other​

The EV is a viable and affordable way to experience the great American road trip, but the experience is still improving. With the mature Supercharger network and the convenience of AutoPilot, EVs bring a refreshing update to the quintessential American road trip experience. Without a doubt, it is possible to traverse the country in an EV today with minimal range anxiety. The EV camping infrastructure remains a work in progress but it has great potential.

Ultimately, this is about a father and son spending a month together doing what they love. I learned a lot about my son, such as his likes, dislikes, and his profound shyness around strangers. He was able to overcome that fear during the trip. It was rewarding, as a father, to see my son grow during the trip. I hope the conversations we had have provided my son an insight into his father’s life and personality. I also wish that this trip will resonate as one of the cherished and enduring memories my son carries of his father after I am gone.

Thank you, Tesla, for revolutionizing the auto industry and making this trip possible!

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. Again, the full article with pictures is here: A Father-Son, 12,000 Mile EV Road Trip Across the USA
Well written. Thank you for sharing this.

View attachment 965631

Intro​

• San Diego, CA
  • Key West, FL
  • Northeastern Maine
  • Seattle, WA

• Custom wheel covers
  • Mud flaps
View attachment 965636

Leg
Description
Start / End Points
Miles

View attachment 965650

How much did you spent charging ?

How much did you spent charging ?
I downloaded my charging history. Over the 28 day period, it was:
  • 60 Supercharging sessions, across US and Canada
  • $720 in Supercharging fees
  • There are USD to CAD exchange fees, but I'll leave that calculation out
As mentioned, we were hyper-aggressive in leveraging free L2 charging as much as possible. I estimate we saved 30% (about $250) vs. we used only paid chargers.

As mentioned, we were hyper-aggressive in leveraging free L2 charging as much as possible. I estimate we saved 30% (about $250) vs. we used only paid chargers.
Is there a way to search for free L2 chargers?

Do you still have the 21’ wheels/tires? How much did you pay for the 19’ wheels and tires set up?

View attachment 965631

Intro​

• San Diego, CA
  • Key West, FL
  • Northeastern Maine
  • Seattle, WA

• Custom wheel covers
  • Mud flaps
View attachment 965636

Leg
Description
Start / End Points
Miles

View attachment 965650

Great memories made and thanks for the write-up!

Reactions: zoomer0056
This is a great post, thanks for sharing. Love the idea of EV Camping locations.....are there any locations in particular where you'd like to see these? Or where they would be most visited?
Thanks again for sharing!

Good EV camping locations depend on what I'm doing on the trip:
  • If I was trying to make the miles (like west Texas, or some stretches of Montana), I'd like the them to be conveniently off the highway.
  • If I want to visit cities or points of interest, I'd like them to be convenient enough to those points that I can sight see for the day, knowing my car is safe and charged. (For example, we found a great EV camping spot in the DC suburbs close to a MTA station)
As mentioned, there are 20+ factors we take in for EV camping spots. Convenient location for sure, and also security and working chargers. We also love locations with amenities like restrooms and food, and little things like trashcans and benches. Together, those make for a great location that I'd be happy to pay money to stay at, if they existed.

EV camping was really fun for my son, and was a refreshing experience compared to a hotel stay.