Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AFCI breaker for Wall Connector - Gen 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking of installing a Wall Connector - Gen 3 for my (future) Model Y :D

The manual of the Wall Connector specifically says to not install it on a GFCI circuit breaker since the Wall Connector includes a GFCI breaker. But it doesn't say anything about AFCI breaker. Should I get an AFCI breaker for the Wall Connector (it will be indoors in the garage) or should I use a standard 2 pole 60 amp breaker?

That is bit of a loaded question TBH. Per code (last check) I don't think you need one for a garage. I would also say in general it's tough to overly recommend AFCI breakers in general. Yes, they are better, yes the provide more for safety, but I have seen and read a lot about AFCI's being too sensitive for the items fed off of them (vacuum cleaners being the most common issues). In my opinion as long as the wiring is correctly sized and terminated, and the proper sized breaker is installed for the powerwall, then an AFCI is not needed. I am not sure how a powerwall will handle being fed from an AFCI honestly.

In general the idea of AFCI's is more for the house proper (bedrooms/living rooms/dining rooms/closets, etc) to guard against arcing circuits that could start a fire, and GFCIs are for areas where water, or water on surfaces are highly likely (near kitchen sinks, bathrooms, garages, exterior outlets) is present and have a high shock risk.

Reactions: kayak1
(Current as to 2020 NFPA 70)

If you'd like to look at exactly where AFCI protection is required by the NEC in dwelling units, look at 210.12(A). You'll see that it only covers 120 volt circuits. Your wall charger won't be a 120 volt circuit - more than likely will be a single phase, 240 volt in the USA (assuming you are in your home).

As for the GFI issue; look at 210.8(A)(2). All receptacles (that is the key word in the code) shall have GFCI proctection. If you hard-wire the wall charger, as I believe is the way you normally would, you will not need a GFI breaker on the circuit. However, if you (or anyone, of course) install a receptacle such as a NEMA 14-50R, the circuit will require a GFI breaker.

Cheers :)