Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket 20" 9.5J / 10.5J tire advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering getting the Forgestar F14's for my Plaid MX in this color combo (my MX also has been wrapped with XPel Stealth)

As much as I like the look of the 22" wheels however, I don't like the discomfort and vibrations so I'm looking at the 20" versions. After a query to Forgestar, it seems the options are: 9J, 9.5J, 10.5J. The stock Cyberstreams I currently have on there are a 9J / 10J configuration, so I would have to go for a 9J/10.5J or a 9.5J/10.5J combo.

Now the stock 9J / 10J configuration uses 265/45/20 and 275/45/20 tires. How do I adjust for the extra .5" width? My semi-mathematical brain is looking at the problem like this:

265mm = 10.4331" (9J front)
275mm = 10.8268" (10J rear)

Going up 1" in rim width means going up 0.3937" in tire width which is basically 10mm. So going up 1/2" means sizing up by 5mm.

So question # 1: does this mean the "correct" tire sizes for 9J/10.5J would be 265/45/20 and 280/45/20, and for the 9.5J/10.5J it would be 270/45/20 and 280/45/20?

And question #2: Any thoughts on 9J vs 9.5J on the front? I assume 9.5J would give more traction but also less range due to friction.

If it were me I'd stick with the OEM sizes in whatever tire you choose - reason being, it probably helps efficiency to have a bit of "stretch" on (This is how the Model Y is set up, 255/45-19 on a 19x9.5" wheel)

I don't think the wider wheel under the same tire will make range worse - the opposite in fact, all things being equal, because a lot of the energy lost to "rolling resistance" manifests in the form of heat due to internal friction due to sidewall flex. Wider rim under the same tire = less sidewall flex. Less flex = less battery energy dissipating in your tire sidewalls

Plaid and Long Range Model S use the same setup for the 19's - 255 on a 9.5 in front, 285 on a 10.5 in the rear. The Long Range gets really impressive efficiency, so, they've figured something out there. A 255 on a 9.5 is a "stretched" tire in that it's at the upper end of the rim width range for the tire. This all makes engineering sense when you sit and think about it for a minute. And it also makes sense that they didn't have the option to change the widths and tire sizes for X's because they didn't do any body mods to fit a bigger package - it's the same exact sizes as the old model, with slightly different widths/offsets depending on spec

And, 270 and 280 width is not a thing. It'd be 275 and 285 front and rear, if you went up a size.

Also, read all of the fitment guides on here.

Then go to tirerack.com and look for tires you might want

Last edited:
Hey thanks for this. So if I go for the 22x9.5, 22x10.5 I can just put the stock tires on both. It would actually make my upgrade easier since I can take the tires off my Cyberstream rims.

Do you happen to know if I can also swap the TPMS the old wheels to the new ones easily enough?

A 22" wheel is going to ride sig worse for both ride quality and efficiency. The TPMS is held in with a nut, I forget what size. Easy to swap. I try to avoid a staggered setup if possible so I can rotate my wheels. Especially when our cars have uncorrectable rear toe.