Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Father-Son, 12,000 Mile Road, 28-day Road Trip Across the USA in a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker, first time poster.

My son and I completed a 12,000 mile, 28 day road trip in July 2023. We did this in a 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance. Our route:

map.jpg

The full article is here: A Father-Son, 12,000 Mile EV Road Trip Across the USA. Here is the short version:

Intro​

I was recently laid off from my tech job, and decided to take the time to connect with my 12-year-old son. My son is interested in US history, geography, and is an EV enthusiast like myself. I thought the quintessential American road trip would be a great way to spend the time together. Ultimately, this is about my son and I doing what we love, given I have some time available.

We live in Los Angeles. The corner points of our route are:
  • San Diego, CA
  • Key West, FL
  • Northeastern Maine
  • Seattle, WA
We've road tripped in a Tesla before. During the pandemic, that was our preferred method of travel. We've clocked over 40,000 road trip miles in a Model 3 Standard Range in the last 3 years. (My son wants to shout out to Kyle at Out of Spec for the inspiration!)

The Car: A 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance

My daughter calls the blue 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance "Midnight". It has basic AutoPilot and HW4. It is stock except:
  • Swapped the 21” Uberturbines with 19” Gemini for better range and comfort
  • Custom wheel covers
  • Mud flaps
Midnight charging in Canada

Driving: Navigating the Miles

The trip was divided into 6 legs, ranging from 1000 - 3000 miles each leg.

Leg
Description
Start / End Points
Miles
1Coast to CoastLos Angeles, CA to Key West, FL3000
2Eastern SeaboardKey West, FL to New York City1500
3New England to French CanadaNew York City to Quebec, QC1000
4Across CanadaQuebec, QC to Winnipeg, MB2000
5Northwestern USWinnipeg, MB to Seattle, WA1500
6Western SeaboardSeattle, WA to Los Angeles, CA1500

We traveled between 400 - 600 miles each day, with some off days for exploration.

We used AutoPilot (AP) for about 70% of the trip, which completely transformed the road trip experience. Long haul driving was much more relaxed, and I can talk to my son with less distraction.

Efficiency was decent in the Model Y ranging between 275 - 300 W / mile, but not as good as my Model 3. I stayed within 70 - 75 mph for my highway miles. Efficiency plummets in the MYP after 75 mph, so I avoid speeding as much as possible.

Charging & Range: Supercharger network is great, no range anxiety, so-so costs

I used only the Supercharger network and public L2 chargers. We charge 2-3 times a day, maybe 1 more on long driving days. Each charge is between 10 - 20 minutes.

There was no range anxiety in the Tesla Model Y Performance. As most Tesla drivers already know: just set the destination, let the car figure out the charging stops, and go. The only times I had an issue was in North Dakota where 1) I sped and 2) I failed to follow the recommended route. There was also a time in North Carolina where a storm knocked out the power to the town's power grid (interestingly the gas stations in the town were down too). When power was restored in 20 minutes, the Supercharger came back online.

Without a doubt, it is easy to circumnavigate the US with a Tesla, today.

Personally, I don’t need a 500-mile range EV.
My body is the real limiting factor, since the car can travel 3 hours on the highway on a full charge. I need the restroom break, and my son gets restless after 2 hours. Marathon driving misses the point of a fun and relaxing road trip.

SuperCharging costs are significant. With some back-of-napkin math, I estimate the charging costs are comparable to fueling an efficient hybrid. I remember it used to be cheaper.

charging_stats.PNG

EV Camping: Fun and economical, but infrastructure is still evolving

EV camping is sleeping in the car, using the EV’s electric power to efficiently run the AC overnight to maintain temperature. Overnight, the car's screen keep my son entertained with YouTube, Netflix, and Disney+.

We camped in the car for 3 weeks, with no hotel stays. My son and I camped in the car for almost 11,000 miles. We stayed in a hotel after picking up my wife and daughter in the last leg in Seattle, with about 1,500 miles remaining on the trip. Even then, we managed to fit the 4 of us for a night of EV camping (albeit not comfortably). With EV camping, we eliminated hotel costs and reduced our travel budget by 60%, from $300 to $125 per day. We showered at truck stops, which were pleasant, convenient, and clean.

The biggest problem with EV camping is identifying good locations, they're really hit-or-miss. We’ve had good luck with parks and libraries. But some areas have poor public EV charging infrastructure (looking at you, Ottawa and Montana). There are even less locations for good EV camping.

