Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on Powerwall for new build?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PaulP : <<There is no magic glass with a one way heat flow.>>

Of course not. But there is definitely a great improvement in both heat retention and noise reduction with something like Pilkington K glass. Our last house in the Highlands had similar (but unfortunately Chinese) units to what we used to have, and the difference in noise reduction is dramatic. Laminated glass does not reduce the low frequencies very much - a layer of air/neon does.

But I'm only speaking from experience, done no measurements.

PS I'm now living in a retirement home with standard Aussie thin glass..........

There's multiple mechanisms for heat to flow. Double glazing primarily works to reduce conducted heat, without affecting radiative heat transfer very much. If the sun is shining through your window on a cold winter's day, heat conduction through the window is a loss but radiative heat transfer is a gain.

There's multiple mechanisms for heat to flow. Double glazing primarily works to reduce conducted heat, without affecting radiative heat transfer very much. If the sun is shining through your window on a cold winter's day, heat conduction through the window is a loss but radiative heat transfer is a gain
Yes but the radiative heat transfer is affected by at least DOUBLE compared to normal single-pane glass, plus the glass used in modern double-glazing units is often deliberately designed to be heat-blocking, so you get the case (like my house) that you get reasonable heat resistance in summer (conductive) but also poor heat gain (despite direct sun) in winter. Thus it is important to know exactly what you are getting when you buy double-glazing units.
I love them- quiet and (in combination with drapes) excellent heat-resistance. In both directions!

PaulP : <<There is no magic glass with a one way heat flow.>>

Of course not. But there is definitely a great improvement in both heat retention and noise reduction with something like Pilkington K glass. Our last house in the Highlands had similar (but unfortunately Chinese) units to what we used to have, and the difference in noise reduction is dramatic. Laminated glass does not reduce the low frequencies very much - a layer of air/neon does.

But I'm only speaking from experience, done no measurements.

PS I'm now living in a retirement home with standard Aussie thin glass..........
I have all the data. Laminated glass is definately a superior sound blocker, but its marginal. I was a bit surprised by it. The thicker the plastic interlayer the better. But....its compared to standard double glazing. If you increase the air gap the double glazing becomes better.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman