Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket front camera using your phone screen - review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve been getting a lot of DMs on IG (same handle as here) so I figure I help out the community with an aftermarket mod I did if you have trouble seeing the front edge of your bumper.

So a little short history. I’m really modded and I have an aftermarket carbon fiber front lip on the car. The UPP front bumper edge already protrudes past stock 3” and I have another 3” lip that’s installed beyond that. So of course I have a little trouble seeing the front curb edge / fire lane overhang (parking backwards). So I decided to get a front camera.

I did not want another screen. That was #1 priority to me and I didn’t want to electrical tap. There were a few more requirements I wanted and luckily I was able to find one on Amazon that checked all the boxes

✅small and descreet
✅local wifi connection for viewing
✅usb powered
✅guide lines
✅voice activated app to open display

The only downside to the camera is that it’s 720p but for parking purposes it works great. I mounted it as far back as I could but yes you can put it as far forward as you could to be more accurate but then you’ll see the camera.

IMG_8032.jpeg
IMG_8033.jpeg
IMG_8035.jpeg

And here’s my car if you ever wanted to see a really modded Y.

IMG_7951.jpeg

The links are below on what I bought. You’ll need to take out your frunk, route the cable to the passenger side, and go in the footwell of that area, and from there to your cubby. You’ll need to buy both. I only mention a brief overview of the product in this post.

PLEASE READ WHAT THE LINKS SAY AND SCROLL THROUGH ALL THE PICTURES BEFORE ASKING REDUNDANT QUESTIONS THAT CAN BE FOUND IN THE LINKS.

Last edited:
Does it require a special app on your phone to see the picture? Or does it serve as a web server and let you browse to a webpage on your Tesla browser to see the picture?
There’s an app. When you’re close to something you say "hey siri open JoyTrip” and the app opens and the view pops up on your phone. A lot of us are using a phone mount near the screen and after speaking it auto opens. The app will force the wifi to the in car to connect and the view will pop up

Reactions: TimTam
Nice writeup. With the removal of USS, a camera like this is even more important. If you don't mind an extra monitor which was something TwoK4drSI wanted to avoid, there are some good options. If you are fine with a battery powered mount that seems to last months between charging, you can always go with this option.

I just keep it in the console and pull it out when needed. An extra step but most of the time I don't have my phone on a mount anyway so I'd have to pull my phone out to look at it. It will also support 2 monitors if you want but you can't see them both at the same time which could be handy.

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
So I’ve been getting a lot of DMs on IG (same handle as here) so I figure I help out the community with an aftermarket mod I did if you have trouble seeing the front edge of your bumper.

So a little short history. I’m really modded and I have an aftermarket carbon fiber front lip on the car. The UPP front bumper edge already protrudes past stock 3” and I have another 3” lip that’s installed beyond that. So of course I have a little trouble seeing the front curb edge / fire lane overhang (parking backwards). So I decided to get a front camera.

I did not want another screen. That was #1 priority to me and I didn’t want to electrical tap. There were a few more requirements I wanted and luckily I was able to find one on Amazon that checked all the boxes

✅small and descreet
✅local wifi connection for viewing
✅usb powered
✅guide lines
✅voice activated app to open display

The only downside to the camera is that it’s 720p but for parking purposes it works great. I mounted it as far back as I could but yes you can put it as far forward as you could to be more accurate but then you’ll see the camera.

View attachment 947510View attachment 947511View attachment 947512

And here’s my car if you ever wanted to see a really modded Y.

View attachment 947513

The links are below on what I bought. You’ll need to take out your frunk, route the cable to the passenger side, and go in the footwell of that area, and from there to your cubby. You’ll need to buy both. I only mention a brief overview of the product in this post.

PLEASE READ WHAT THE LINKS SAY AND SCROLL THROUGH ALL THE PICTURES BEFORE ASKING REDUNDANT QUESTIONS THAT CAN BE FOUND IN THE LINKS.

You just saved me a few hundred bucks in not needing to get the rear camera mirror setup in the semi near future. I had no idea WiFi versions existed. Thank you!

Reactions: TwoK4drSi