Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero vs sport wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a P3D- that I recently upgraded from 18" to 19" wheels (swapped with a friend). 295 Wh/mile on the 18" (avg over 2500 miles), 330 Wh/mile (avg over 300 miles) so far on the 19". Obviously my numbers are higher because I use all the torques, but that's what I've seen so far. YMMV

I have a P3D- that I recently upgraded from 18" to 19" wheels (swapped with a friend). 295 Wh/mile on the 18" (avg over 2500 miles), 330 Wh/mile (avg over 300 miles) so far on the 19". Obviously my numbers are higher because I use all the torques, but that's what I've seen so far. YMMV
Which tires on each set of wheels? Seems like the tires may make more of a difference than the wheels. (Sticky/grippy = less efficient)

I wanted 18" wheels, but hated the black aero covers, and didn't want to spend the extra for 19".
Another less expensive way to change the look is to dip the covers for about $50 (DIY).
Before and after:
IMG_2097.JPG

IMG_2578.JPG

IMG_2579.JPG

Reactions: Jedi2155 and DR61
I have a set of the sport 19” on, replacing the Aeros. Factory Continentals instead of the factory Michelin’s. Interestingly I find that the sports ride as well or better than the Aeros, likely because of the softer tread wear rating for Contis combined with a lower recommended tire pressure. I’ll keep the Aeros for winter.

Pretty interesting article by Edmonds that dives deeper in if you haven’t seen it already - Stopping Distance and Grip With 18- and 19-inch Tires - 2017 Tesla Model 3 Long-Term Road Test

• Helpful
Reactions: redscott