My son and I developed a 20+ criteria system to rank charger locations for EV camping. These criteria include fundamental factors like charger functionality and good security, and extended to finer comfort amenities like trash cans, restrooms, and benches. When we found a good overnight charger, we saved $20 - $25 per day in charging costs and 30 minutes in visiting a charger. The general conclusion: the EV charging infrastructure is mature enough to ensure drivers are not stranded, but there are still not enough chargers with basic amenities fulfill the basic road trip experience.

We are far away from an infrastructure that provides a EV camping good experience. I would gladly pay $10+ for a great EV camp location, and would pay even more for food, supplies, and other amenities if available. It is more fun and better value proposition than a typical hotel stay.

Travel: not just about the driving, but seeing the country in a different way​

We made it a priority to explore the locales on the route. After all, America is a big country with a great mix of rural, urban, and suburban areas. Our trip was not just about clocking miles - it was also about connecting my son with everything this country has to offer. This has always been the spirit of the great American road trip. We’re simply updating the experience in an EV.

Some weird/interesting stuff we saw:
  • In Key West, we found a beautiful park where we had a relaxing breakfast cookout by the seashore
  • In Savannah, we ran into the park where Tom Hanks sat as Forrest Gump (sadly the bench is gone)
  • In DC, we randomly ran into the Transformers sculpture dispute next to Georgetown University
  • The drive from NYC to Boston looked boring and expensive with tolls, so we decided on a whim to take the scenic route into Albany through mid-state New York
  • On the Trans-Canadian highway, we found an unforgettably beautiful rest stop along Lake Superior where we dipped our toes in the water
  • While EV camping in Thunder Bay, ON, a thunderstorm passed overnight. There was lightning and thunder every 15 seconds for 30 minutes that lit up the night sky while rain poured on the car.
marathon_oceanfront_park.png
cookout.jpeg

In large cities such as NYC and DC, we used public transit instead of driving. Driving and parking in a city is slow and frustrating, and public transit works much better for urban exploration.

Final Thoughts: The great American road trip is viable and fun in an EV, and how father and son learned more about each other​

The EV is a viable and affordable way to experience the great American road trip, but the experience is still improving. With the mature Supercharger network and the convenience of AutoPilot, EVs bring a refreshing update to the quintessential American road trip experience. Without a doubt, it is possible to traverse the country in an EV today with minimal range anxiety. The EV camping infrastructure remains a work in progress but it has great potential.

Ultimately, this is about a father and son spending a month together doing what they love. I learned a lot about my son, such as his likes, dislikes, and his profound shyness around strangers. He was able to overcome that fear during the trip. It was rewarding, as a father, to see my son grow during the trip. I hope the conversations we had have provided my son an insight into his father’s life and personality. I also wish that this trip will resonate as one of the cherished and enduring memories my son carries of his father after I am gone.

Thank you, Tesla, for revolutionizing the auto industry and making this trip possible!

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. Again, the full article with pictures is here: A Father-Son, 12,000 Mile EV Road Trip Across the USA

Good EV camping locations depend on what I'm doing on the trip:
  • If I was trying to make the miles (like west Texas, or some stretches of Montana), I'd like the them to be conveniently off the highway.
  • If I want to visit cities or points of interest, I'd like them to be convenient enough to those points that I can sight see for the day, knowing my car is safe and charged. (For example, we found a great EV camping spot in the DC suburbs close to a MTA station)
As mentioned, there are 20+ factors we take in for EV camping spots. Convenient location for sure, and also security and working chargers. We also love locations with amenities like restrooms and food, and little things like trashcans and benches. Together, those make for a great location that I'd be happy to pay money to stay at, if they existed.

EV camping was really fun for my son, and was a refreshing experience compared to a hotel stay.
I wonder how long until sites like hipcamp have a filter for destination chargers!

Reactions: loccy
I bought my MY for driving across the country (New Hampshire <-> California) and just starting to read road trip reports. Thanks for yours. I've owned my MS for 10 years but never used nor needed the supercharger network. It is not a long range car. I'm quite the newbie at this level of Tesla ownership.

You said you used Autopilot; my understanding of AP is that it encompasses different levels - which did you use most? I'm having problems with phantom braking and "weird" braking that I would never do while driving. It is definitely not making driving relaxing. What issues, if any, did you have with autopilot? Any tips appreciated regarding AP. I will read your more detailed trip report as well.

Reactions: Zimo

My son and I completed a 12,000 mile, 28 day road trip in July 2023. We did this in a 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance. Our route:

View attachment 965631

The full article is here: A Father-Son, 12,000 Mile EV Road Trip Across the USA. Here is the short version:

Intro​

I was recently laid off from my tech job, and decided to take the time to connect with my 12-year-old son. My son is interested in US history, geography, and is an EV enthusiast like myself. I thought the quintessential American road trip would be a great way to spend the time together. Ultimately, this is about my son and I doing what we love, given I have some time available.

