Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After trying to add in my Model X, AAA -doubled- my car insurance premium.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
From 2000 a year to 4000 a year. No points, no claims for 15+ years.

They think I'm going to drag race from stop light to stop light?

Is there a "go to" insurance company for Tesla drivers that consistently have the best rates? I can bring along home and multi car as well.

Thanks

When I got quotes, the Costco insurance company was the cheapest (Ameriprise). But not by much. Teslas are expensive in CA especially if you are putting mileage on it as your daily driver . And if its a P, I found that added to the costs as well.

Model X 60D

Barebones.. but I suspect there is probably not a huge difference between a 60D and P100D. I get the feeling that 'Tesla anything' is a huge premium no matter what battery pack or trim.

That's just how AAA is with Tesla. They were very up front with me that their premium for Tesla is very expensive and not competitive. As an example, our MX replaced my BMW M3 (fairly similar in value), and the premium would have doubled had I stayed with them. Which is why we switched to Wawanesa.

In SoFla I went from a 2004 Jaguar XK-8 Convertible to a 2014 P85D. The new price of the Tesla was about 50% higher than the Jaguar. No accidents, no violations, FL Safe Driver, but 69 years old when I bought the Tesla. Spouse also clean record but younger than me.

My insurance covers remained exactly the same. My price from Progressive went down by about 30%.

FWIW, a young driver in an old car hit me in an intersection soon after I bought my Tesla. Progressive was superb and quickly established 100% culpability to the other driver and my rates did not charge. FWIW, there was minimal damage to my car other than to my protective film, but teh other car had quite a dent in a door.

Progressive, BTW, seemed to know and like Tesla. When making the changeover I ended out needed to talk with an agent who said, "you'll love your car, all our other owners seem to. I want one, but cannot afford it".
I haven't compared other insurers for several years.

Our P85D is about the same cost(about $1000) as our Prius and quite a bit less than our 2007 Lexus SC430. All of them with AAA in California.(CSAA)

That is great for you but does not make any sense. I'm not saying call them to have them raise the rates but I would make sure your mileage/coverage is accurate.

Don't want to find yourself with liability only or something that puts you at extreme risk.