Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance On Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys,

Just placed my order yesterday for a 60s, having trouble finding the best insurance to work with. Quotes I'm getting are 300-400/month. I know insurance rates vary, but is anyone in a similar boat able to get their rates down?

Single
San Francisco
Clean driving record.

Hey Guys,

Just placed my order yesterday for a 60s, having trouble finding the best insurance to work with. Quotes I'm getting are 300-400/month. I know insurance rates vary, but is anyone in a similar boat able to get their rates down?

Single
San Francisco
Clean driving record.

I am 27, Male, Colorado, kinda clean driving record (some older speeding tickets, etc). I pay ~$1,000/6 months through Progressive for the same insurance level I have always held. My 2014 Ford Fusion was ~$800/6 months. So not to much of a price increase for a car valued over 3x the price.

The biggest thing the look out for is that if you give them a VIN, make sure it pulls up the proper car. A lot of people have been giving insurance companies VINs that pull up performance models and will cost much more. So make sure they actually pull up the right spec'd car!

Thanks Erik

Reactions: RacerX
OK, lots of stuff about insurance in this group and on FACEBOOK. Stay away from GEICO, once you have a claim it will be a nightmare...Not a single good news story about TESLA and GEICO... Progressive too... Who is your current insurance company? look for the TESLA OWNERS WORLD WIDE group on facebook, there has been several discussion about insurance in the past week.

Hey Guys,

Single
San Francisco
Clean driving record.

I don't have a Model S, yet, but when I was quoting a couple of weeks ago, GEICO (current insurer) quoted me around $18-20 more per month than my current 2011 G37 sedan. The quotes were based on the classic P90D/P90/P85D. Not sure about the refresh.

Details: M,35,3 insured cars, married, clean driving record (1 ticket, 1 minor fender bender).

As I'm sure you know everything costs more in SF! Good luck!

Hey Guys,

I recommend anyone who is 55 or older to consider Hartford through AARP. Very, very good rates for good coverage.

• Informative
Reactions: Cooksomerice
Check out Ameriprise through CostCo. Go to the CostCo website and search for insurance. Consumer Reports rates them high in customer satisfaction and I found their rates to be very reasonable. My six month premium is $417 with the maximum coverages offered and $500 deductibles. For $10 extra it also includes guaranteed replacement cost for first year of vehicle ownership or 15000 miles.

I checked around for insurance and I believe there is more variability in pricing between insurance companies for Teslas compared to other automobiles. One cause that was already mentioned is the inaccurate VIN decoding by the insurance companies. But I think the other cause is that some insurance companies haven't figured out how costly it is to repair a Tesla and some insurance companies that insure a lot of Teslas have figured this out and charge a premium for Teslas.

Like others have said, the insurance rates seem to vary wildly for a Tesla. One person may get the best rate with GEICO and another will get the best rate with State Farm. I had luck with USAA. I think the key thing with a Tesla is to shop around.

I agree on Costco/Ameriprise. They no longer write new policies in Florida, but will write for existing policyholders. I just added my Model S in exchange for my 2011 535 and my annual premium increased by about $200. for 500K coverage, my model S costs just under $1,200 per year including rental reimbursement. I was pleasantly surprised. It's still cheaper to insure than my daughter's Mazda3.

As others have said, it varies greatly on location, your driving history, credit score, etc.

I just switched from Travelers to Progressive and with the same high coverages, I went from $600ish every 6-mo to $350 every 6-mo.

low-30s male, no accidents or tickets, high coverage amounts

I just got a quote from Safeco yesterday. Unfortunately, they show the VIN for my S 90D as an S P90D. 45 y/o male, no accidents or tickets, multi-car discount, multi-policy discount, 250/500 coverage was $1858 a year. They said it could be cheaper if they could fix it so that the car wasn't identified as a performance model...but I'm not going to get a policy from them based on that "if" so I'll probably be shopping around for some other quotes.

Hey Guys,

Single
San Francisco
Clean driving record.
I created a spreadsheet to track options from different companies when I ordered my car. I am also 27, male & single with no accidents or tickets on my record. Progressive was the cheapest for me at $462 per 6 months for $250k/$500k liability & uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage, with $0 glass coverage & $500 deductibles for comprehensive/collision. The next cheapest was Esurance at $709 for less coverage. State Farm was $800 and no one else came in at under $1000 per 6 month policy term.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I think SF is your problem.

San Diego, 29 male, max coverage Geico offers and I pay ~$1600 a year on 2 EV cars. 20K miles/year on the Tesla 90D and 5K miles on the other EV. If I remove the other car, I reckon it would be around $1K per year. Before the Tesla, the other car was around $1K/year with only 10K miles/year.

Last edited: