Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on how to best "tow" luggage on the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpg
I mentioned my trailer plan earlier in this thread and now the subject of power consumed per mile comes up - I suppose the drag of a large but light weight trailer is worse than the weight of a more aerodynamic, small but heavy generator?
At least when the heavy load gets up to cruising speed it doesn't need much more power than normal to pull along, whereas something large and 'barn door' like is literally a 'drag' and needs constant force and power to overcome this.
Any way here's a picture or what I have in mind - converting a lighting tower generator - I'm going to remove the lights to fit a wind turbine ! Great idea yes ?
Hope no one thought I would turn up in my Eco friendly electric car on a peaceful lochside campsite , with Golden Eagles gliding majestically overhead and Haggis running wild in the Heather - only to crank up a stinking great 3 litre deisel smoke machine !
No - that will only be in emergencies, and perhaps if I'm running low whilst driving - I'm sure I can rig up the thing to remote start whilst moving along - the generator that is , not the wind turbine.
Food for thought - mind you the car won't let you charge without being in park will it !
Think I will settle for plan A , static recharging, firstly the calm and clean wind turbine and if pressed the generator, nothing dafter than getting stuck miles from anywhere.

Nice thread - Thanks! I think you do should even consider using the stock Bosal receiver wit a cargo carrier. The stock Bosal hitch has what seems as a pretty weak connection to the receiver bracket. It is only rated up to 120#. Last weekend, I put on the DrawTight receiver pictured. This will support up to 500#. Note: it will affect driving characteristics, so with or without autopilot on, be careful!

Attachments

• Cargo Carrier 1.jpg
    Cargo Carrier 1.jpg
    550.8 KB · Views: 59
  • DT Receiver Finished- black.jpg
    DT Receiver Finished- black.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Drawtight Receiver Bracket.jpg
    Drawtight Receiver Bracket.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: ohmman