• San Diego, CA
  • Key West, FL
  • Northeastern Maine
  • Seattle, WA
We've road tripped in a Tesla before. During the pandemic, that was our preferred method of travel. We've clocked over 40,000 road trip miles in a Model 3 Standard Range in the last 3 years. (My son wants to shout out to Kyle at Out of Spec for the inspiration!)

My daughter calls the blue 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance "Midnight". It has basic AutoPilot and HW4. It is stock except:
  • Custom wheel covers
  • Mud flaps
View attachment 965636

Leg
Description
Start / End Points
Miles

We traveled between 400 - 600 miles each day, with some off days for exploration.

We used AutoPilot (AP) for about 70% of the trip, which completely transformed the road trip experience. Long haul driving was much more relaxed, and I can talk to my son with less distraction.

Efficiency was decent in the Model Y ranging between 275 - 300 W / mile, but not as good as my Model 3. I stayed within 70 - 75 mph for my highway miles. Efficiency plummets in the MYP after 75 mph, so I avoid speeding as much as possible.

I used only the Supercharger network and public L2 chargers. We charge 2-3 times a day, maybe 1 more on long driving days. Each charge is between 10 - 20 minutes.

There was no range anxiety in the Tesla Model Y Performance. As most Tesla drivers already know: just set the destination, let the car figure out the charging stops, and go. The only times I had an issue was in North Dakota where 1) I sped and 2) I failed to follow the recommended route. There was also a time in North Carolina where a storm knocked out the power to the town's power grid (interestingly the gas stations in the town were down too). When power was restored in 20 minutes, the Supercharger came back online.

My body is the real limiting factor, since the car can travel 3 hours on the highway on a full charge. I need the restroom break, and my son gets restless after 2 hours. Marathon driving misses the point of a fun and relaxing road trip.

SuperCharging costs are significant. With some back-of-napkin math, I estimate the charging costs are comparable to fueling an efficient hybrid. I remember it used to be cheaper.

View attachment 965650

EV camping is sleeping in the car, using the EV’s electric power to efficiently run the AC overnight to maintain temperature. Overnight, the car's screen keep my son entertained with YouTube, Netflix, and Disney+.

We camped in the car for 3 weeks, with no hotel stays. My son and I camped in the car for almost 11,000 miles. We stayed in a hotel after picking up my wife and daughter in the last leg in Seattle, with about 1,500 miles remaining on the trip. Even then, we managed to fit the 4 of us for a night of EV camping (albeit not comfortably). With EV camping, we eliminated hotel costs and reduced our travel budget by 60%, from $300 to $125 per day. We showered at truck stops, which were pleasant, convenient, and clean.

The biggest problem with EV camping is identifying good locations, they're really hit-or-miss. We’ve had good luck with parks and libraries. But some areas have poor public EV charging infrastructure (looking at you, Ottawa and Montana). There are even less locations for good EV camping.

My son and I developed a 20+ criteria system to rank charger locations for EV camping. These criteria include fundamental factors like charger functionality and good security, and extended to finer comfort amenities like trash cans, restrooms, and benches. When we found a good overnight charger, we saved $20 - $25 per day in charging costs and 30 minutes in visiting a charger. The general conclusion: the EV charging infrastructure is mature enough to ensure drivers are not stranded, but there are still not enough chargers with basic amenities fulfill the basic road trip experience.

We are far away from an infrastructure that provides a EV camping good experience. I would gladly pay $10+ for a great EV camp location, and would pay even more for food, supplies, and other amenities if available. It is more fun and better value proposition than a typical hotel stay.

We made it a priority to explore the locales on the route. After all, America is a big country with a great mix of rural, urban, and suburban areas. Our trip was not just about clocking miles - it was also about connecting my son with everything this country has to offer. This has always been the spirit of the great American road trip. We’re simply updating the experience in an EV.

• In Key West, we found a beautiful park where we had a relaxing breakfast cookout by the seashore
  • In Savannah, we ran into the park where Tom Hanks sat as Forrest Gump (sadly the bench is gone)
  • In DC, we randomly ran into the Transformers sculpture dispute next to Georgetown University
  • The drive from NYC to Boston looked boring and expensive with tolls, so we decided on a whim to take the scenic route into Albany through mid-state New York
  • On the Trans-Canadian highway, we found an unforgettably beautiful rest stop along Lake Superior where we dipped our toes in the water
  • While EV camping in Thunder Bay, ON, a thunderstorm passed overnight. There was lightning and thunder every 15 seconds for 30 minutes that lit up the night sky while rain poured on the car.
View attachment 965652 View attachment 965653

In large cities such as NYC and DC, we used public transit instead of driving. Driving and parking in a city is slow and frustrating, and public transit works much better for urban exploration.

