Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Affect of heat & cold on Solar Glass ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How big is your installation? We have a 8.6kw solar glass v3 installation in Santa Clara and I get only 17kwh per day max.. :-(
Sounds like something is wrong unless you have significant shading or no south facing PV tiles. Might want to check the inverter read outs during the day. I have 10.52kW v3 in San Jose and got 65-69kWh the past 3 days. About 50% south, 35% east, 15% west facing PV tiles.
The whole process was messy and lacking heads-up or plan review with us... so I don’t exactly know to that day the repartition... we have tiles everywhere, with only some on the north side... not enough on the south probably but still: they claimed the spread should produce 10Mwh for the year and they said that was very conservative. We have no shade. Needless to say that if they had told us our roof configuration would not allow producing enough, we would have looked at other options...
All along the project, it been impossible to get information or discuss possible variations. Since switch on, impossible to get support...
Peak production on the inverters show about 1.1kw and .9 max respectively... so for the day around 11kwh and 6kwh...

The whole process was messy and lacking heads-up or plan review with us... so I don’t exactly know to that day the repartition... we have tiles everywhere, with only some on the north side... not enough on the south probably but still: they claimed the spread should produce 10Mwh for the year and they said that was very conservative. We have no shade. Needless to say that if they had told us our roof configuration would not allow producing enough, we would have looked at other options...
All along the project, it been impossible to get information or discuss possible variations. Since switch on, impossible to get support...
Peak production on the inverters show about 1.1kw and .9 max respectively... so for the day around 11kwh and 6kwh...
What kind of weather do you have, full sun all day as we have had in Monterey in the last few days or partial fog?
What was your peak production yesterday, for instance or today at peak production?
Is your production readout on the Tesla app? Are you able to do any monitoring of the inverters themselves?

I have a system about 3.9 kW. I am able to independently monitor each micro inverters and about 6 parameters each is need be, independent of the Tesla app that has recent issues, or rather the sensors in the battery system.
Production today with bit to go is 24.8 kWh. 25.9 kWh on the 7th. My all time best in 8 years for one day was 26.8 kWh.

Something is just not right with your system. Don't give up.

What kind of weather do you have, full sun all day as we have had in Monterey in the last few days or partial fog?
What was your peak production yesterday, for instance or today at peak production?
Is your production readout on the Tesla app? Are you able to do any monitoring of the inverters themselves?

I have a system about 3.9 kW. I am able to independently monitor each micro inverters and about 6 parameters each is need be, independent of the Tesla app that has recent issues, or rather the sensors in the battery system.
Production today with bit to go is 24.8 kWh. 25.9 kWh on the 7th. My all time best in 8 years for one day was 26.8 kWh.

Something is just not right with your system. Don't give up.
Bay Area does not have fog these days. Peak today reached 2.2kw... production yesterday was 17kwh.

so after several tries to the different phone numbers, got to yet another support person who said the need to send somebody over to finalize turning the system on which should happen in the next couple of days... I guess they did not expect the utility company to turn around in one day and give them the authorization to operate? Not sure what remains to turn on... but fingers crossed... TBC...

(note that, sadly, if I did not call, again I would not have known... just not enough communication which has been the major issue during the whole project so far)

Bay Area does not have fog these days. Peak today reached 2.2kw... production yesterday was 17kwh.

so after several tries to the different phone numbers, got to yet another support person who said the need to send somebody over to finalize turning the system on which should happen in the next couple of days... I guess they did not expect the utility company to turn around in one day and give them the authorization to operate? Not sure what remains to turn on... but fingers crossed... TBC...

(note that, sadly, if I did not call, again I would not have known... just not enough communication which has been the major issue during the whole project so far)

Glad to hear it is moving forward. The speed of the inspection and utility is great, but should not have thrown them off. I think they blew the comissioning at the end of the job.

How big is your installation? We have a 8.6kw solar glass v3 installation in Santa Clara and I get only 17kwh per day max.. :-(

My system is 13.32 kWp on the PV Modules, though the inverters are only rated for 10.4kW (2x Delta Solivia 5.2TL). My daily max was right around 75kW last year, I've reached 74kW so far this year

What inverter(s) do you have, I assume they're Delta but are they Solivias or the newer display-less Mx models? And when the initial Interconnect "paperwork" was sent to PG&E (before installation began), it should have included a system diagram you should have received via email (if Tesla didn't give you a whole package of details). That would show how many PV Modules are connected to each inverter channel, and their expected peak voltage & current (and therefore power). I'd be curious how the channels are set up, and if you have the Solivia units how the display on the Solivia(s) compare with the expectations.

So it sounds like @Tk18 system isnt even supposed to be on yet, if they havent received full PTO. 17kWh sounds really low, but it doesnt even sound like the system is actually "on" so I wonder if whats in the tesla app is what is actually being generated, etc.

let us know what happens when "they come out to turn it on".

My system is 13.32 kWp on the PV Modules, though the inverters are only rated for 10.4kW (2x Delta Solivia 5.2TL). My daily max was right around 75kW last year, I've reached 74kW so far this year

What inverter(s) do you have, I assume they're Delta but are they Solivias or the newer display-less Mx models? And when the initial Interconnect "paperwork" was sent to PG&E (before installation began), it should have included a system diagram you should have received via email (if Tesla didn't give you a whole package of details). That would show how many PV Modules are connected to each inverter channel, and their expected peak voltage & current (and therefore power). I'd be curious how the channels are set up, and if you have the Solivia units how the display on the Solivia(s) compare with the expectations.
Tesla never sent that information to us... I have been asking for it, but did not get it yet...

we have the same solivia 5.2k you have.
I had to fix the clock on them so by the end of the day I have the right reading. Don’t think there is anything wrong with them. The display (well, sun of the 2 displays) match in term of power what the app reports (today we have a peak at 2.5Kw for some seconds!), well below expectations... for the whole days, the sum of energy is around 17kwh for a good sunny day... the app reports less than that because I believe one of the sensors is not installed properly... this is also well below expectations... and these are the best sunniest days of the year...

we are not with PG&E for power.

So it sounds like @Tk18 system isnt even supposed to be on yet, if they havent received full PTO. 17kWh sounds really low, but it doesnt even sound like the system is actually "on" so I wonder if whats in the tesla app is what is actually being generated, etc.

let us know what happens when "they come out to turn it on".

they received full PTO 2 days after the city approved the installation... they claimed they did not, so I called my utility company who confirmed they had already informed them it was a “go!”... they are just very disorganized for some reason (I could fully understand if it was due to Covid side effects, and I would have no Pb with that, but my main issue is not knowing what is going on, and what is the plan... each time I call, I am getting a different information)

I could understand producing nothing (because not turned on) or producing what’s expected: producing a little is weird to me...

yup: as soon as they come... they were supposed to let me know when or come by today, but it is still up in the air... they told me today they are trying to figure out their schedule.

out of the 100 roof installations started on March 2nd, I wonder how many got PTO and how many are fully operational. Our city and utility company were so responsive (2days turnaround) I’d be surprised if we are not one of the rare one: with that in mind, it is even more weird to not get much support.

Once it is all resolved, I’m sure I’ll live the product: even with the terribly low production we’ve been off grid for 2 weeks already... (thanks to not having to charge the M3 much)