Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice wanted - Color and FSD choice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, everyone, I have a reservation for a Model Y AWD, FSD, Black exterior, and interior.

Working in sustainability, advocacy, and do some work in/live an active outdoor lifestyle (surf, snowboard, kiteboard, mountain bike, climb, etc.) I am thrilled to be getting this car. It will be an amazing vehicle for adventure camping etc while aligning with my personal mission. I have not received any notifications for delivery yet. I have had two vehicles my whole life and had my current Toyota since 2007 so thrilled to be at a point to get an electric car to back up my work in the environmental space. My past vehicles have both been silver. I live in Los Angeles and frequent the beach and mountains. So my question for everyone here is.

1. Color input. I really like black (I like the blacked-out look so may get the Gemini wheels and paint) the most but might consider the white model Y. I know Tesla has had paint issues occasionally. Can anyone weigh in on maintenance of a black car vs white?

2. FSD. I ordered with FSD, but also considered adding later (before price increases further). From my research, it seems there is no tax benefit to doing it after here in California (even though its software). Does anyone have thoughts on this buying with vs after?

Reactions: RoBoRaT
1. I think the quality of paint has increased as they ironed things out overall, the problem with black is that every single scratch and scuff will show up. You seem to be pursuing an active life, so whether it is from the roads, other people, or just bumping into it while loading, the black will be rough. That said, it is gorgeous in black and if you go for PPF for the whole car, it is a great way to go. Of course the cost of that is pretty substantial from what I know (~5-7k) but your car will look amazing for years to come.

2. The way it is worded, it seems that without FSD, it might not come with the HW3 computer, rather the 2.5. The same way they did it in China but here there seems to be a little more clarity in it. I get this from the fact that when you select the upgrade, it specifically lists the FSD computer as part of the package and it wouldn't make sense to do that unless it wasn't originally included. I switched from FSD to performance because I had the same idea of getting it before price went up, but you can't get the performance later as it has different hardware but you can get the FSD since the computer will be part of the upgrade if it isn't already included. If it does require new HW, you might be without a car for anywhere from a couple hours to a couple of days as they do the replacement. Otherwise it would be a simple OTA.

Reactions: mrkbig
1. Have Black Model 3 - shows dirt and swirl mark easier vs White Model X. White Model X have mismatched paint, rear bumper somewhat off compared to rest of body. We got Midnight Silver Metallic Model Y, will trade Model 3 for Black when the time comes. Just be prepared to clean Black, dirt shows easily too.
20200106_151521.jpg
20190119_121531.jpg 20191124_161603.jpg

20200317_192128.jpg

Attachments

• 20200317_181853.jpg
    20200317_181853.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 20191124_161603.jpg
    20191124_161603.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
2. FSD. I ordered with FSD, but also considered adding later (before price increases further). From my research, it seems there is no tax benefit to doing it after here in California (even though its software). Does anyone have thoughts on this buying with vs after?

Our 2018 Model 3 has FSD. I drove it 45k miles in 1 year SoCal freeways mostly - used Auto Pilot (moderately used with Auto Lane Change) a lot. Rarely used Nav on AP/Smart Summon/Auto Park.

So we did not get FSD for 2019 Model X - was totaled after 5 months owning. Good thing we did not have FSD on it. Looking at USAA insurance valuation - $3K was alloted if it had FSD, still only 3K of 7K was to be valued.

Basic AutoPilot was good enough, used it on freeway and long drives with the X. Only thing I can say I miss is Auto Lane Change out of all other FSD features when driving the X in freeways, but I am also ok without it.

We got our Performance Model Y no FSD.
Tesla usually gives heads up before increasing price - so there should be time to buy at current price. I rather buy TSLA stocks now than FSD, if you ask me to pick between the two.

HW3 (aka FSD computer) came with the 2019 Model X and 2020 Model Y that we bought without Full Self Driving capability.

And, tomorrow my Model 3 HW 2.5 will get HW3 - Tesla SC says takes 2 hours to do.

When I trade in this Model 3 - I will not get FSD.
I think I'll be fine with basic Auto Pilot.20200316_184934.jpg

If you got the money for FSD, put the 7 grand in TSLA stocks. If and when the FSD becomes fully functional/roadlegal, the stock price will skyrocket, and you can use some of the money to pay for FSD, even if there is a price rise.

I’ve had my shares of black cars, never again. The dirt is always visible. I’m going for a deep blue because my wife want one. My favourite is the MSM PUP. The 21” grey ÜT goes perfectly with the MSM. The white with the black 20” wheels are also gorgeous.
Good luck

Reactions: Bobhilt and frankvb