Final Thoughts: The great American road trip is viable and fun in an EV, and how father and son learned more about each other​

The EV is a viable and affordable way to experience the great American road trip, but the experience is still improving. With the mature Supercharger network and the convenience of AutoPilot, EVs bring a refreshing update to the quintessential American road trip experience. Without a doubt, it is possible to traverse the country in an EV today with minimal range anxiety. The EV camping infrastructure remains a work in progress but it has great potential.

Ultimately, this is about a father and son spending a month together doing what they love. I learned a lot about my son, such as his likes, dislikes, and his profound shyness around strangers. He was able to overcome that fear during the trip. It was rewarding, as a father, to see my son grow during the trip. I hope the conversations we had have provided my son an insight into his father’s life and personality. I also wish that this trip will resonate as one of the cherished and enduring memories my son carries of his father after I am gone.

Thank you, Tesla, for revolutionizing the auto industry and making this trip possible!

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. Again, the full article with pictures is here: A Father-Son, 12,000 Mile EV Road Trip Across the USA
Very cool!

Reactions: zoomer0056
Nice post. Thank you for sharing.

Do you have a picture of your sleeping/camping setup? What kind of a mattress do you use? How much stuff did you guys pack? What about laundry?

For bedding, we went simple - 2 layers of comforters, 2 pillows, and light blankets was all we needed to be comfy. We stayed away from a mattress because we wanted to easily roll stuff up if we needed. For example, if we had to cross the border and get inspected.

We also used privacy shades. Not really because of privacy, but because it gets bright in the morning if we wanted to sleep in. The shades block the morning sun.

We didn't pack much. In general, we had 5 days of clothes, toiletry, a cooler for food, cooking gear, and a flat tire kit. We hit a Walmart or supermarket to resupply. We can always count on a Walmart or some local supermarket chain within 25 miles.

We do laundry at truck stops, usually after we shower. The washing machines at the big chains are fast and clean.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I bought my MY for driving across the country (New Hampshire <-> California) and just starting to read road trip reports. Thanks for yours. I've owned my MS for 10 years but never used nor needed the supercharger network. It is not a long range car. I'm quite the newbie at this level of Tesla ownership.

You said you used Autopilot; my understanding of AP is that it encompasses different levels - which did you use most? I'm having problems with phantom braking and "weird" braking that I would never do while driving. It is definitely not making driving relaxing. What issues, if any, did you have with autopilot? Any tips appreciated regarding AP. I will read your more detailed trip report as well.

AP is a super-interesting topic. This is my experience with a M3 (HW 2.5) and a MY (HW 4), both standard AP (not EAP, not FSD, just standard AP). I always use both AutoSteer + adaptive speed. I use between 3 and 7 keeping distance (3 for high traffic, 7 for long stretch rural areas). I do no more than 5 mph over speed limit.

On HW 2.5, AP feels mature. I very seldom experience phantom braking. The car feels "confident".

On HW 4, AP feels much less mature. It definitely does more phantom braking. Anecdotally (and I can definitely be wrong here), I think Tesla has implemented in-cabin monitoring. I have noticed that if I look away for a few moments (around 10 seconds?), the car will sometimes brake hard and beep to "nudge" me to look forward again. This sucks, but I can understand the safety motivation behind it. I'd rather it beep a few times to warn first, instead of hard braking. So, as long as I keep my hand on the steering wheel and looking straight ahead, it makes my drive more relaxed.

Hope you have a great trip between NH and CA! Superchargers are plentiful, but the drive over Colorado in the winter can be brutal.

Reactions: bwilliams

View attachment 965631

Intro​

• San Diego, CA
  • Key West, FL
  • Northeastern Maine
  • Seattle, WA

• Custom wheel covers
  • Mud flaps
View attachment 965636

Leg
Description
Start / End Points
Miles

View attachment 965650

View attachment 965652 View attachment 965653

I read your full article version, and have forwarded a link to it to all my EV owner friends and friends who are not sure about EVs that I am working on. I would love to do a trip like this before I get too old, but I do not think my family would want to. But I am working on trying to convince them of a shorter version of your trip to visit the Intermountain West for our summer 2024 vacation.

And at 6'3" and 220 pounds I doubt I would be comfortable camping in my Model X, but that would be OK, I would stay in hotels.

PS, hope you find new work soon!

