Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero wheels without wheel caps, without lug nut caps and center cap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I'd make my first post a potentially dumb question.

Anyone rolling with the aero wheels without caps and not covering the lug nuts or center hub? Here's the dumb question: what is the potential disadvantage of not covering those up?

All responses, including burns, are appreciated!

I bought the $50 dress up kit without knowing that the Aero hubcaps will not go back on for range improvement on long road trips unless the center logo caps for the naked wheels are removed first. The center logo removal requires prying them out with the possibility of leaving marks at the pry points. Meanwhile, I'm growing fonder of the Aero look.

I took off the aero cap for the first time yesterday and actually like the steampunk look of the exposed lugs and hub.

Going to get the dress up kit for sure but was just seeing if anyone else was just running the wheels exposed and coming across any issues with potential rust or corrosion at all (dont know what material the exposed bits are)

Instead of using the lug nut covers, you can also use a different type of lug nut where the covers aren't necessary.

I use the Gorilla System model 71643NBC. These are a set of 20 lug nuts, and all of them are a locking lug nut, requiring a key. They're black and closed-ended, eliminating the need for the plastic covers. They are also short enough so that if you remove the center cap, they will fit underneath the Aero covers if you want to put them on.

If you want to do this with a non-locking set (standard 13/16" hex nut), then use Gorilla part number 91147BC. This part number is only for a set of 4, so you will need quantity 5 of them if you want to do all 20 lug nuts.

GorillaSystemInstalled.jpg

GorillaSystemInstalled2.jpg

What is the size of the Aero wheel lug nuts, if I just want to get some simple plastic covers, so I don't have to take out and swap the lug nuts? (it's raining outside and too dark at the moment to mic the nuts).

Are there common (non-Tesla) center pieces we can buy - what dimensions, how specified - that would easily come out, so we can put the Aero plastic things on for longer trips?

OK, the answer is ~20.X mm hex on the lug nuts. A 20mm or a
21mm set might fit.

The center hole is ~58mm ID at the edge, then 53mm then 52mm.

It's hard to get the micrometer caliper in there without leaning
on the spokes and get a truly precise reading. I'll try again later.

The $50 Tesla covers kit is out of stock, big time. So I ordered
one of these, in red. They were $59, then $69, and now $79.
Hmm. I also ordered one of these $9 kits, not sure the
center piece is all that important to me. Also, leaving it off
should make putting the Aero hubcaps on for longer drives
a breeze if I don't have to pull out four decorative center
covers each time. We'll see and return what's unnecessary.

• Helpful
Reactions: T3SMA
Found this kit today tossed in the driveway, between the cars,
Amazon Prime newspaper route style.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=tmc064-20

The first observation is that the nut covers are indistinguishable
from the ones in the $9 set

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N2JK7RL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That one also arrived today. They both say T53, they have the same
removal tool, but the ones in the $70 set have some extra numbers
inside, and fit just a half-smidge looser. They look exactly the same.

But the center caps are something else. Machined out of aluminum,
with a great paint or powder or whatever, and the Tesla logo in the
center is very cleanly inlaid. These cap heads don't sink flush in the
hole like the Tesla ones do. It looks better I think, and finger-prying
them off is easy. It might even be a good idea to add some friction
stuff to make sure they stay put until you mean to pull them off - to
install the Aero hubcaps, for 10% more efficiency on highway drives.

I feel a bit guilty spending $70 on such knick-knacks, but wifey insists
it really looks primo, so it's forgivable. The red logo does add a nice touch.

Wheel2_20190331_202544.jpg

Frankly, I've looked at a lot of Model 3s of late, and IMHO, either with or
without a center cap, I prefer the 18" wheels to the optional sport ones.

And the $9 nut caps alone offer a manly (and economical) look of their own ;-)
Anyone here going to try their grey, red or turquoise nut caps? Nine bucks.

Wheel1_20190331_203616.jpg

Thank you for the information about this option with the locking lug nuts.
I used the link included in your post, but according to Amazon, the Gorilla System model 71643NBC lug nuts won't fit my vehicle (a 2019 TM3). Did you get the same compatibility message when you ordered yours?
Thanks again for your detailed post :)

Instead of using the lug nut covers, you can also use a different type of lug nut where the covers aren't necessary.

I use the Gorilla System model 71643NBC. These are a set of 20 lug nuts, and all of them are a locking lug nut, requiring a key. They're black and closed-ended, eliminating the need for the plastic covers. They are also short enough so that if you remove the center cap, they will fit underneath the Aero covers if you want to put them on.

If you want to do this with a non-locking set (standard 13/16" hex nut), then use Gorilla part number 91147BC. This part number is only for a set of 4, so you will need quantity 5 of them if you want to do all 20 lug nuts.

GorillaSystemInstalled.jpg

GorillaSystemInstalled2.jpg