Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After market wheels - center cap falling out and getting lost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've lost 2 center caps now from my set of after market wheels... Is there any good reason not to superglue them in place? AS I understand it they are there to hide the spindle nut and wheel bearings, but these can be accessed by taking the wheel off right?

I've lost 2 center caps now from my set of after market wheels... Is there any good reason not to superglue them in place? AS I understand it they are there to hide the spindle nut and wheel bearings, but these can be accessed by taking the wheel off right?

Did you put the Tesla caps onto the aftermarket wheels? Don't see why not if they are falling off so easily

MNX - I don't know how well superglue will hold up to the heat generated by the brakes and hub. Is it popping out of the front or the rear wheels? If it is the front it may be a heat build up issue where the pressure builds behind the center cap and pops it off. Or it could just be a symptom of impropper fitment of the center cap (i.e. not properly sized from the factory).

Reach out to the manufacturer of the wheels and see if they will give you a replacement and keep your fingers crossed that the fitment is better.

Thanks. I ordered 2 replacements when my first one fell out. It was one of the front wheels which has since been rotated into the back. I believe it is a case of bad fit. The other center caps fit slightly loose (eg. you can rotate them in place) but this one the rubber gasket got slightly pinched and didn't go in well. It was maybe 99.8% in. I was hoping that superglue might help keep it in this time.

MNX - I don't know how well superglue will hold up to the heat generated by the brakes and hub. Is it popping out of the front or the rear wheels? If it is the front it may be a heat build up issue where the pressure builds behind the center cap and pops it off. Or it could just be a symptom of impropper fitment of the center cap (i.e. not properly sized from the factory).

Reach out to the manufacturer of the wheels and see if they will give you a replacement and keep your fingers crossed that the fitment is better.