Last edited:
Something else to keep in mind in a jam: private campgrounds often have campsites with NEMA 14-50 outlets you could use as a L2 charger overnight at 32 amps with your mobile Tesla charger and a NEMA 14-50 adapter. They won't be free, as you'd have to rent a campsite, but they offer showers and rest rooms, and most offer picnic tables, fire rings, etc. Heck, you might even be able to rent a camping cabin and get that power outlet at the same time.

I just finished my second cross country trip. Was hoping for > 10,000 miles (last year was "only" 9.2K) but got called home a bit early, which results in only 9,486 miles for this trip.
Averaged 305 Wh/mile. Lots of highway driving with FSD. It does make traveling a long distance so much easier.
Your trip looked excellent. I agree with Dracaris's post on staying at RV sites. I used RV Life to do the initial searching for potential sites in the area.
Most sites allow car camping but some do not. Most sites also want you to arrive by 6 or 7 PM, so call first and determine what their policies are.
You definitely want sites with 50A service. Charging overnight with the NEMA 14-50 plug and mobile charger while running Camp mode all night is excellent.
At 6'2", moving the front seats foward once you arrive helps with overnight camping. The frunk is also nice for storage on a trip.
This year, I did get a TT-30 plug as a few sites only had the 30A available. I sadly discovered that the 30A is only at 120V (or less) and only can provide 3kW/h of charging.
Most of the time, not a big deal as you can get to a SC easily enough the next morning. However, one night was a bit dicey, as I had just visited Bryce Canyon NP and was heading to eventually Texas. Stayed overnight in Glendale, UT, arriving with about 15% (Camp mode needs 20%) and left the next morning with just 45% after all night of charging.
I did make it to Page, AZ SC with 6%. I knew it'd be close before I left, due to the wonderful Navigation system the Y has, but still doable.
I also used ABRP to do the initial route planning. As I didn't want to repeat last year's trip, I stayed at new (for me) RV parks. I also went up to Manitoba, over to SK and AB before the wildfires convinced me to alter the trip. Ducked down towards Glacier NP in Montana which is beautiful. Stayed overnight at an RV site near there. Then back into Canada to drive on the Crowsnest highway over to Vancouver. No issues charging in US or Canada. Canada seems significantly cheaper due to the exchange rate. However SCs seem to have a time of use where the rates can change, so pay attention to that.
I had originally planned for 17 National Parks but some were closed due to wildfires and my early recall forced the skipping of a few others. Only hit 13, bringing my total to now 40 (out of 63). Also geocached in most of the states. Very nice if there is a geocache near a SC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Msicario
I just finished my second cross country trip. Was hoping for > 10,000 miles (last year was "only" 9.2K) but got called home a bit early, which results in only 9,486 miles for this trip.
Averaged 305 Wh/mile. Lots of highway driving with FSD. It does make traveling a long distance so much easier.
Your trip looked excellent. I agree with Dracaris's post on staying at RV sites. I used RV Life to do the initial searching for potential sites in the area.
Most sites allow car camping but some do not. Most sites also want you to arrive by 6 or 7 PM, so call first and determine what their policies are.
You definitely want sites with 50A service. Charging overnight with the NEMA 14-50 plug and mobile charger while running Camp mode all night is excellent.
At 6'2", moving the front seats foward once you arrive helps with overnight camping. The frunk is also nice for storage on a trip.
This year, I did get a TT-30 plug as a few sites only had the 30A available. I sadly discovered that the 30A is only at 120V (or less) and only can provide 3kW/h of charging.
Most of the time, not a big deal as you can get to a SC easily enough the next morning. However, one night was a bit dicey, as I had just visited Bryce Canyon NP and was heading to eventually Texas. Stayed overnight in Glendale, UT, arriving with about 15% (Camp mode needs 20%) and left the next morning with just 45% after all night of charging.
I did make it to Page, AZ SC with 6%. I knew it'd be close before I left, due to the wonderful Navigation system the Y has, but still doable.
I also used ABRP to do the initial route planning. As I didn't want to repeat last year's trip, I stayed at new (for me) RV parks. I also went up to Manitoba, over to SK and AB before the wildfires convinced me to alter the trip. Ducked down towards Glacier NP in Montana which is beautiful. Stayed overnight at an RV site near there. Then back into Canada to drive on the Crowsnest highway over to Vancouver. No issues charging in US or Canada. Canada seems significantly cheaper due to the exchange rate. However SCs seem to have a time of use where the rates can change, so pay attention to that.
I had originally planned for 17 National Parks but some were closed due to wildfires and my early recall forced the skipping of a few others. Only hit 13, bringing my total to now 40 (out of 63). Also geocached in most of the states. Very nice if there is a geocache near a SC.
MYLR, what year, What tire size & psi?